Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone with an S7 Edge?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anyone with an S7 Edge?

Old 20-10-2016, 09:42   #1
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones
Anyone with an S7 Edge?

Hi all,
I received by new S7 Edge last Friday, having come from a two year old note 4, I simply downloaded all the apps I was currently using thinking that would be just fine. I noticed that night that the phone had dropped 6% in as many hours just sat on the floor, only things on being wifi and AOD. Figured I'd give it a couple of days to settle in. So yesterday I tried wiping the cache, no improvement, so in the end I just did a factory reset. The only two apps I've installed are Facebook and Messenger (use them for work) everything else is stock. I'm still getting 6% battery drain at night, and worse, it visually chomps through battery life if I so much as touch the thing! I picked it up at 7am at 44%. Browsed a couple of websites via chrome, popped it down, checked a few emails, put it down etc.. by 815am it was at 25%. SO, question is, do these phones take a week or so to bed in OR do I have a screwy battery?
Sorry to ask yet another battery related question!
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2016, 13:38   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Anyone with an S7 Edge?

Have you looked in "Battery" under settings and checked the Battery Usage utility which will give you an indication as to which apps are draining the most juice by percentage?

6% battery drain overnight doesnt sound unusual though, that's pretty much what my S6 would lose in a similar time period sat idle.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:05   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

6% overnight isn't really a big drop to be honest.
Old 20-10-2016, 15:29   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

I've got a new S6, not the same I realise, but I lose double that at least overnight.
You can tweak the apps somewhere in the battery settings, some of the apps get monitored for three days before power saving is applied.
In a nutshell I would say you're fine.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 16:50   #5
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Charge it overnight, use it throughout the day and check the battery before you go to bed. There's no use in judging it from idling overnight or using it from 44%.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:26   #6
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

You have the always on display turned on and that can kill your battery. Turn it off and see how much it drains overnight with it off.

Last edited by cimt; 20-10-2016 at 17:38.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:16   #7
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

I used to scrap the battery in the older s models and replace them with giant Anker ones. Took forever to charge but 50% was essentially a full load under the original. Never owned a Samsung for a while now but have they joined in with non removable batteries?
Old 20-10-2016, 19:24   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I set mine to Do Not Disturb overnight, with the exception of family that's in my Favourites.
Old 20-10-2016, 19:56   #9
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

AOD according to Samsung uses just under 1% battery per hour.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:14   #10
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Check what connections you have enabled, I.e. Bluetooth, wifi etc. Also reduce the screen brightness
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 19:16   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My Note 4 is connected to my Gear S2 watch 24/7.

Overnight I lose around 10% power
Old 15-11-2016, 02:09   #12
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

get EZ Package Disabler or Package Disabler Pro app. open it and disable all bloatware.
Always On Display turn it off.
auto brightness turn it off. make screen low.
change screen to 720p resolution if you have the new update Android 7.0 nougat
Smart stay features, gestures etc you don't use turn it off.
LED indicator off
go to samsung theme store and download dark or black theme to save battery.
get black wallpaper. use night mode on app's that support it.
delete the app's you don't need.
if you still having problems then get a iPhone 7 Plus its got excellent standby time and excellent screen on time.

Last edited by Paul M; 15-11-2016 at 04:26. Reason: Read the rules.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:59   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Why not just use the Ultra Saving Mode under battery..you'll save loads of power but using your Edge won't be as much fun..

Yes my Samsung Galaxy 6 uses up loads of power but I can just plug it in and refresh the power within a couple of hours when I'm not using it..
Old 15-11-2016, 22:41   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Other option is to buy a battery charger, I have one that can charge 3 USB devices at the same time.

I can charge up to 8/9 devices before battery dies, then I just charge it via a standard phone charger.