Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Now TV connection?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Now TV connection?

Old 16-12-2014, 08:12   #1
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Now TV connection?

I just recently had a weeks sports pass on NOW TV and watched it mostly Wirelessly on either my PS3 or Apple TV app to my main TV. The question I have was at the peak sporting time on Sunday it kept buffering every 5-10mins in the football and on the Apple TV I had intermittent sound loss as well through HDMI?

Everything seemed to settle down when I went from a wireless 5ghz connection to my home plug set up with SH2, just wondering where the problem lied? For the record both platforms where up to date in software terms, I would love to hear your views/ideas on this matter!
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2014, 19:32   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Now TV connection?

well it sounds like the issue is with the throughput on the wifi
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 20:47   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Did the PS3/Apple TV have 5Ghz wi-fi?

Pretty sure my Fat PS3 has 802.11G in it, not sure if the slim ones had a newer Wi-Fi chip.

Also can't remember if the Apple TV was 2.4Ghz only or not.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 22:17   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

PS3 is indeed 802.11g only.

Apple TV can have up to dual-band N depending on generation.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 21:18   #5
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
PS3 is indeed 802.11g only.

Apple TV can have up to dual-band N depending on generation.
For the record my Apple TV I presume is the first gen model as it only capable of 720p HD picture! I don't think I will get to the bottom of this issue, is it the wifi or streaming service from SKY in peak periods

Shame overall NOW TV is a great concept and I will buy a new sports pass sometime in the future but view through my home plugs and not WIFI
Old 19-12-2014, 21:25   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

If it's a black thing about the size of a deck of drinks coasters it's the 2nd Gen,

The first gen one looked more like a mac mini.
Old 20-12-2014, 10:46   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Or 3rd gen
Old 20-12-2014, 13:54   #8
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Or 3rd gen
If It's maximum resolution is 720P and the TV support 1080P then it won't be a 3rd Gen one
Old 20-12-2014, 15:26   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

If it's a black thing about the size of a deck of drinks coasters then it could be either 2nd gen or 3rd gen.
Old 20-12-2014, 18:33   #10
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
If it's a black thing about the size of a deck of drinks coasters then it could be either 2nd gen or 3rd gen.
Yes it could but the OP already stated that it would only o/p 720p which would make it far more likely to be the 2nd Gen.
Old 20-12-2014, 21:21   #11
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Yes it could but the OP already stated that it would only o/p 720p which would make it far more likely to be the 2nd Gen.
Correct it is a small black box, forgot that first gen box was in white. The problem with having a service by one company VM broadband, a streaming service NOW TV from SKY run on apps from 2 different platforms, you will probably get everybody blaming each other when things go wrong
Old 20-12-2014, 22:00   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
True, but I was being willfully ignorant of that part.