Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Favourites/passwords from iPad to PC Safari?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Favourites/passwords from iPad to PC Safari?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:08   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Favourites/passwords from iPad to PC Safari?

On my iPad I prefer to use Safari as my browser but on my PC I just use Chrome or Firefox.

What I'd like to do is have all my bookmarks and passwords from my iPad Safari transferred to the computer version if I download it.

I know I could do it by importing the data from Chrome and/or Firefox in to the PC Safari but is there a way it can be done automatically, a bit like how you can do it with Chrome over multiple devices? I know that's done differently as you just sign in with your Google account and the data gets synced, I was just wondering if there's an equally automated process, maybe through iTunes or something?

TIA
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2015, 15:49   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: Favourites/passwords from iPad to PC Safari?

Couldn't you use lastpass to transfer your usernames/passwords over?

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 17:01   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Favourites/passwords from iPad to PC Safari?

Apple's iCloud Keychain can sync passwords between Safari on different platforms... but only iOS and OS X, not Windows.

Also, IIRC, the Windows version of Safari is not very good and is no longer updated.

You could - as you already mention - use Chrome on all devices, and so use Chrome Sync to transfer passwords and bookmarks from Chrome for Windows to Chrome for iOS.

But not Safari...

One way to transfer passwords (not bookmarks) would be 1Password.

It's an excellent programme for password management, and is available for OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android. I have been using it for years.

Like LastPass, it can sync using "the cloud".

But, unlike LastPass (AFAIK), it can also perform a local sync over your own WiFi network, ensuring that your password vault never touches the Internet.

While both services/apps encrypt your data, I'd still rather not have mine go anywhere outside of my control - especially given that LastPass has been breached before. Same reason I don't use 1Password's iCloud or DropBox sync options.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote