Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting Surround Sound To TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting Surround Sound To TV

Old 17-04-2015, 09:45   #1
pg72
Inactive

pg72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting Surround Sound To TV

Hi I have recently bought a Samsumg smart TV and have been trying to connect my samsung surround sound system to it with no luck. I can get sound out of the speakers if Iplay something on the surround sound system but can't get sound from the TV. I have connected the optical cable and turned off the speakers on the tv. Any advice greatfully received.
pg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2015, 10:21   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Connecting Surround Sound To TV

The optical output on my Sony Bravia has several different modes of operation/encoding see if you have a setting on the TV for this and check what your sound system expects.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:21   #3
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg72 View Post
Hi I have recently bought a Samsumg smart TV and have been trying to connect my samsung surround sound system to it with no luck. I can get sound out of the speakers if Iplay something on the surround sound system but can't get sound from the TV. I have connected the optical cable and turned off the speakers on the tv. Any advice greatfully received.

Do you have a TiVo or V+ box.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 13:08   #4
pg72
Inactive

pg72 is an unknown quantity at this point

V+ box
pg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 13:23   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The optical cable goes from the the V+ to the surround sound?
Old 17-04-2015, 13:29   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Do you have a TiVo or V+ box.
Not really relevant as the OP needs to have the sound from the smart TV itself to keep sound for all the other things a smart TV does like media playing, Youtube, Freeview etc. that don't come through VM.

You need this type of setting page from your manual/on-screen manual:

And select the appropriate type for your sound system If unknown just try each setting in turn. Make sure the sound system is set for optical input.

sound_settings.JPG
Old 17-04-2015, 14:18   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Samsung smart TV's I believe only output on the optical when there is a 5.1 source
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 15:36   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Samsung smart TV's I believe only output on the optical when there is a 5.1 source
Mine outputs on the optical when there is any kind of sound output.

pg72, you do have to turn on the External speakers option in the TV menu, and also ensure that the SP/DIF option is set correctly. For instructions on this, please see http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...VBEU5A-ENG.pdf

Note: That is for a 40 inch 2011 Samsung TV (actually the model I have), but the menu structure for your TV should be similar.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 17:13   #9
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg72 View Post
Are the settings on the surround system correct? I recently bought a Samsung sound bar for me Samsung TV and had to play about with the settings on the sound bar for a few mins to get it to work. The TV did not need any settings changing.
Obv, I have no idea of your settings but my sound is coming through the "D.IN" channel on the sound bar if that helps?!?
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote