Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow speed after getting asus rtn66u

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow speed after getting asus rtn66u

Old 29-11-2016, 21:55   #1
millydog
cf.member

millydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow speed after getting asus rtn66u

Hi, I have just set up a new ASUS RT N66U router. i irst put the shub 2 in
modem mode and done a speed test it shows 129 meg compared to 200meg when the superhub is on its own

i have checked the speed on hardware on my imac and it shows 1000 for the ethernet side

i thought that the speed would not drop using the shub as a modem only
i have also updated the firmware on the asus. this made no difference
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2016, 22:13   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: slow speed after getting asus rtn66u

The router is only an N router and therefore is actually slower than the Hub in wireless mode.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 22:26   #3
millydog
cf.member

millydog is an unknown quantity at this point

i did check the wired speed and it was still slower
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 00:02   #4
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you changed any settings related to quality of service or other features which could reduce the WAN to LAN throughput?

According to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools...-lan-to-wan/17 it should handle 800mbps WAN to LAN.

Try resetting to factory defaults if you didn't already do that after the firmware upgrade.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:59   #5
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

The RT-N66U is old and not the best choice for 200Mbps.

I bought one years ago when I was on 50Mb and still have it today on 200Mb. I'm running the Merlin WRT firmware version 350.58 and this allows me to get 218Mbps on a wired speed test and up to 200Mbps but more usually 160Mbps over wireless.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:33   #6
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

How does the RT-N56U compare?
Currently running with SH3 210/21Mb over 5Ghz because using network card only 100Mb wired.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:26   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
The RT-N66U is old and not the best choice for 200Mbps.

I bought one years ago when I was on 50Mb and still have it today on 200Mb. I'm running the Merlin WRT firmware version 350.58 and this allows me to get 218Mbps on a wired speed test and up to 200Mbps but more usually 160Mbps over wireless.
I get 317Mb download very happily over ethernet from my RT-N66U. In the same room my laptop gets >300Mb via WiFi.

Millydog's problem could be something as simple as faulty or below spec ethernet cable of the patch cable. Is it CAT 5e or 6? Are you using any cables in the system that you weren't before, e.g. between the SHub and the router?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:14   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Have the same router on 200mbit without any issues. If you're using wireless then all bets are off - but the router is capable of 200mbit wireless as long as your other hardware (phone/tablet/laptop) is up to the job.

You almost certainly won't get 200Mbit on 2.4Ghz so make sure you're connected to the 5ghz band. As others have said, check QoS settings and make sure that's not enabled. Make sure you've not done anything to disable hardware acceleration (Web filters and some other options disable this).

Do all your testing over Ethernet first before trying wireless. Too many variables with wireless.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:00   #9
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Slow speed after getting asus rtn66u

With the Asus routers, you need to make sure CTF and FA is enabled to get the full speed.

I'm on 300meg, I get poor speeds on my router (an RT AC87u) without these enabled.

This does mean disabling QoS etc.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 13:30   #10
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Check that you have QoS disabled.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:58   #11
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
With the Asus routers, you need to make sure CTF and FA is enabled to get the full speed.

I'm on 300meg, I get poor speeds on my router (an RT AC87u) without these enabled.

This does mean disabling QoS etc.
Don't know what CTF OR FA are ? Where are they in the ASUS menu.

I have customised QoS enabled and have always got full speed.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:06   #12
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

CTF is "cut through forwarding"
FA is "Flow acceleration"

You don't enable either, they enable themselves if conditions are met.

CTF is needed to hit much above 200mbit, and is a good idea over 100mbit, FA is probably not required until over 300mbit.

CTF will work with adaptive QoS, FA requires QoS disabled.

There is a link that talks about them here: http://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

But port forwarding works for me even with both on.

Tools->system info will tell you which is on, as per this image:

Last edited by rtho782; 02-12-2016 at 18:09.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:46   #13
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Thanks of for that rtha782. Another good to know info.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote