Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does anyone actually like using Virgin Media?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does anyone actually like using Virgin Media?

Old 27-11-2015, 21:36   #31
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does anyone actually like using Virgin Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
H'mm... And how long does it take to select a programme from on demand and to start watching it on Sky? At least we don't's have to download it first!
Well................... It literally takes about 5-10 seconds for a on demand HD movie to start for me an a TV show or none HD content starts pretty much instantly.. I am happy to film it post it on YouTube? If you do the same on TiVo.

We both start on a live channel and start a on demand movie, see whose movie starts playing first? I suspect Skys instant response to button presses/menu selections will counter any instant movie starts on VM TiVo with its laggy response to button presses/menu selections.
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2015, 12:00   #32
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
Well................... It literally takes about 5-10 seconds for a on demand HD movie to start for me an a TV show or none HD content starts pretty much instantly.. I am happy to film it post it on YouTube? If you do the same on TiVo.

We both start on a live channel and start a on demand movie, see whose movie starts playing first? I suspect Skys instant response to button presses/menu selections will counter any instant movie starts on VM TiVo with its laggy response to button presses/menu selections.
OK, I'll take your word for it, tweedle. Maybe my daughter's box is a bit slow, or perhaps it is the broadband that's causing the delay.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:41   #33
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

I think the service is reasonable. Broadband ok most of the time. TiVo is good but is so slow when you compare the Netflix or YouTube apps against the Roku. Never use the phone. But I must admit recently I have been questioning the cost of it all. I think that will make me cancel ultimately and go somewhere else. I'm at the tipping point in terms of price.
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 11:16   #34
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Just to add my tuppence..

Yeah, the Tivo can be a bit slow sometimes but that's usually related to having almost 200 series links and the EPG updates. We had problems with the 10Mb connection being congested for quite a while, followed closely by our 50Mb having peak-time congestion for the best part of a year. Both are currently performing well.

But in the grand scheme? I did a quick price comparison before taking Line Rental Saver a couple of weeks back and there wasn't much difference. The overall quality of service is excellent and we've certainly never had any major faults that weren't fixed promptly. And whilst I certainly wouldn't pay for BT Sport, it's a very nice bonus for the Premiership & European rugby.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 11:18   #35
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Broadband and phone are good and reliable. The TV lags behind Sky in terms of content and box speed. Sky's new box will leave VM further behind.

What I really don't like is having to haggle with retentions after every frequent price rise. OP - you may have a good deal now, but if you stay with VM for years you'll be amazed how quickly the price spirals if you never haggle/threaten to leave. The annual retentions call is a pain in the backside for all concerned. I've been with cable since 1996, I often wonder what my price would be if I'd never questioned it - I wouldn't be surprised of it was double. I guess there must be many who pay well over the odds, not realising there are such things as being 'out of contract' or that you have to ring up regularly and have a whinge.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 13:50   #36
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Broadband: download good, sometimes excellent. Upload could be better, sometimes poor.

Broadband is the the reason I have cable. If you have good broadband and access to certain places, you really don't need anything else...

Phone: Never used it, so don't know. Last time I checked five years ago caller ID wasn't even available in my area. Don't know about now.

TV: The biggest frustration about cable has always been about its tv service and I'm not talking about anything major, but the minor niggly things that make all the difference.

Cable stbs have always been slow and sluggish. Being able to change channels instantly, should be the norm, not a pipe dream.

The ability not to reorder channels as I want them is a huge frustration. I can order my channels exactly as I want on Freeview.

When did it become a luxury to record tv (tivo/V+) and pay extra for the privilege? And why can't I transfer programmes off the tivo onto a hard disc on my computer to keep the shows. It renders the tivo useless and I've barely used it since I've had it.

And of course the lack of certain main channels has always been an issue.

Cable Tv should be the best, but its always played catch-up to someone else and its user interfaces and hardware have never been up the standard they should be.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:53   #37
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I like it and if people don't then switch and stop moaning about the service.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote