Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | "We're doing some important maintenance work in your area" Letter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

"We're doing some important maintenance work in your area" Letter

Old 15-10-2015, 13:19   #16
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: "We're doing some important maintenance work in your area" Letter

Our street cab was upgraded not too long ago (2 years?). When they did this, they replaced the tap board from memory ..
Old 15-10-2015, 17:26   #17
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Is it only particular cabworks that get notified by letter in advance? Last time there was networks changes going on around here, the first I officially heard was the modem going offline and the status-page & IVR giving the change details.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:43   #18
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's not how the peops will see it, though. Sure, eliminating the splitters that are fitted into some cabinets is a big plus.

I've seen inside many cabs - I'm nerd enough to photograph them. Incidentally the 16 way banks don't have different attenuation vallues from what I've seen. DO the replacements have these?
The build I work on is below ground so doesn't use tap banks (apart from the new build stuff). If I remember rightly from working in different areas on service, if there are 2 16way tap banks in a cab, it will come from the amp into a unbalanced splitter, around 8db one way and 1-2 the other, giving more attenuation on one bank than the other. Some areas use 8 way tap banks with loop throughs.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:05   #19
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I'm guessing the cab cleanup work was carried out here the other day after getting that letter, at least from the result I have.

My power levels have gone up to 12dBmV and decrease to 6dBmV with the 6dB wideband attenuator I was given to originally take my power levels from 6 - 7 down to 3 ish. Thankfully so far it seems stable though.
Whjat did the wideband attenuator do to your upstream?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:28   #20
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Quote:
Whjat did the wideband attenuator do to your upstream?
It raised the levels slightly. they are sitting at 34 and 32dBmV without it. I used to have just a forward path one but the last time I had issues with low upstream and high downstream, instead of correcting whatever it was at the cab he just fitted the wideband attenuator, took the forward path one and left.

I find my power levels to vary throughout the year, which although is normal, mine seem to swing more wildly. Nice and low in the summer and through the roof in winter but whatever they did in the cab during the downtime has doubled the downstream again. It's working fine at the moment though I had a bunch of T3's at 9:20 this morning.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:03   #21
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
It raised the levels slightly. they are sitting at 34 and 32dBmV without it. I used to have just a forward path one but the last time I had issues with low upstream and high downstream, instead of correcting whatever it was at the cab he just fitted the wideband attenuator, took the forward path one and left.

I find my power levels to vary throughout the year, which although is normal, mine seem to swing more wildly. Nice and low in the summer and through the roof in winter but whatever they did in the cab during the downtime has doubled the downstream again. It's working fine at the moment though I had a bunch of T3's at 9:20 this morning.
Well, that's just it. High upstream in a well performing circuit goes hand in hand with low upstream power. In other words you're either close to the cabinet, and/or on a low attenuation tap point. In that case the upstream doesn't need so much power to send data correctly to the VM end.

Som putting a wideband attenuator on raises the upstream power which is immediately attenuated by the attenuator. Thus it goes to the VM end the same or even lower power than before! I knew that VM's field service policy had changed - I've seen the explanatory Powerpoint - but that aspect of the policy is not considered.

Old 21-10-2015, 15:29   #22
olisun
cf.member

olisun is on a distinguished roadolisun is on a distinguished road

Last Friday there was an outage in my area and when I called the helpline I was greeted with a "scheduled maintentance" message.

I had a go at the support person because I was not informed in advance of the maintenance considering I WFH on Tuesday's and Friday's.

The support person shameless told me she could not do anything about it other than apologise.

Fortunately the internet came back after 30 mins.
olisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 17:20   #23
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisun View Post
Last Friday there was an outage in my area and when I called the helpline I was greeted with a "scheduled maintentance" message.

I had a go at the support person because I was not informed in advance of the maintenance considering I WFH on Tuesday's and Friday's.

The support person shameless told me she could not do anything about it other than apologise.

Fortunately the internet came back after 30 mins.
I've had the exact same thing happen to me twice. The first time I had been advised of the date of work by unofficial means so half-expected it. The second time it was a total surprise, fortunately I used my mobile as a hotspot for the hour it took for service to resume.

Not ideal, but in VM's defence it's a residential service and the vast majority of customers won't mind the 11am-3pm change window that I believe they work to.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 14:47   #24
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

How long do these CCU's take to do? Only reason I ask is that the cabinets along our road (or atleast the ones I can see) were having some work done to them on Wednesday. Seemed to be swapping out equipment? They spent about a couple of hours in each one.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 17:08   #25
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
How long do these CCU's take to do? Only reason I ask is that the cabinets along our road (or atleast the ones I can see) were having some work done to them on Wednesday. Seemed to be swapping out equipment? They spent about a couple of hours in each one.
yeah thats about right... all depends on how bad they are inside
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 15:19   #26
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I received this letter on the day they were doing maintainence

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 14:14   #27
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Well 5th November 2015 came and went with no service interruption or change in segment utilisation:

Oh well ..
Old 06-11-2015, 14:45   #28
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Presumably you'll ask on the VM forum for a status update (and link the thread back here please).

Old 06-11-2015, 16:23   #29
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am crossing my fingers
Me 2
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 17:43   #30
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Presumably you'll ask on the VM forum for a status update (and link the thread back here please).
Well I have asked http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/2960068