Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2 Routers, 2 networks - what have I done?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2 Routers, 2 networks - what have I done?

Old 25-01-2015, 20:25   #1
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point
2 Routers, 2 networks - what have I done?

Long story short, I've been suffering with 1-1.5mbps ADSL for years now. So I decided to invest in a 4G dongle, and take up an offer for 25Gb LTE data for £20/mth on 30 day contract. In order to avoid eating up the data allowance, I wanted to keep devices that were using data all the time (IP camera, NAS drive etc) connected to the slow but unlimited ASDL, and have my computers, games console etc connected to the internet through a 4G LTE router. Best of both worlds you might say.

So this is my current setup, and it all works, sort of:

Computers attached to the 4G router can access the net through 4G, or by amending a setting in the router setup, can still connect through the Brightbox ASDL, if I want to conserve 4G data.

Due to the link between the routers, the computers on the 99.99.99... network can still access the IP Cam and the NAS, and the Brightbox admin page etc through IP addresses, but I can't get windows 7 to see the NAS and hence can't map a drive to it... I

Is this possible?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map.jpg (67.8 KB, 89 views)
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2015, 23:58   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: 2 Routers, 2 networks - what have I done?

How are you trying to access the NAS? Are you entering it's IP address? If so can you ping it?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:28   #3
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I can ping the NAS and I can get to the NAS admin page by putting 192.168.0.4 into explorer.

However I can't navigate to it as a network location in windows, or map a drive to the NAS.
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 14:08   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Check that windows firewall isn't throwing a hissy fit
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 16:59   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmcqui View Post
However I can't navigate to it as a network location in windows, or map a drive to the NAS.
What error message do you get when you try?

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Check that windows firewall isn't throwing a hissy fit
^^ This.

Windows Firewall blocks SMB traffic from outside your local subnet by default, even if you allow it on 'Public' networks. That said, it doesn't explain why outbound SMB isn't working, though it's quite possible the NAS has a similar restriction.
Old 26-01-2015, 17:30   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What NAS Drive is it?

Occasionally my WD 2TB NAS drive isn't accessible via the mapped drives I've created.

But, if I access the drive directly via Windows Explorer and the Network option in the left panel and MYBOOKLIVE, this then opens the NAS drives folders.

After this I can access the mapped drives.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

The other option I thought is user permissions, I had to set mine to accept my homes mobiles & tablets, this might be a thing to check.
Old 26-01-2015, 23:57   #7
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Ah, so the 3420 WAN is connected to the Brightbox, so you use "4G preferred" or "WAN preferred" to switch.

So the things on the brightbox are WAN side (outside) of the 3420 - this is going to present an interesting port forwarding issue.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 11:19   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

But isn't 99. a class A internet routable address?

99.99.99.1 resolves to adsl-xxxx.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net
Old 27-01-2015, 13:02   #9
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

Instead of 99.99.99.X, it would probably be better to use 192.168.1.X
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 17:57   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Using legal IP addresses? Blasphemy!