Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Removing Virgin Media wiring?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Removing Virgin Media wiring?

Old 28-09-2016, 22:19   #1
AFM
Inactive

AFM is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing Virgin Media wiring?

As the thread title.

Have been with Virgin Media (and their predecessors) for last 18 years after swapping to them following the collapse of Ionica, but have got fed up with price increases so am going elsewhere.

Is it OK to strip out Virgin Media's wiring for both the cable modem and phone line. If so, any specific things I should (or should not) do?

I would like to remove the wiring as I want to re-use the locations and holes for the new service.
AFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2016, 22:40   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Removing Virgin Media wiring?

I would recommend leaving the white box at the entry point for future use
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 23:08   #3
AFM
Inactive

There is a grey cover outside?

So presumably outside of that box just take a pair of cable snips and get cutting.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:18   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Don't make a mess just to prove a point. Anything that's not genuinely in your way, you should leave alone. If you sell the house, having it pre-wired for cable is a selling point.

Ideally, you should leave all the exterior cabling and the outdoor box alone. You should also leave the interior omnibox where the cable enters the house alone. Any internal cable after that, you can remove easily.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:13   #5
AFM
Inactive

Absolutely not about making a point, just simply that it won't be needed, and I would like to use the space for the new fittings.

The current wiring comes out of a grey box outside the front door and then through a hole into the garage. From the garage one part goes into the house to the omnibox upstairs for the cable modem and a (no longer used) phone socket. The other part of the cable continues on it the other garage wall, along the house and to a phone socket in the living room. There is no TV.

My intention was to remove all the cables all the way back to the grey box outside, as the routing of the cables will be used for the new service, and I would prefer not to drill any more holes in the house.

I didn't want to go delving into the grey box outside, hence the question about is it OK just to cut the cables there.
Old 29-09-2016, 19:09   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM View Post
Absolutely not about making a point, just simply that it won't be needed, and I would like to use the space for the new fittings.

The current wiring comes out of a grey box outside the front door and then through a hole into the garage. From the garage one part goes into the house to the omnibox upstairs for the cable modem and a (no longer used) phone socket. The other part of the cable continues on it the other garage wall, along the house and to a phone socket in the living room. There is no TV.

My intention was to remove all the cables all the way back to the grey box outside, as the routing of the cables will be used for the new service, and I would prefer not to drill any more holes in the house.

I didn't want to go delving into the grey box outside, hence the question about is it OK just to cut the cables there.
The answer to that is NO the cable may still be connected at the cab and you could be introducing interference into the network.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 19:17   #7
AFM
Inactive

So will Virgin Media come and remove their cables? If so, who do I speak to?
Old 30-09-2016, 11:03   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No they won't.

Just leave the cables where they are. They are doing no harm.

I have just left VM for Sky and have a new Openreach socket right next to the VM one.
Old 30-09-2016, 13:41   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Simple answer would be to open the Omni-box unscrew the outgoing cables & fit terminator caps. Then re-secure the Omni-box cover. Then you can do what you like with the wiring on "your" side of the Omni, as its no longer part of the network.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 17:36   #10
AFM
Inactive

Thanks for the advice. I have just taken the cover off the Onmibox to see what is inside.

For the coax cable I can certainly unscrew it from the connection that is running into the house. However as I don't have a terminator cap, that will have to be left as it is with nothing on the end of the F connector.

For the phone line cables, I don't see any other option other than to snip the wires.
Old 30-09-2016, 20:51   #11
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Yea that's fine for the phone wires. Ideally you would cap of the RF but it's not the end of the world, if it causes noise, network will filter your drop and as you're not active no harm done. If you want VM in future you won't be able to have a QuickStart
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:52   #12
AFM
Inactive

As an update, when the BT Openreach installer turned up they decided to reuse the VirginMedia phone wiring to install the BT service rather than install their own.