Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Odd router setting blocking site access?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Odd router setting blocking site access?

Old 03-08-2015, 19:16   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Odd router setting blocking site access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium89 View Post
Trys that. No change there I'm afraid. Think I tried that and changing the DNS when I was first looking some while back.
Okay that's interesting. I know what Igni is getting at and was going to be my next suggestion.

Here's the thing - there's a chance that your router got unlucky and happened to get a DHCP lease with a bad configuration. Just pure bad luck that could have happened to anyone.

However.

The fact that other devices are getting good leases and when you clone the mac of your PC, you're still getting a bad subnet, suggests that the router is at fault. There's no reason the DHCP server at Virgin would be handing out a good config and a bad config to the same MAC.

Unless you can override that, I think your router needs to be replaced.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2015, 19:34   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ya, especially as it is working on the shub out of all things (twilight zone)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 20:12   #18
Allium89
Inactive

Allium89 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I've cracked it. I think!

Firstly the router page I said was called "Static Routing Table" is just actually called "Routing Tables" and appears to populate from the DHCP as in previous posts.

There is however another page below called "Static Route" which allows you to input your own routes. But how do you know what?

Well a bit of logic and trial and error, I tried this,

81.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 81.110.180.1

Now the routing table says,

Destination IP Subnet Mask Gateway Metric Interface
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 0 br0
81.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 81.110.180.1 0 eth2.2
81.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 eth2.2
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 81.110.180.1 1 eth2.2

Low and behold I can now access the site! I think I have now forced any 81.xx addresses to be routed to the Virgin gateway. Remove the static route and it fails again.

So, is this the right way to do it? What else may it break? Presumably it will only last as long as this lease holds and then a new gateway is set? And still, where does the original 81.xx route come from and why? Is this just a grade A kludge?

Your last post Kushan, got me thinking again to have another look.

Many thanks for all your inputs, happy to have any more clues as to why.

Every day is a school day, they say. This networking malarkey is easy isn't it? /runs and hides/
Allium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 21:10   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

it isn't going to break anything because all it is doing is telling everything to go to the cmts which is what it should be doing anyways
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 13:11   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You could do worse than cloning the MAC from the network card of the PC you used
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium89 View Post
Trys that. No change there I'm afraid. Think I tried that and changing the DNS when I was first looking some while back.
It'd be better to do it the other way round. Copy the WAN MAC of your router to your PC's network card.

You should then get the same IP as the router got, and the subnet mask you receive in that situation will confirm if the router or VM's network is the issue. Though I guess it's fairly obvious already.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it isn't going to break anything because all it is doing is telling everything to go to the cmts which is what it should be doing anyways
Well technically it's still a broken routing table. And a device that ignores the subnet mask in a DHCP lease is... broken.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:56   #21
Allium89
Inactive

Allium89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It'd be better to do it the other way round. Copy the WAN MAC of your router to your PC's network card.

You should then get the same IP as the router got, and the subnet mask you receive in that situation will confirm if the router or VM's network is the issue. Though I guess it's fairly obvious already.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Well technically it's still a broken routing table. And a device that ignores the subnet mask in a DHCP lease is... broken.
Well that took a bit of fiddling to find, but I think I managed it, at least ipconfig reported the MAC address changing. However the end result seemed to be that it still need the extra static route to make it work.
Allium89 is offline   Reply With Quote