Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How do virtual cards work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How do virtual cards work?

Old 06-05-2016, 18:15   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
How do virtual cards work?

Now that the TiVo STB's use virtual cards, I was wondering how they work and why they didn't use them earlier.

It must have cost VM a small fortune when they swapped everybodys cards after the introduction of Nagra 3.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2016, 20:03   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: How do virtual cards work?

The TiVos effectively have smartcards built into the box hardware. The older boxes don't have this so need a physical card.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 20:29   #3
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...but I thought ALL TIVos can operate cardless now so it can't be implemented in hardware.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 21:01   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...but I thought ALL TIVos can operate cardless now so it can't be implemented in hardware.
Why can't it be?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 15:19   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why can't it be?
I guess it could be if the hardware was there originally in all TiVos but just implemented recently.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 17:32   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Someone who knows more about such things than myself has given me the following response as to why Sky don't move over to virtual cards to save money:

"Virtual cards are far too insecure - it has been tried quite a few times in the past by broadcasters but AFAIK none now use such technology - I wonder why? A viewing card has the equivqlent of a small computer on it - a processor, ROM and RAM - this would have to be built into the receiver in hardware and would be a lot easier to hack - it took NDS using electron microscopes quite a while to break the encryption used by ITV digital and others. Any encryption can be broken given enough time and effort and to circumvent this the encryption companis change their encryption (both hardware within the card and code) on a regular basis and virtually immediately when their system is broken, To do this with "virtual cards" would require replacement of hardware within the STBs or they would be rendered obsolete. This would be far more expensive than a new viewing card".

I have pointed out that VM use virtual cards for their TiVo boxes. I also believe that BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet and YouView use virtual cards too.

Does this new system really make VM encryption less secure??
Old 07-05-2016, 18:18   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No, it doesn't.
Old 14-05-2016, 17:32   #8
andreww342003
cf.member

Services: BT Youview, Humax Freesat
andreww342003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Does this new system really make VM encryption less secure??

They can just update the STB software if the encryption gets compromised, versus having to replace 4+ million smart cards. Also does anyone know if Virgin still use Nagravision or are they using Verimatrix like comhem does with their cardless tivo?
andreww342003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 17:35   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I believe they're using Nagravision 3 at the moment. So far not broken but only a matter of time.
Old 14-05-2016, 20:03   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww342003 View Post
They can just update the STB software if the encryption gets compromised, versus having to replace 4+ million smart cards. Also does anyone know if Virgin still use Nagravision or are they using Verimatrix like comhem does with their cardless tivo?
Which begs the question as to why they used actual cards in the first place

Perhaps the technology simply wasn't available at the time??
Old 14-05-2016, 20:56   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Someone who knows more about such things than myself has given me the following response as to why Sky don't move over to virtual cards to save money:
Big difference: every single VM box has an always-on return path. Sky boxes don't.

No reason why VM can't run software CAMs.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 16:16   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Big difference: every single VM box has an always-on return path. Sky boxes don't.

No reason why VM can't run software CAMs.
Sky used to use the landline connection as a return path, AFAIK they now use the internet.