Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone use an Apple AirPort?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DC++ Compatible Router

Old 09-11-2006, 18:19   #1
saycheese
Inactive

Services: 4MB
saycheese is on a distinguished roadsaycheese is on a distinguished road
DC++ Compatible Router

Can anyone reccomend a Router that works with DC++ and XBOXLIVE as the Linksys BEFSR41 Router that i bought a few days ago seems to be incompatible with DC++.Cheers.
saycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2006, 19:29   #2
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DC++ Compatible Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese View Post
Can anyone reccomend a Router that works with DC++ and XBOXLIVE as the Linksys BEFSR41 Router that i bought a few days ago seems to be incompatible with DC++.Cheers.
Try manual port forwarding - I found that this is a common prob on uPnP routers... Looks like DC++ has uPnP implementation limitations
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17   #3
saycheese
Inactive

I've tried all methods including port forwarding but it wont work, and i posted on the DC++ forum asking for help but they cant find a solution yet
http://dcpp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19108
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25   #4
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese View Post
I've tried all methods including port forwarding but it wont work, and i posted on the DC++ forum asking for help but they cant find a solution yet
http://dcpp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19108
I would ensure that your network connections for you computer are not set up to be configured by dhcp but manually first - try the following tcp/ip settings in windows:

ip 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.2
dns 192.168.1.2

Then try and set up the port forwarding on the router, forwarding any incoming ports that dc++ uses for connections to the same port on your computer, ip address 192.168.1.2.

Don't touch any settings in dc++ except to make a note of the port it will use for port forwarding (in your screen dumps from the other forum its ports 1248 and 1250) and ensure that the 'firewall with manual port forwarding' option is selected.

I've had a very similar set up with the same router for a very long time without so much as a hitch.

If all else fails, you could always set your computer (now manually configured ip address of 192.168.1.2) to be a DMZ host in your router set up, so it will have a direct connection (as far as software is concerned) to the internet. Please note though that you will have to ensure you have an up-to-date firewall installed on your computer if you haven't already.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:45   #5
saycheese
Inactive

Thanks for the help opelfruitcase,i've tried the settings that you suggested but my routers ip address is 192.168.1.1 and when i put the gateway in as 192.168.1.2 and dns 192.168.1.2 i lose my internet connection. Do i just need to change my ip to a static 192.168.1.2 by using 192.168.1.1 for gateway and dns?as i tried this and DC++ still won't work this way.I also tried the dmz but it disconnects me from the internet and i have to obtain an ip address automatically to get back online.
Old 10-11-2006, 14:02   #6
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, error on my part. You are correct in saying that dns and gateway should be 192.168.1.1.

If you've tried all that and it still doesn't work, have you also tried power cycling the router? Or maybe even a full reset (pushing the reset button at the back with a paperclip and going through what I suggested earlier again).

Does it work if you only allow passive connections?
Old 10-11-2006, 15:04   #7
saycheese
Inactive

Ive tried resetting the router unplugging it and resetting to factory defaults but it makes no difference.I can use passive mode ok but the searches are only about 10% of what i should be getting from DC++ but i might have to settle for that.Is it normal to get a different Internet IP Address when i have the modem plugged in to the pc directly to when im using the router?i mean the ip that begins 82 not the one that begins 192.
Old 10-11-2006, 15:26   #8
opelfruitcase
Inactive

Thats right - the 82.x.x.x ip address is your external (internet) ip - this ip will be similar to what the router sees when its connected to the internet. You will normally have an 192.x.x.x ip configured on your computer as this is the local ip address that your computer uses to identify itself on your home network (i.e. your side rather than the internet side of the router).
Old 10-11-2006, 15:58   #9
saycheese
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruitcase View Post
Thats right - the 82.x.x.x ip address is your external (internet) ip - this ip will be similar to what the router sees when its connected to the internet. You will normally have an 192.x.x.x ip configured on your computer as this is the local ip address that your computer uses to identify itself on your home network (i.e. your side rather than the internet side of the router).
Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-11-2006, 16:19   #10
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

I had these firewall rules

IE port forward both UDP and TCP ports 555 to the internal machine.

Notably they are now commented out as I don't use DC++ anymore just tried it for a few days what a piece of junk.

### dc++ to f1
#iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 0/0 -p tcp --dport 555 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.240:555
#iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 0/0 -p udp --dport 555 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.240:555
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote