Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old Xbox network help Bridge?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Remote Access Help

Old 31-08-2009, 21:30   #1
pjvm50
Inactive

pjvm50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remote Access Help

I have just upgraded to VM 50Mb Service.

I have purchased a New Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router because I didn't like the one supplied.

The problem I have is trying to access the router remotely, I type in the WAN IP to no avail - cannot find it.

Can anyone help?
pjvm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2009, 21:34   #2
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Remote Access Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvm50 View Post
I have just upgraded to VM 50Mb Service.

I have purchased a New Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router because I didn't like the one supplied.

The problem I have is trying to access the router remotely, I type in the WAN IP to no avail - cannot find it.

Can anyone help?
Assuming that you have switched on remote access on the router, you usually have to type a port number following the IP address, e.g.:

10.2.2.2:8181

I am using the above as an example, you wouldn't be using a local address and the port number may differ.

to Cable Forum.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 21:38   #3
pjvm50
Inactive

Yes, I have tried the IP address on its own and followed by :8080 and even :80

I've even added the Modem MAC Address to the Router...
Old 31-08-2009, 21:41   #4
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes, I have tried the IP address on its own and followed by :8080 and even :80

I've even added the Modem MAC Address to the Router...
And your trying this from a different Internet connection other than your own?
Old 31-08-2009, 21:48   #5
pjvm50
Inactive

Yes, I've tried my works PC and through my mobile browser.

If I try on my home network it delivers the log in screen for my router with no problems.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:51   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:

If I try on my home network it delivers the log in screen for my router with no problems.
Fireblocking anything?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 21:52   #7
Toto
Inactive

Quote:

And you're typing your public IP address and port number on your internal network and it works, but on other networks it doesn't right?

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Fireblocking anything?
If the O/P has turned on remote management, there shouldn't be a firewall issue.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:57   #8
pjvm50
Inactive

I have found on my internal network I do not require the port number, just use the WAN IP.

I think the remote access allows access through the Firewall.

Contacted Belkin - they gave advice on 'Clone' MAC Address, this doesn't seem to be correct?
Old 31-08-2009, 22:01   #9
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
I have found on my internal network I do not require the port number, just use the WAN IP.

I think the remote access allows access through the Firewall.

Contacted Belkin - they gave advice on 'Clone' MAC Address, this doesn't seem to be correct?
Yeh, that advice sucks...that's just for getting the router to talk to the DHCP, it works on the principal that you need to register your computer MAC address, which you don't on Virgin Media.

So, just so I am clear, what is the first two parts of the the IP address you type when you try to access your router from work? Just the first two octets, not the whole IP address please.
Old 31-08-2009, 22:03   #10
pjvm50
Inactive

are the first two
Old 31-08-2009, 22:07   #11
Toto
Inactive

Quote:

are the first two
Hmmm, ok, well you're definitely on the right track, the only thing I can think of is that remote access hasn't been enabled at the router. If it is though, I am not sure why its not working.

The other thing of course is that you may have been typing the wrong IP address, is that possible?
Old 31-08-2009, 22:12   #12
pjvm50
Inactive

Remote Access is showing as 'enabled', the WAN IP is shown on the Router Homescreen and also on sites that tell you your IP address.

I can't think of anything else it can be....

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

I've also checked for Firmware Updates - non available at present.
Old 31-08-2009, 22:13   #13
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Remote Access is showing as 'enabled', the WAN IP is shown on the Router Homescreen and also on sites that tell you your IP address.

I can't think of anything else it can be....

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

I've also checked for Firmware Updates - non available at present.
If it allows you to specify your own port, try a hight port number such as 5000, its a long shot but sometimes works.
Old 31-08-2009, 22:14   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Errr, put it this way I can access your remote management on port 8080, so it probably is your NAT stopping you from doing so...most people have problems accessing the router on the WAN IP from an internal IP on the same WAN.

But yes your remote management is working and I would suggest you change the port to a non-standard number

Thread moved to NETWORKING
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 22:17   #15
pjvm50
Inactive

Thanks for that, any pointers on how to go about this?