Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UFO BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UFO BB

Old 24-08-2015, 19:24   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
UFO BB

Seen this floating around Facebook as an advertisement. so I decided to take a look and they reckon they have 1000mb BB coming in the near future.

Any heads up on this site actually being legit?
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2015, 23:22   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UFO BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Seen this floating around Facebook as an advertisement. so I decided to take a look and they reckon they have 1000mb BB coming in the near future.

Any heads up on this site actually being legit?
It's entirely legit and already available to a small part of York.

https://interest.sky.com/ufo/
https://ultrafibreoptic.talktalk.co.uk/
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 13:30   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Guaranteed speeds? Unbundled provider? Can I move to York now?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 15:31   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Guaranteed speeds? Unbundled provider? Can I move to York now?
Yes. They're using the CityFibre network.

Sky / TalkTalk are paying to get from the CityFibre ring to the individual premises.

You may be interested to know that Aberdeen has a CityFibre ring.
Old 25-08-2015, 17:58   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You may be interested to know that Aberdeen has a CityFibre ring.
Yes, I believe you mentioned in the past. Only available to businesses at the moment though, no plans for a residential service AFAIK. Edinburgh might be a better bet, I'm sure I've had a few business addresses down there I could ahem... "register"...
Old 25-08-2015, 21:10   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

With in 10 years dare I say 1TB will be just around the block.
Old 25-08-2015, 23:25   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Yes, I believe you mentioned in the past. Only available to businesses at the moment though, no plans for a residential service AFAIK. Edinburgh might be a better bet, I'm sure I've had a few business addresses down there I could ahem... "register"...
TalkTalk have said they want to roll out in other CityFibre cities if York goes well.

That Aberdeen is a CityFibre city puts it along with the other 3 that aren't York in a very short list.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
With in 10 years dare I say 1TB will be just around the block.
You can certainly dare say but absolutely no chance of that being a home connection by 2025.

May see some people selling 10Gb as part of a urinating contest but definitely not 1Tb. There's no prospect of seeing core network links running at 1Tb any time soon, it's not under real development yet.

Core network links are still at 100Gb/s, with 400Gb/s a work in progress. It would take core network links at 10Tb/s+ to make 1Tb access connections feasible.

To say how difficult that would be we are still at 100Gb and 10Gb Ethernet has only been around since 2002, with 10Gb/s transmission links, so just the 'raw' capacity of the optic link, around for a little while before that.

To say how far 10Gb to the home is away the cheapest 10Gb switch I can find that doesn't need expensive pluggables is over £600. The cheapest router that can do 10Gb line rate... somewhat more
Old 26-08-2015, 12:12   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
TalkTalk have said they want to roll out in other CityFibre cities if York goes well.

That Aberdeen is a CityFibre city puts it along with the other 3 that aren't York in a very short list.
Good point.

Quote:
May see some people selling 10Gb as part of a urinating contest but definitely not 1Tb. There's no prospect of seeing core network links running at 1Tb any time soon, it's not under real development yet.
http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/work...-record-136689

Yes, yes, I know. Multiple carriers, WDM, etc. is "cheating".

Quote:
To say how far 10Gb to the home is away the cheapest 10Gb switch I can find that doesn't need expensive pluggables is over £600. The cheapest router that can do 10Gb line rate... somewhat more
While that is true today, historically ethernet technologies have massively dropped in price as soon as they hit consumer-market scale production.

If Thunderbolt 3 takes off (40Gbit carrier, with mandatory 10GbE emulation layer) most home computers will have 10GbE capability built-in by 2020. The cost of the Alpine Ridge chips for that are estimated around $20 so that'll bring the cost right down.

Oh, and we have literally boxes of "expensive pluggables" here that were bought in error, just rotting away Seems nobody bothered to check when ordering 24-port 10GbE switches whether they already had transceivers built in.
Old 26-08-2015, 16:47   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq;35795246[url
http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/workspace/alcatel-lucent-bt-set-1-4tbs-fibre-bandwidth-record-136689[/url]

Yes, yes, I know. Multiple carriers, WDM, etc. is "cheating".
Aware of transmission technology going well beyond 100Gb at layer 1 over a single fibre, but the individual layer 2 links going across that will max out at 100Gb. 1Tb Ethernet isn't on the radar for right now.

Even way back when I was messing with ISP networks fibres carrying 96 x 10Gb wasn't infeasible, problem was all the kit to connect them to once they'd been dropped out of the mux.

Multiple carriers isn't cheating, it's absolutely necessary for 100Gb with the exception of 100GBASE-ZR