Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Two tivo boxes, three TV's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Two tivo boxes, three TV's

Old 29-06-2016, 20:18   #1
Maxxyjazz
Inactive

Maxxyjazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Two tivo boxes, three TV's

Hello everyone,

I have two TiVo boxes which I am going to link together by plugging one into the router and the other I will use power line to send the signal over the mains. I will attach a tv to each box direct by hdmi. What I would like to know is can I connect a third tv to this set up. I am thinking of taking the signal from the power line/mains. I have a hdmi-Ethernet convertor so I was going to try that. It can send an IR signal or I could just use my phone to change channel.

What does anybody think or am I going about this the wrong way.

Cheers

M
Maxxyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2016, 20:24   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Two tivo boxes, three TV's

Moved to TV Forum.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 22:53   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The easiest way to connect a second TV to a TiVo is to use the SCART socket as well as the HDMI. Or you could use an HDMI splitter. You can't get a picture out of the Ethernet socket.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 13:57   #4
Maxxyjazz
Inactive

Hi,
At the moment I have a TiVo box in a cupboard. The hdmi cable plugs in the back of the TiVo box and into a convertor which then means I can send the signal along an Ethernet cable. At the other end of the cable I have another convertor which has an hdmi output. This allows me to get a picture from an Ethernet socket.
It is also two way so I can send the IR signal from the remote control back to the TiVo box.

M
Old 30-06-2016, 14:20   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer of the convertor to see if they have a way of splitting it
Old 30-06-2016, 16:13   #6
IngwerFuchs
cf.member

IngwerFuchs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest getting a HDMI splitter on one of the boxes. That way you could have the following set up;
TiVO 1 --> HDMI --> TV 1
TiVO 2 --> HDMI splitter --> HDMI --> TV 2
TiVO 2 --> HDMI splitter --> Converter Out --> Cat5 --> Converter In --> TV 3

Don't put the Cat5 through your router - just go straight to the converter in the back of TV 3. Assuming the distance isn't massive you shouldn't get any significant signal loss.

Then with the two TiVo boxes connected via the router you'd be able to share recorded content across your LAN as normal (notwithstanding rights restrictions to do this)
IngwerFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 22:44   #7
Maxxyjazz
Inactive

Cheers I'll give that a go. I was only going to use the router to link the two TiVo boxes.
Can I link them by just using a powerline connection?

M
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Yes, a direct powerline connection should work too
Old 13-07-2016, 09:59   #9
Maxxyjazz
Inactive

Cheers for the advice. Thinking about this now.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/p/hdmi/spl...-hdmi-splitter

M
Old 13-07-2016, 17:19   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Maybe this is what they buy VM TiVos for from eBay?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote