Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP is blocking attempts to change to new provider

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ISP is blocking attempts to change to new provider

Old 29-09-2015, 14:33   #1
Bamboozled
Inactive

Bamboozled is an unknown quantity at this point
ISP is blocking attempts to change to new provider

I've got a tricky problem and I'm pretty baffled.

I've beeen trying to switch from Vispa ADSL to BT Fibre. I signed up to BT over the phone when they rang at the end of August.

• The first switch was due to take place on 11Sep but was cancelled by Vispa.
  • BT reordered it and the second attempt was due for 14Sep but it was also cancelled by Vispa.
  • I rang Vispa's customer services number and was told they needed a letter giving 30 days notice before the switchover date. I explained that after ordering a migration with BT it takes them a lot less than 30 days before they attempt the switchover. Vispa's rep said that once they received the letter they would allow the migration to go through.
  • BT's third attempt was due on 25Sep but Vispa cancelled again two days before. Royal Mail says they received the letter a week earlier.

I'd looked up the Ofcom guide for broadband switching and it makes no mention of needing to give 30 days notice.
Quote:
You only need to contact the provider you wish to switch to, who will notify your old provider of the intended transfer - you do not need to cancel your contract with your old provider.
The Vispa Knowledgebase article: How do I cancel my account with Vispa?
Quote:
Remember, we do not charge you to close your account, if you have used a MAC to migrate your service to another supplier, and any contract period has expired

If you have requested, and used a MAC to migrate (transfer) your service to another supplier, then you simply need to give us 30 days’ notice in writing to close the account, after placing an order with your chosen supplier, using the provided MAC. We'll then close your account 30 days from the date we receive your request, and issue a final invoice, taking payment via the payment method we hold on file.

If there is no open migration order when we receive your request to close your account, we will place a cease order against your service (chargeable), so please make sure an order has been placed with your new supplier, and you have been provided a migration date, before requesting account closure.
When you click the link from the Vispa Knowledgebase menu it returns a 404 because there's a rogue '?' in the URL. Your average customer couldnt reasonably be expected to be able to access that page.

I cant see that I've done anything incorrectly or why I should need to have provided a letter giving Vispa 30 days notice. I have a rolling contract. The information on Vispa's site is clearly out of date, makes no mention of the GPL process and instead refers to the system it replaced where you had to use an MAC. Are Vispa operating outside the new rules brought in by Ofcom in June or have I missed something?

I sent a complaint email to Vispa (worded very similarly to this post) on 25Sep and havent heard back yet. BT are making a fourth transfer attempt on 9Oct.

BT phone support is terrible and they don't give out support by email, although a mod on the BT forum gave me a link to webchat with a small UK based team. They were helpful and seemed to be the first person to understand the problem, but there's a limit to what they can do if Vispa keep cancelling the transfers a few days before they're due.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my next move?
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2015, 16:56   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: ISP is blocking attempts to change to new provider

Is this business or home services? And is there a landline to be taken over by BT?

The MAC would be your broadband kits registration code. Has Openreach installed kit to obtain fibre in the premises already previous to this venture or is it a direct connection from phone socket to your Vispa broadband kit?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 16:59   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
The MAC would be your broadband kits registration code.
A MAC is no longer required to migrate any broadband connection http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/mac_codes/

Quote:
UPDATE: Under rules introduced in June 2015 consumers who switch broadband provider no longer require a MAC code. Instead, Ofcom's revamped code of practice transfers responsibility for managing a switch to the provider to whom the customer is switching.
Old 29-09-2015, 17:06   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

BT would require new kit be installed anyway. The only things transferable would be the landline number and any fibre Openreach kit already installed in the premises.
Old 29-09-2015, 17:56   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Agreed, but that's the issue - Vispa are cancelling the order so Openreach won't be down to either install or reconfigure any kit.

Something definately isn't correct in what is happening. I can't see why Vispa are refusing the transfer. Even if they have a 30 day notice period that shouldn't cause your order not to be accepted.

For instance when VM have a transfer out order on a landline it's accepted and processed and used a cancellation request. 30 days are still charged even if the line itself is transferred before that.
Old 29-09-2015, 18:00   #6
thenry
Inactive

According to this theres a charge to cancel

http://helpdesk.vispa.net/index.php?...Article/View/1
Old 29-09-2015, 18:01   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

That has already been covered - the page is wrong by still mentioning MAC led transfers. They no longer exist.

They should not be refusing a provider led transfer because that is the correct process as required by OFCOM.

Whether there is cancellation fee or not is irrelevant to the transfer process
Old 29-09-2015, 18:12   #8
thenry
Inactive

May be they need far too much time to process a cancellation to the terms set.

Note sarcasm.

If everything has been recorded etc. customer end then chase them and throw it to them to sort out the mess or get onto ofcom etc.
Old 29-09-2015, 20:41   #9
Bamboozled
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: ISP is blocking attempts to change to new provider

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Is this business or home services? And is there a landline to be taken over by BT?
Home services and the landline was already with BT.

Quote:
BT would require new kit be installed anyway. The only things transferable would be the landline number and any fibre Openreach kit already installed in the premises.
A BT engineer is coming round tomorrow to install something and I've already received my BT Home Hub through the post.

Anyway, problem apparently solved. Vispa contacted me this evening to tell me they've fixed the problem. It was a technical issue that was making it appear that Vispa was simply rejecting the orders but they were failing for another reason.

Thanks again.
Old 29-09-2015, 20:48   #10
thenry
Inactive

Did you dig deeper asking what the reason was? Did you quote Ofcoms ruling?

The engineer is most probably installing your broadband tomorrow, the fibre modem.
Old 29-09-2015, 21:57   #11
Bamboozled
Inactive

The email came from a manager and he did explain but I'm not sure how much I should reveal. Basically they had their reseller ID ammended but one of their suppliers didn't update their ordering systems accordingly despite being notified by Vispa. For a few weeks orders were being automatically rejected by their suppliers system. It's fixed now.

He said I was right (which is a relief!) about the GPL being the replacement to MAC. He also apologised and said he'll be getting on to their customer contact team to update the info they're giving out. They're also crediting my final bill and any cancellation charges. I'm quite impressed with their response. To be fair, I've had a few technical problems over the years that Vispa were very good in helping via email.

Quote:
Did you quote Ofcoms ruling?
I quoted the GPL part and linked to the full article in the email I sent on Friday. It makes a huge difference being able to email your ISP and I'm not looking forward to having to use the Indian BT call centre as my primary contact with them. There's no way you can explain something like this in a phone call.
Old 29-09-2015, 22:22   #12
thenry
Inactive

Good to hear

Use the BT community forum. Social media, twitter, facebook etc. is another option.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:15   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Hmm, I should listen to my own advice - never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

First I was thinking they're being evil, law-breaking *******s by deliberately making it hard to leave but the technical issue does explain it, though not the incompetent CS responses earlier.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 14:21   #14
thenry
Inactive

I would have torn them a new one.