Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do all TiVo's work at the same speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do all TiVo's work at the same speed?

Old 18-11-2015, 12:57   #16
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Do all TiVo's work at the same speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
TiVo has two speed settings, slow and slower still.........
You sure about that old boy?.
Old 18-11-2015, 13:05   #17
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You sure about that old boy?.
Last year I would have agreed with you but not now.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 07:58   #18
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a problem with the general speed of menus - recordings open quickly enough and I'm used to sluggish channel changes on VM boxes.

The problem I find is the slowness of apps like iPlayer. The difference in speed between TiVo iPlayer and that on my Amazon Fire Stick is huge, and I never experience buffering when watching in HD, which was (still is?) a problem on TiVo iPlayer.
knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 16:16   #19
Basisboy
Inactive

Basisboy is on a distinguished roadBasisboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
TiVo has two speed settings, slow and slower still.........

... mine has another - stopped....
Basisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 19:55   #20
Nanor
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with V+ : VM XL BB : VM M Telephone with Talk International
Nanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the rough

I've read in many places that it's not necessary but when my Tivo grinds to a halt I clear out the deleted items folder and notice a major improvement in navigation speed and general responsiveness.
Nanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:14   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Well, I've had my TiVo for a few weeks now.

At first there were some very slight delays, but nothing worth bothering about- but in the last three days it has become much worse.

I did wonder if it's because my recordings are now at 25%- much higher than I have had before. Would this affect it?

I am going to try deleting clearing the deleted items folder like you do Nanor to see if it improves performance- i'll let the thread know if this improves matters.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 19:57   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, just deleted over 200 programmes permanently from the recently deleted folder. I did it one by one as there didn't appear to be any other way. Is there an easier way?

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped with this sudden deterioration of speed- in fact it's got worse.

It's just taken it nearly two minutes to set a programme to record whilst I look at a spinning purple circle
Old 22-04-2016, 20:06   #23
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Programs are stored on the hard disk and doesn't affect the speed of the box.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:02   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Rebooting is the only temporary way to increase speed on TiVo; it soon slows down again however.

No updates for a while now; have VM given up? Either they are concentrating on a new box (for extra cost no doubt), as TiVo can't be improved. Or maybe they are planning to sell the TV side. Sky are leaving them for dust at the moment, and they are the only provider losing customers.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:22   #25
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
No updates for a while now; have VM given up?
You missed this then?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1225.html
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 00:31   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It would be brilliant if that update speeds things up in some way as well as the VOD changes.

Is there anybody here in the pilot areas who can let us know if this is the case or not?