Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Box Reliability

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo Box Reliability

Old 06-05-2015, 17:27   #1
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo Box Reliability

Ive just had my second tivo box replacement in less than 2 years thus loosing all my recordings yet again.

The tech bought a replacement box in from his van connected it up to be met with a green screen saying that the HDD had failed. He said he only had one more in his van. Luckily this one worked.

This chap proceded to tell me that the tivos are rubbish and they are allways replacing faulty boxes.

Its miffed me enough that as soon as my contact is up im going to get a mixture of Youview / Netflix and Now tv. Wont loose all my shows again that way and will be a damm sight cheaper.

What are your thoughts / experiences with tivo reliability?
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2015, 17:28   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Tivo Box Reliability

Had mine since just after they came out - not had any problems that an occasional re-boot didn't solve.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 18:13   #3
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I have one of the first Tivos and never had a problem. I had a second one up until 14 months ago, and that never had any problems either.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 18:16   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
Ive just had my second tivo box replacement in less than 2 years thus loosing all my recordings yet again.
Have you used http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap to recover your Series Links etc?

Out of interest, what was the problem with the box?

Quote:
This chap proceded to tell me they are allways replacing faulty boxes.
Of course he is. That's his job!

Quote:
What are your thoughts / experiences with tivo reliability?
It's good but could always be better.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 19:15   #5
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

I would not be to complacent about I am just on my first TiVo box, in my case my TiVo box died after 3 years and I lost my recordings that I was saving to watch on it

As Spiderplant has said you can recover your series links and as there is a good chance you can catch them on various catch ups, the problem I had was not knowing what episode I was on for what series!

The tell tale things that should have told me my hard drive was slowly dying was, recordings skipping whole sections on playback and TiVo recovering all my deleted recording from trash
Old 07-05-2015, 17:30   #6
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Have you used http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap to recover your Series Links etc?

Out of interest, what was the problem with the box?

Of course he is. That's his job!

It's good but could always be better.

I had a green screen that said something like a serious problem had been detected and that it was trying to fix it and also said to allow 3hrs. I left the box for about 5hrs and still the message remained.

Thanks for the link to recover series links but it gives me an error saying that i dont a tivo connected to network at this time? Do i need to plug an ethernet cable into tivo?

I also navigated to the area on my VM acccount where you can copy info between tivo boxes and it only shows my current box, not the faulty one?
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 18:26   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for the link to recover series links but it gives me an error saying that i dont a tivo connected to network at this time? Do i need to plug an ethernet cable into tivo?
No ethernet is required.

Quote:
I also navigated to the area on my VM acccount where you can copy info between tivo boxes and it only shows my current box, not the faulty one?
I think that's the same thing though some people have trouble finding it by that route.

Try again tomorrow. The old box links should be available for two weeks.
Old 23-05-2015, 17:12   #8
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

We just had a replacement TIVO box installed today as ours kept freezing all the time and was also making strange noises.

I asked the engineer when he was here if it was possible to recover my series links and he said no! Right now I'm struggling to do anything with it as I can't even get the 14 day programme guide up as it's only showing up to Monday and when I try to set recordings through the app on my laptop it says I don't have a subscription

Lyn
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:46   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

The guide will sort itself out in a few hours, but to hurry it along, go to Help & Settings -> Settings -> Network, and do "Connect to Virgin Media Service now". I suspect the app problem is much the same.
Old 23-05-2015, 19:12   #10
sminkypinky
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo arrived 18th April.
sminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enough

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable

You can copy series links, I had to do it myself not so long ago, the above link gives instructions on how to do it. I did find that the only series links that transferred over were those that a has programme due to be recorded though.
sminkypinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 21:54   #11
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Had one replacement, because the picture kept freezing and they said the signal levels were fine and the engineer came out looked at it, said faulty hardware and replaced it. Starting to do so again, so must try watching what is recorded. Luckily, not much at the moment.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote