Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VPN

Old 22-04-2015, 23:38   #121
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road
Re: VPN

I've been using AirVPN for a few weeks. Reliability is very good, the only problem is that their DNS address (10.4.0.1) remains in the TCP/IPv4 adapter setting if I don't disconnect their client prior to shutting down my Windows 7 PC.

On speed: although I get close to my 6mbps upload, I find that I consistently lose about 70%-80% of my 100mbps download.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2015, 23:51   #122
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
I've been using AirVPN for a few weeks. Reliability is very good, the only problem is that their DNS address (10.4.0.1) remains in the TCP/IPv4 adapter setting if I don't disconnect their client prior to shutting down my Windows 7 PC.

On speed: although I get close to my 6mbps upload, I find that I consistently lose about 70%-80% of my 100mbps download.
You can change the way Eddie handles DNS in the advanced settings. Are you using v2.8? The new 2.9 experimental introduced a lot of improvements so maybe give it a whirl. To be fair though if you're shutting down the PC with Eddie still connected then it sounds like network lock is just doing its job. Better to keep the VPN settings when WAN drops (even if you did initiate it) than risk a leak.

As for the speed, I find I don't lose much at all even on 152 (I get closer to 160 in reality). Are you speed testing reliably? Try an Ubuntu torrent in a properly set up client for example. If you're going through a SH then as per my previous post you'll find they are abysmal at routing VPN traffic. Go modem mode with a proper router (preferably home built if you know how). You'll soon see proper throughput.

If not speak to Air, they're good at resolving stuff like this.
Old 23-04-2015, 00:05   #123
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

My SH is in modem mode and my router is the D-Link DIR-655.

I'll have a look at the 2.9 experimental.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 00:14   #124
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
My SH is in modem mode and my router is the D-Link DIR-655.

I'll have a look at the 2.9 experimental.
I'm presuming you must be using Windows as you've not said differently, but what version? Have you tried different servers and protocols? The default 443 UDP tends to be best, but anything over TCP or TOR will be slow.

Have you disabled your AV and any third party firewall and then re-tested to rule out issues? How are you actually speed testing? Best to make a post in Air's forum as we're a friendly bunch and between the staff and members you'll soon get sorted I'm sure.

EDIT: It would also be helpful to remove the D-LINK from the equation. Ideally I would connect the SH in modem mode directly to a modern PC running a Linux live USB (better networking). Then reboot the SH and once you've got a connection on the Linux machine connect to Air and run some decent tests. You may well find the D-Link is bottlenecking you.
Old 07-05-2015, 22:16   #125
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Been using PIA for about a week now but cant get speeds above 10mb on any server. Anyone else having speed issues with them?
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 22:31   #126
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
Been using PIA for about a week now but cant get speeds above 10mb on any server. Anyone else having speed issues with them?
No issues on PIA, AirVPN or others here. Make sure you're connected to your SH via ethernet and put it in modem mode, reboot it and then try again. How are you connecting to the VPN? If using PIA's software ensure it's whitelisted in your AV (I'm presuming you're running Windows because you didn't say differently). Connect over 8080/UDP and try to download an Ubuntu torrent (or an Ubuntu ISO from their site, or a Steam game). See what difference it makes.

Superhubs are crippled and restrict openvpn speeds. Modem only mode helps.
Old 16-05-2015, 17:36   #127
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
No issues on PIA, AirVPN or others here. Make sure you're connected to your SH via ethernet and put it in modem mode, reboot it and then try again. How are you connecting to the VPN? If using PIA's software ensure it's whitelisted in your AV (I'm presuming you're running Windows because you didn't say differently). Connect over 8080/UDP and try to download an Ubuntu torrent (or an Ubuntu ISO from their site, or a Steam game). See what difference it makes.

Superhubs are crippled and restrict openvpn speeds. Modem only mode helps.
Ok heres what ive tryed so far re-installed Windows7, reset Superhub2 back to factory settings, connected to hub via ethernet in modem mode tryed all PIA UDP & TCP port combos.

Out of all the above only one thing made a difference and that was connecting via TCP this upped my speeds to between 30-40mb but i then had issues with the vpn status constantly changing from connecting to connected to connecting over and over again.
So i had to change back to UDP and while this is stable i still cant get speeds above 10mb.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 23:28   #128
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Sorry, I don't call here often and only just saw your reply. It could be a TAP adapter issue. PIA's software is patchy at best and their support even worse. IIRC the latest updated TAP they provided is borked and people on their forum had rolled back to the earlier version.

Things to try:

To save messing with your Windows setup too much, I'd highly recommend you first burn a Linux live USB (eg Linux Mint 17.1 or Ubuntu 15.04) and test the VPN that way. You may be surprised. At least if you get great speeds you can rule out your network or whatever and focus on what may be wrong in Windows. Do run the tests with the SH in modem only mode, as otherwise you'll find your speeds crippled regardless.

If testing from Windows, get the SH back into modem only mode, and test using OpenVPN GUI with the .ovpn file for their NL server (they're in the client support area). It would also be useful to try changing the openvpn send and receive buffers, as they're pretty screwy on Windows, and changing them can give a pretty dramatic speed increase. You'd need to change the buffers by adding parameters to the .ovpn file (Google will help here).

10Mbps is way too low though even for Windows. I only run Linux and BSD these days but when I tested Win7, Win8.1 and Win10 they all worked fine.

It would also be helpful to uninstall completely the PIA software before trying the above. You may also wish to buy a cheap VPN trial from a company like AirVPN or VPN.ac to rule out issues with PIA directly. They're only a couple of quid for 3 days / a week / whatever.
Old 13-06-2015, 18:14   #129
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

If you are having issues with the PIA vpn client you can always set up the windows VPN to use PIA services.

You need to go to the web page to get a slightly different username/password to use with the PPTP vpn setup. I had to do it to my partners laptop as the client just never seemed to work on her windows 8.1 machine whereas my two seven always connects and work.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 09:10   #130
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: VPN

I use BTGuard on my 152mb / EA8500 combo and more then does the job for torrenting!
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 10:40   #131
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

OpenVPN Install / Setup on a £2 VPS - This will more than do the job, plus you are in full control of what is been logged at the other end.
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote