Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crazy Ex Council House market prices!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Crazy Ex Council House market prices!

Old 30-07-2015, 15:50   #16
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Crazy Ex Council House market prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
As far is who's getting richer out of it? For the most part that'll be the largely baby boomer generation who purchased a while back before London prices went nuts, and some investors.
IIRC, last year, they had an article in the Standard about a woman who had bought a flat in the seedier part of Soho for (IIRC) less than £80,000 and recently sold the same two bed flat for £2.5m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Middlesex = Mid Saxon
Sussex = South Saxon
Wessex = West Saxon
Essex = East Saxon

For some reason there is no "North Saxon"
Well, following the naming pattern above, the name for it would be Nosex, maybe they thought that name would put the population off?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2015, 17:29   #17
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
IIRC, last year, they had an article in the Standard about a woman who had bought a flat in the seedier part of Soho for (IIRC) less than £80,000 and recently sold the same two bed flat for £2.5m.
Even places like Richmond upon Thames were running at a household earnings to house prices multiplier of around 4.5 historically, relative to the 3.5 nationwide.

Thanks to a combination of Tory liberalisation of the mortgage market, Labour riding the credit boom, and both being completely ignorant of that the Town and County Planning Act is in no way fit for purpose in the 21st century those multipliers are more like 10 times for Richmond upon Thames and 5 times for the rest of the country.

The scarier part is that Richmond upon Thames has as I remember the second highest median household income in the whole of London.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:43   #18
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

this is why I have always said council houses should stay as council houses for rent, people now profit from buildings built for helping the poor.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 20:40   #19
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
There is NO LINK to this thread. Just comments required

I live on a council estate in Middlesex, and quite recently a very nice person died.

Estate Agents have valued this former council house at - £400.000 Just a three bed house which used to belong to the council

I cannot believe that a house can be sold at this price - absolutely disgusting, just makes me wonder why Estate Agents are rich
Do you own your home or do you rent? If the former you have a good guide price to the value of your house so quit whining, if the latter then your jealous that you never brought your council home. Rights is rights.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 20:54   #20
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
this is why I have always said council houses should stay as council houses for rent, people now profit from buildings built for helping the poor.
Ex Council houses that I know are now modernised, warm and comfy after loads of money has been spent on them by the people who bought them initially or later. And most who live in them have pride in their homes and gardens. No feral offspring (that I know of) either. House prices have risen for them.

Stand that against the rows and rows of council houses that are being demolished or sold for £1 (especially in the North) because Councils have spent the absolute minimum (if that) on them. And no-one wants to buy them as they are in "rough neighbourhoods" where often the ferals rule.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:05   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

and the question has to be asked why are they demolishing houses with a massive waiting list?

Councils do tend to spend more than private landlords, many private rental properties are really bad.

e.g. my sister in her council house the council expanded her kitchen, double glazed the whole building and fitted a new boiler.

My landlord would never do any of that.
Old 30-07-2015, 21:21   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
and the question has to be asked why are they demolishing houses with a massive waiting list?

Councils do tend to spend more than private landlords, many private rental properties are really bad.

e.g. my sister in her council house the council expanded her kitchen, double glazed the whole building and fitted a new boiler.

My landlord would never do any of that.
The answer to the question "why are they demolishing them?" is simple - many of the houses being demolished aren't fit for habitation. Many of them are Victorian terraces, in structurally poor condition; many more of them are post-war crud in even poorer condition.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:54   #23
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

My property is ex council, the person had it as a council property from the 50's when built, bought it late 80's and till he died a few year ago. I bought it 2 year ago for 90k ish, a 3 bed semi and it was valued at £145k at the time. Others on the street have sold at around the same mark but I have a bit of land with mine too plus its a total opposite to what it was when I bought it.

Reason I bought mine, well built not like the rest of them and in an area where I wanted.
Old 30-07-2015, 22:06   #24
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Alferret., I am not whining. I live in a council property. Most of council accomadation is not worth buying, unless you want to spend a lot of money on it.

I have lived in my council house for 28 years, and there is so many problems with it. You would have to knock it down and rebuild it.

Problem is council employ cowboy builders, all they want to do is finish at 3.30 each day. And are not bothered how they repair anything. As no one checks there work.

Good example is that we had a contractor round 17 years ago, drilling up the kitchen floor, placed plastic bags down and then took out the main foundation for the stairs - and 17 years later, the plank of wood that they used to hold the staircase is still there, today.

Some council houses are just too expensive to repair, through years of disrepair.

To be honest, l think the cost of buying a house is far to expensive
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 02:47   #25
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The answer to the question "why are they demolishing them?" is simple - many of the houses being demolished aren't fit for habitation. Many of them are Victorian terraces, in structurally poor condition; many more of them are post-war crud in even poorer condition.
any house can be fixed.

There is people who have a business of buying run down houses and doing them up, its profitable, I expect its cheaper for council's to fix houses than to keep paying extortionate rents to private landlords for housing benefit claimants. Or to pay for people to stay in b&b's and hotels.
Old 31-07-2015, 10:07   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

On the contrary - there are people who are in the business of buying crumbling houses, "doing them up" and then renting them out, only for the tenants to find the underlying problems have merely been plastered over. Cue lots of documentaries on channel 4 and posts on this forum from people moaning about private sector landlords.

Doubtless some properties could be renovated, but when you have half a dozen streets of terraced houses, some of which may be repairable but others of which would require major structural intervention, it can easily be cheaper to simply bring in the wrecking ball.

Add to that, do we really want to be putting people in thin-walled, high-density housing with inadequate car parking in the 21st century, even if it can be brought back into use?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:04   #27
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Yeah tenants may not be happy, but there is always new tenants to replace them, people like me end up putting up with it. Since constantly moving is too expensive.