Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BS37 congestion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BS37 congestion

Old 05-02-2015, 18:28   #1
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
BS37 congestion

Impressively, 50Mb in my part of BS37 has gone from being rock-solid to <5Mbps (quite often <3Mbps) at peak times, in the space of a month.

My Broadband Ping is a sample from yesterday where there was something happening between midnight > 2am, apart from some increased latency, there's no real evidence of the slowdown.

VM-CS have advised there's a utilisation fault with a review date of March, but I'm staggered at how bad it's got in, literally, a month. A speed-test just now, has got 2.78Mb/s down, 3.03Mb/s up.

Quite ironic really, after 6 months+ of problems with the TiVo-10Mb being finally fixed a few weeks back.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2015, 18:52   #2
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: BS37 congestion

Well half-term week was nigh-on diabolical, some nights I was just struggling to 1.5Mbps. It does seem to be, let's say less worse - I can scrape 10Mbps until about 9pm now.

Interestingly though, some slight packet loss creeping in - VM works perhaps? Certainly not me rebooting the modem..

Old 26-03-2015, 09:42   #3
japitts
cf.geek

The March review date came and went, now it's been set for early April and the broadband has certainly been a tad better the past week or so but still nowhere near what it used to be like, and still drops to <2Mbps some nights.

At the back of my mind I'm just hoping that whatever the fix is here, it doesn't involve waiting on street construction works...
Old 26-03-2015, 17:45   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I wouldn't hold your breath dude, these sort of things take months to sort out because they do require hefty upgrades which need planning in advance and money.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 10:27   #5
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath dude, these sort of things take months to sort out because they do require hefty upgrades which need planning in advance and money.
Oh ye of little faith.... he says, tempting fate with famous last words
Old 30-03-2015, 02:00   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I seem to recall Sky having a similar issue around 2 years ago, which was raised to the networks team on a Thursday afternoon, and resolved the following Tuesday morning, in which an additional 10gb of capacity was added to the core network.
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:37   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

no way
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:42   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
I seem to recall Sky having a similar issue around 2 years ago, which was raised to the networks team on a Thursday afternoon, and resolved the following Tuesday morning, in which an additional 10gb of capacity was added to the core network.
I imagine that this kind of thing is largely determined by where the congestion actually is. It sounds like they've just added in a new switch or possibly just a new fibre card to an existing switch at a hub site somewhere.

It's not like they've installed a few miles of fibre-optics between hubs.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 17:22   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Was this in BS37?

As an aside, I had a "live chat" session with VM late last week on this fault, and by the sounds of it the fix here is linked to the speed uplifts planned for later in the year. I was told that the fix is still on schedule for early April, and that it's quite a substantial job.