Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bad Broadband Quality Monitor results after Homeworker+ 300Mbit upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bad Broadband Quality Monitor results after Homeworker+ 300Mbit upgrade

Old 28-08-2016, 06:41   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Bad Broadband Quality Monitor results after Homeworker+ 300Mbit upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If it causes you too much agro the only thing you can do is drop back down to 200mbits and ask for a new shub2 (they won't reactivate your old one) which you might have to go through retentions for.

I wish the government would pass a law where they can get fined for this kind of thing because it is so frustrating. They are knowingly selling a faulty product.
Totally agree regarding legislation. (Interesting that Miscrosoft got fined for forcing people with below spec legacy machines onto Windows 10 through the auto-update arrangement.) VM's position is unsubstainable. They tried to argue, when I spoke to them, that modem-only mode is only there as a favour to techy types and that they can't be responsible for minority fads. My retort was that many people are with VM because they have the option of modem-only and that the big fat button allowing modem-only indicates that this is a major feature, not a fad.

Any attempt to restore SH2 is doomed to fail. If anyone succeeds I would be most interested, given my experience. (See below) I have taken my case to the ombudsman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
They should be able to put the sh2 back on if you downgrade as the MAC should be still on your account as a second deactivated hub
I tried that. CS told me I could go back to SH2 if I downgraded to 200Mb, but when I got to the technical department to reconnect my SH2 they refused and said it was not company policy. I took it to management level and the curt response was that the company's policy was to move forward, not backwards. I ended up restoring 300Mb since I was stuck with SH3.

Fortunately, the Homeworks team were able to solve my 30 minute drop outs by, they say, increasing my power levels and by re-routing my connection, whatever that means. This did the trick - no more drop outs that I have noticed. However, I cannot be sure about my connection quality because the reroute came with in IP change. TBB monitors won't work with this IP.

Here's my power levels.

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency(Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR(dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 299000000 -1 40.3 256 qam 13
2 323000000 -1.7 40.3 256 qam 16
3 315000000 -1.5 40.9 256 qam 15
4 307000000 -1.5 40.3 256 qam 14
5 291000000 -0.9 40.3 256 qam 12
6 283000000 -0.5 40.9 256 qam 11
7 275000000 -0.4 40.9 256 qam 10
8 267000000 -0.2 40.9 256 qam 9
9 259000000 0 40.9 256 qam 8
10 251000000 0.2 40.9 256 qam 7
11 243000000 0.4 40.9 256 qam 6
12 235000000 0.9 40.9 256 qam 5
13 227000000 1.7 40.3 256 qam 4
14 219000000 2 40.9 256 qam 3
15 211000000 2.2 40.9 256 qam 2
16 203000000 2.2 40.3 256 qam 1

Upstream bonded channels
Channel ID Frequency(Hz) Modulation Power (dBmV) Mode Channel Bandwidth(Hz) Symbol Rate (ksps)
60 25800000 ATDMA 37.8 16 qam 6400000 5120
58 39400000 ATDMA 39.5 16 qam 6400000 5120

Modem device information
The information below shows the current status of this Modem.

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.88T
Cable MAC address : ***************
Cable modem serial number : **************
System up time : 16 days 19h:27m:24s
Network Access : Blocked

Edit.............................................. ...........................................

Muddy! my CMTS Mac is: CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:74:4a:74 Is that Cisco or Arris? Just wondering, perhaps that is what my reroute was all about.

Last edited by roughbeast; 28-08-2016 at 07:45.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2016, 09:02   #17
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Hello Roughie

Your CMTS is registered to Cadant which is part of the Arris group.

As to the reroute, it's not instinctively a solution to my mind unless they've sioft re-routed your MAC address to a different CMTS which may have had its firmware changed.

You said you had an IP address change. I don't suppose you've got the CMTS MAC address from before the IP address change?

And what's this about the BQM not working with your current IP address? You left that one hanging.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:08   #18
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Hello Roughie

Your CMTS is registered to Cadant which is part of the Arris group.

As to the reroute, it's not instinctively a solution to my mind unless they've sioft re-routed your MAC address to a different CMTS which may have had its firmware changed.

You said you had an IP address change. I don't suppose you've got the CMTS MAC address from before the IP address change?

And what's this about the BQM not working with your current IP address? You left that one hanging.
I didn't check the CMTS MAC address before the IP change so I have no idea if the changes happened before, after or at the same time as each other. "Reroute" was Homeworks term for what they had done. Interesting that I am still connected via the troublesome Arris card.If a CMTS software change is part of the solution, I guess VM will be getting onto that really quickly.

Using my current IP, my BQM looks like this:

Edit.............................................. ......

Oops! ICMP now allowed.

Last edited by roughbeast; 28-08-2016 at 09:46.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:12   #19
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Is everything set correctly in the Hub 3? Like Firewall off. Or are youy in modem mode and ICMP needs allowing in the router?

Old 28-08-2016, 09:15   #20
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Is everything set correctly in the Hub 3? Like Firewall off. Or are youy in modem mode and ICMP needs allowing in the router?

Modem only. That is where my previous trouble started.

Edit.............................................. ...................................

ICMP Ah! Is that the ping response thingy? Just enabled it.

Last edited by roughbeast; 28-08-2016 at 09:20.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:21   #21
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Good.

Old 28-08-2016, 09:29   #22
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Good.
The red curtain is pulling back on my BMQ, letting the light in. Can't wait to see what it shows.

I had forgotten about ICMP. TA
Old 29-08-2016, 11:10   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
With regard to the bit I've highlighted in red, what are you saying? It seems that you have made the latency additive (as in 16 * .32ms = 5.12ms).

How can that be? Bonding is a parallel function using Frequency Division Multiplexing. It is not additive.
Good to see you listen to me. It's usually wasted effort but not unknown for me to say something useful
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 13:16   #24
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Carl,

All listen to you,

Some ignore you,

Some get upset by you,

etc,etc

However, normally what you say is most useful and knowledgeable.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 14:22   #25
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

.... And some have had a curry with you.

Old 29-08-2016, 20:56   #26
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
.... And some have had a curry with you.
.... and are overdue another
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 22:11   #27
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Get a room!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 23:36   #28
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

wow that latency jump reminds me of the difference between the vmng300 modem and superhub 1.

Yes the vmng300 is still next to where I am sitting.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:58   #29
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
wow that latency jump reminds me of the difference between the vmng300 modem and superhub 1.
Yes the vmng300 is still next to where I am sitting.
Still have my vmng300 as well

As for graphs, have a look at the these, not much going on at this time, but still a difference. Perhaps it's just the technologies are showing up ??

That's a HG612 on BT and Hub3 on VM.

adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote