Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speedtest to Woking gives 1ms ping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Speedtest to Woking gives 1ms ping

Old 05-12-2016, 18:44   #1
karma mechanic
cf.member

karma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enough
Speedtest to Woking gives 1ms ping

Whenever I use Speedtest I get 10-15ms ping and approx 73/74 Mbps down on a 70 connection. Generally it selects Newbury or Brentford.

But just now it used a server I hadn't seen before - Woking.

Pretty much the same for speeds, but where does this repeatable ping of 1ms come from?

(Yes, I've looked under my desk to see if they've located it there)
karma mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 18:46   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Speedtest to Woking gives 1ms ping

The lower the ping the better.

I would love 1ms
Old 05-12-2016, 21:28   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma mechanic View Post
Whenever I use Speedtest I get 10-15ms ping and approx 73/74 Mbps down on a 70 connection. Generally it selects Newbury or Brentford.

But just now it used a server I hadn't seen before - Woking.

Pretty much the same for speeds, but where does this repeatable ping of 1ms come from?

(Yes, I've looked under my desk to see if they've located it there)
Wow, aren't you a lucky boy!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:33   #4
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Now cross your fingers that by some miracle Woking becomes the hub for all things internet in the future
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:12   #5
karma mechanic
cf.member

karma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enough

Oh well, it didn't last:

I've always let it choose the server based on ping, so it is back to Cowes, Newbury, Maidenhead etc. all giving pretty much the same.

Still not sure how Woking was consistently giving 1ms but that would certainly make it the chosen server. (And not under my desk, in case anyone was actually wondering).
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I believe that VM themselves run some of the speed test servers for VM customers, meaning it could have (literally) been within the VM network itself.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:51   #7
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I used to get pings of 5 - 10ms to London on VM but in recent years it's more like 18 - 24ms, some of that could be to do with the Hub 3 issues but even when I used a SH2ac it had higher pings than the SH1.

VM running their own speed test servers is also sketchy depending on how you look at it. These only show up when connected via a VM connection. Customers are likely to see these and pick them (if it don't pick them automatically), This masks VM's often (from experience) overloaded peering to other UK/international networks, while a speed test to VM's own servers is mostly okay.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:43   #8
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
VM running their own speed test servers is also sketchy depending on how you look at it. These only show up when connected via a VM connection. Customers are likely to see these and pick them (if it don't pick them automatically), This masks VM's often (from experience) overloaded peering to other UK/international networks, while a speed test to VM's own servers is mostly okay.
I don't think VM can really be held responsible for a lack of understanding on the end-user's part. I mean, the point of a good test (for anything, be it broadband or bromine) is to remove as many variables as possible to get a consistent outcome. Cutting out all the network hops to 3rd party networks helps determine that at least the user's connection is running ok. Getting slow speeds on one of those tests is definitely a Virgin issue, whereas getting slow speeds to a server in another part of the country might well be peering (Which I wouldn't go so far as to say isn't Virgin's issue, but certainly isn't necessarily their "fault").

At least you've always got the option. You don't have to use their server, you can use any server you want and get the best of both worlds. If you, as a user, aren't aware enough of what you're seeing, then I suspect there's a good chance that you might have a problem that isn't actually Virgin's concern anyway (i.e. "Facebook is down, Fix it Virgin!").
Old 07-12-2016, 14:17   #9
karma mechanic
cf.member

It wasn't the speed I was curious about, that seems to be a rock-solid 73/74 every time irrespective of server. It was getting a ping of 1ms several times for Woking (International School of London) when all others routinely give 10-15ms.

I can understand something as low as 5ms occasionally with the wind blowing in the right direction but 1ms seemed implausible. Especially on a SH3. Tracert shows 15ms to Southampton core...
Old 07-12-2016, 14:24   #10
Kushan

I think 1ms is theoretically possible? Though you're tight, it's likely a mistake. Where are you based, how far away is Woking?

Also note that it's not unheard of for some Antiviruses to interfere with speed tests, I believe Kaspersky was once known for it and produced impossibly fast speeds as a result.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:31   #11
karma mechanic
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think 1ms is theoretically possible? Though you're tight, it's likely a mistake. Where are you based, how far away is Woking?

Also note that it's not unheard of for some Antiviruses to interfere with speed tests, I believe Kaspersky was once known for it and produced impossibly fast speeds as a result.
I'm in the Eastleigh area, so it goes through Southampton. Woking is around 50 miles away.

No changes on my machine, same AV (Avast!) and so on. Seems to be the normal and expected pings now so we'll probably never know.

(The two with Woking at 1ms also show the highest upload speeds, 5.29 and 5.33Mb/s, compared to the more typical 5.10 to 5.19Mb/s spanning the 20 or so other results I've got a record of. Significant?

Last edited by karma mechanic; 07-12-2016 at 14:35.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:49   #12
Kushan

50miles? 1ms is definitely theoretically possible then. Theoretically.

You're right, we'll probably never know!
Old 17-12-2016, 19:28   #13
JoelTheSuperior
Inactive

JoelTheSuperior is on a distinguished roadJoelTheSuperior is on a distinguished road

I'd be willing to suspect there's an issue somewhere. It's theoretically possible, yes, but really, really unlikely simply because of how DOCSIS technology works unless you've got a ridiculously good connection somehow.

I'm no longer with Virgin Media due to their appalling customer service, but I was seeing a similar glitch recently on AAISP - some speedtest servers were giving very low pings (1ms) despite the fact that my pings to AAISP themselves is around 6.7ms.

Regarding the peering, I can definitely understand why people would be concerned about Virgin Media running speedtest servers. In my experience most of the contention issues Virgin Media have are between the cabinet and one's premises but having now used another ISP I'm quite frankly surprised by how much better some websites (i.e. YouTube) perform now. Virgin Media's peering, as I recall, is nowhere near as bad now as it once was but it's definitely more contended than what other ISPs have.
JoelTheSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 00:55   #14
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

Speedtest.net intermittently shows completely incorrect values for pings. Don't pay much attention to the ping statistic.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 22:54   #15
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Note above that 314meg is now faster than only 98% of GB!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote