Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Did any one have a complete outage in the Winnersh

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Did any one have a complete outage in the Winnersh

Old 25-03-2015, 07:57   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Did any one have a complete outage in the Winnersh

Did any one have a complete outage in the Winnersh RG41 5NY area on Tuesday morning, land line dead, no BB, no TIVI TV?

I checked several people that were in and on Virgin who were street who were on Virgin and they had the same problem.

One person had phoned faults on their mobile which costs a lot as they were not on Virgin Mobile and spoke for some while to the over seas support who was adamant it was their SH modem and he arranged for an engineer to visit some time this week.

Later that morning my land line started working so I phone support and also got the over seas and he was also adamant it was my modem even thou I had told him the several in my street had the same problem!

How was changing my SH modem going to solve the TIVO TV outage?

One thing that annoyed me apart from him telling me it was my modem and wanted to send a engineer to replace it later in the week was during my call he repeated "Thank you Mr -----" I counted him saying that over 10 times.

Any way later that afternoon the network stared working both BB and TV were restored so as I thought it was a network problem.

Has any one else had similar problems with the over seas support?

Ken
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2015, 08:01   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Did any one have a complete outage in the Winnersh

If there is no outage on the system then the script they follow says book a technician
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:12   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If there is no outage on the system then the script they follow says book a technician
I have always been sure that they work to a script and you have confirm that.

The engineer would have had a wasted journey.

Why don't they listen to the caller?
Old 25-03-2015, 08:55   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The technican would be auto cancelled when the outage got recognised. I guess even if they did listen I'm not sure what they could do about it.
Old 25-03-2015, 17:36   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
this is the argument I have always had with them before. How does an outage/area fault get identified if every person when you ring up is adamant there is isn't a problem and just want to book a tech? (or worse, comes up with some ****** "you've got a virus excuse")
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 19:41   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

I guess if 100 macs go offline it would be noticable
Old 26-03-2015, 09:20   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
this is the argument I have always had with them before. How does an outage/area fault get identified if every person when you ring up is adamant there is isn't a problem and just want to book a tech? (or worse, comes up with some ****** "you've got a virus excuse")
Presumably "the system" picks up numerous tech-visits booked in the same street/sector/cab/whatever and flags this somehow..
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:18   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Presumably "the system" picks up numerous tech-visits booked in the same street/sector/cab/whatever and flags this somehow..
Bingo!

There are multiple systems in place to detect outages, but they each do a better job in specific instances.
Modems go on and offline all the time, so a single modem going off means nothing. If 100 drop off, well that's different.

However it's not always so cut and dry. Sometimes modems connect but get no throughput, so reconnect. The system doesn't see 100 modems going off, it sees a few coming and going and doesn't raise it (or it does raise it but someone determines it's not outage worthy just yet).

So you call up, little agent sees there's no outage - but guess what, he doesn't have the authority to raise an outage. He's not trained enough for this because it's not always clear how outagey and outage really is, or how large an area is affected. Instead, he books a tech, because that's what he's trained to do. If he's on the ball, he'll tell you "I'm going to book you an engineer for Monday, but chances are it'll get picked up and fixed before then and you'll be notified by sms", but don't count on that. His process says to book a tech.

Now another system comes into play. Internally, Virgin has a bunch of area codes. This isn't the same code as on your bill, your area code might be something like CCC0 JDA1. A bit like a post code, but post codes aren't necessarily a good indication of an area, as one postcode might be serviced by several nodes, or conversely one node might service several postcodes. So seeing 10 techs booked for L15 means nothing,but seeing 3 techs booked for WA3 could mean something. In any case, postcodes mean nothing, they go by the node references. The automated system will have a rough idea of how many customers are on a certain node. CCC0 JDA1 might be just 10 customers, CCC0 JDA* might be 15 customers but the system roughly knows this. A bit like post codes, it's not always clear cut doing it by eye, in different parts of the network, F013 *** might only be 15 customers and LL12 4414 could be 300.

In any case, the system picks up the number of techs booked over nodes, compares it to the number of customers on those nodes and sends an alert when it hits a threshold (Last I recall, it was about 10%). This alert doesn't immediately raise an outage, it sends it to someone who's more qualified to double check and actually raise it (This was my job). This is why sometimes, even though it's "obviously" an outage, it takes time to raise - the node references don't always go down to a clean number, sometimes it takes 20 techs being booked before it'll get flagged, because either the node reference doesn't boil down to a small enough number, or because the outage is affecting a fairly wide area at a time when most people are at work (And thus haven't called in).

The automated system here isn't great, it can sometimes raise flags when there's no case for an outage (Remember, only 3 people serviced by a node and 1 tech is booked? Outage or not?) so there's an element of investigation required. It might be an outage in that it's not the customer's premises that's at fault, but unless people call in and book techs, there's no way of knowing for sure.

Once the investigation bit is done, they'll raise the outage and cancel all of the techs booked. The decent agents will leave techs that have been booked before the outage has started, as no doubt regular faults will have happened as well, but sometimes they get cancelled in the process. They'll send you an SMS or voicemail to confirm that it has been cancelled, but when I did this it was an entirely manual process of literally copying out numbers from accounts, pasting them into an SMS tool and hitting "Send". I hope it's automated these days.

Anyway, it usually takes techs being booked to alert the system. They monitor all sorts of things, like if there's a spike in calls or whatever, but the techs being booked is the biggest smoking gun. Once the outage is raised, Virgin will regularly sweep the pools to ensure agents haven't booked more techs and cancel them.

TL;DR - Even if you're sure it's an outage but the agent isn't sure, book the bloody tech. It's the fastest way to get it fixed. If people don't book techs, outages aren't always raised. If outages aren't raised, things don't get fixed.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 19:29   #9
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

they are doing cab cleanups in winnersh / wokingham / bracknell at the moment so you'll probably find they took it offline to clean it all up, or to add services as there is ALOT of building happening in that area...

orrr the builders hit a cable while putting the pointless new traffic lights in at the showcase roundabout lol
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 19:52   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
they are doing cab cleanups in winnersh / wokingham / bracknell at the moment so you'll probably find they took it offline to clean it all up, or to add services as there is ALOT of building happening in that area...

orrr the builders hit a cable while putting the pointless new traffic lights in at the showcase roundabout lol
Or replacing the telegraph poles in Danywern Drive.
Old 27-03-2015, 22:32   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Bingo!

There are multiple systems in place to detect outages, but they each do a better job in specific instances.
thanks, I always curios how it worked. I thought the whole process of India booking a tonne of tech visits, filling up their schedules and then cancelling them all was a colossal waste of time but I see how it all works now.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 15:22   #12
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Living just around the corner from you, Ken and thus the only other likely authoritative person to answer your question:

YES. And I didn't notice it for out of house reasons.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote