Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No signal on TV when trying to watch American sniper DVD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No signal on TV when trying to watch American sniper DVD

Old 26-03-2015, 23:17   #1
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough
No signal on TV when trying to watch American sniper DVD

I brought back 6 DVDs from Thailand recently and when trying to watch the American Sniper one, it comes up with No Signal on the TV screen, the others work fine.
However it does play on my Laptop and also my Desktop PC, so I thought that I would try and play it from my Laptop rather than DVD player..

So I bought a HDMI to HDMI lead off Ebay but in spite of going through all the inputs plus switching the TV off before trying to play the DVD I still have no signal.
I know that my DVD player is OK as tonight I watched Taken 3? Also as I said the Sniper plays on my Laptop and desktop but not DVD player

Do I need to buy another type of lead? Please go easy as I am not a PC/Techno wizard.
TIA
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2015, 23:29   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: No signal on TV when trying to watch American sniper DVD

Is the DVD limited to playing stuff only from certain world regions, and the Thailand region is not permitted? Our DVD region is usually 2. Asia is 3. Sometimes discs may be multi region, but some are not. Your computers may not be region restricted.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:31   #3
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
I brought back 6 DVDs from Thailand recently and when trying to watch the American Sniper one, it comes up with No Signal on the TV screen, the others work fine.
However it does play on my Laptop and also my Desktop PC, so I thought that I would try and play it from my Laptop rather than DVD player..

So I bought a HDMI to HDMI lead off Ebay but in spite of going through all the inputs plus switching the TV off before trying to play the DVD I still have no signal.
I know that my DVD player is OK as tonight I watched Taken 3? Also as I said the Sniper plays on my Laptop and desktop but not DVD player

Do I need to buy another type of lead? Please go easy as I am not a PC/Techno wizard.
TIA

Yep no good unless you purchase an all region DVD player.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:58   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

There's usually a secret code that you can enter on the handset to get into the engineering pages of the DVD player and from there make it regionless. I had my DVD HDD recorder done as an option before it was delivered.

You'll need the exact model of player and remote to Google for the codes.
Old 27-03-2015, 09:04   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Yep no good unless you purchase an all region DVD player.
Yes and multi region DVD players in my opinion are excellent and they ain't that dear either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Mu...ion+dvd+player

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DVP-SR1...ion+dvd+player
Old 27-03-2015, 09:50   #6
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help guys, can I not play the DVD on my laptop but connect it to my TV with a cable?
It does not want to work with the HDMI to HDMI cable but I thought that I saw something on Youtube about a HDMI to DVI cable???
I understand that computers are not regional but DVD players are.
Other than that the wife and I will have to put my laptop on the coffee table and watch the DVD from the settee. TIA
Old 27-03-2015, 09:57   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The content protection features of HDMI might be interfering somehow.

Post the model number of your DVD player here please. It may be possible to look up and find how to get into its engineer menu and change it to multi-region mode.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 13:52   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, can I not play the DVD on my laptop but connect it to my TV with a cable?
Does your laptop have a HDMI port? If so, then yes.

Quote:
It does not want to work with the HDMI to HDMI cable but I thought that I saw something on Youtube about a HDMI to DVI cable???
Does your laptop have a DVI port?

Quote:
I understand that computers are not regional but DVD players are.
Both computers and DVD players can be either regional or region free.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:40   #9
gus0898uk
cf.addict

Chris the model number is Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 it is a DVD/Video casette recorder.

qasdfdsaq I have HDMI port but for some reason the DVD playing on my laptop doesn't play on the TV, it shows No Signal in spite of going through all the inputs. My HDMI lead is brand new, 1.5 metres in length.
I have checked my laptop and it does not have a DVI port so we can scrap that one.
Old 28-03-2015, 20:49   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Could the HDMI port be disabled?
Old 29-03-2015, 08:40   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Chris the model number is Toshiba DVR19DTKB2 it is a DVD/Video casette recorder.

qasdfdsaq I have HDMI port but for some reason the DVD playing on my laptop doesn't play on the TV, it shows No Signal in spite of going through all the inputs. My HDMI lead is brand new, 1.5 metres in length.
I have checked my laptop and it does not have a DVI port so we can scrap that one.
Well you could try the instructions on this page and see if you can set it to region-free:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7214929_ma...er-region.html
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 14:44   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Is it only when the DVD is playing? Can you see the Windows desktop?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote