Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Questions about business superhub installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Questions about business superhub installation

Old 19-12-2014, 13:50   #16
DanSW
Inactive

DanSW is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Questions about business superhub installation

Hi, sorry it's been so long but I've only just got round to looking at this. Draytek 2830 arrived so can I check my proposed setup based on what ccarmock said?

I now have the 5 ips issued from Virgin and I have set up the SuperHub according to the Virgin instructions which consists of inputting the 'Static Ip Subnet' gateway address and the subnet mask and rebooting.

So I have:

SuperHub Newtwork IP (SHNIP)
SuperHub Gateway IP (SHGIP)
5 x Superhub Customer IPs (SHCIP1 - 5)
Superhub Broadcast IP

The Draytek is plugged into my switch with its own LAN static address (DLANIP)

The SuperHub itself has a static LAN IP address (SHLANIP) and is now plugged into the WAN2 ethernet port on the Draytek.

So, I need to configure:

1. a static IP for the WAN in the Draytek's WAN 'Internet Access' settings. This would be SHCIP2 with gateway being SHGIP and the subnet that of the SuperHub's subnet?

2. On client PCs the gateway to the Internet would be the DLANIP?

Thanks

Dan
DanSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2014, 18:20   #17
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

yes typically the LAN port on the SH will get the first of your usable addresses on it's LAN side. the next address would typically then be allocated to the WAN port on your Draytek, as yes I agree with your point 1

the LAN Ip address subnet of your Draytek would be something of the form 192.168.1.0/24 and you'd hav it's DHCP serve allocate these out to clients. The clients GW address would be the LAN IP of the Draytek. (such as 192.168.1.1)
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 14:31   #18
DanSW
Inactive

OK, thanks. DHCP is not enabled on the Draytek as the client PCs get that from one of our Windows servers. Not sure I've got this correct as it says it is not connected.

The image below is my Draytek's WAN2 Internet Settings. 'Static or Dynamic IP' is 'enabled' and I thought it was simply a case of putting the Superhub's details in the 'specify an IP address' section, namely:

1. The second of the IP addresses given to me by Virgin is in the 'IP Address' field
2. The 'subnet mask' is that of the Superhub's subnet mask
3. The 'Gateway IP' is that of the Superhub's Gateway IP

Correct?

If so I don't know why it isn't working...

Thanks

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: gif draytek-virgin.gif (75.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 22-12-2014, 15:42   #19
DanSW
Inactive

OK, from this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1627610

I was able to deduce that the 'specify an ip address' section should be:

1. The IP address of the Draytek's LAN IP should in the 'IP Address' field
2. The 'subnet mask' is that of the LAN's subnet mask
3. The 'Gateway IP' is that of the Superhub's LAN IP

Now says 'connected' however, can't ping/browse to an outside site/ip when i change gateway settings on a client PC to point to the Draytek. Anyone have their 2830 on their LAN care to share their settings?

Thanks

Dan

Dan
Old 22-12-2014, 16:41   #20
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

What I would try in this instance is first principles..... Suggest disconnect all RJ45 network connections from the superhub. Connect one PC to the superhub.

Ensure the Superhub is setup with the correct business cable login details etc and then on the PC you've just directly connected to it configure that PC to have the very next public IP address up from the superhub. If you have the 6 IP option then the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.248, define your detaul gateway to the the public IP address of the Superhub and use 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

Once you have everything configured that way first thing - can you ping the public IP address of the Superhub?

If so can you browse the internet?

If so that confirms all ok with the superhub config.
Old 22-12-2014, 16:55   #21
DanSW
Inactive

Thanks, will try that tomorrow.
Old 23-12-2014, 11:10   #22
DanSW
Inactive

WHAT.AN.IDIOT.

As per ccarmock's suggestion I tried to connect straight via the Superhub with the settings that Virgin gave me as part of the multiple IP setup and it didn't work at first. I rebooted the SuperHub and then I could connect. I am typing this now via the Draytek where the settings in the 'internet settings' for WAN2 in the Draytek are the same as the ones Virgin gave me for connecting a client i.e.:

IP address is the first available address
Subnet is the SuperHub's subnet mask of 255.255.255.248
Gateway is the Superhub's Gateway IP
DNS servers are the ones provided by Virgin

I feel a bit daft as the settings they give for a client directly attached are actually the settings for the WAN2 interface on the Draytek. I don't know why I made things more complicated than they need be, lol.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dan
Old 23-12-2014, 11:20   #23
ccarmock
cf.geek

Good to hear you got it working Dan
Old 23-12-2014, 11:39   #24
DanSW
Inactive

Thanks for your help, it got me going along the right lines to a resolution.

I have a couple more questions which I'm not sure should be posted here or elsewhere:

1. Failover. If I have my existing BT Broadband on WAN1, can I have WAN2 as my primary to then default to WAN1 if it goes down? I don't really need load balancing per se, just failover, not sure it can do failover only based on what I've read.

2. Firewall. With my Netgear I didn't really have to tinker with the firewall settings. The Draytek has more options and I'm wondering how 'OK' the default firewall settings are and why, for example, the Ddos Defence is not switched on by default? If I run Shields Up at https://www.grc.com/ then I'm currently in 'Stealth' which is what I would use as a benchmark with my Netgear but I am mindful that there may be other things to think about.

Dan
Old 23-12-2014, 14:29   #25
ccarmock
cf.geek

I thought the Draytek could do WAN failover. But personally I haven't used a dual WAN Draytek so can't confirm 100%.

The Draytek firewall is good but can be more complex. It has the concept of rules that need to link to the next one etc to form a chain. if your ports are shown as stealthed you are in good shape
Old 23-12-2014, 15:10   #26
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Yes the Draytek can do WAN failover we have used it on a few customers kit that have FTTC and DSL lines.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:39   #27
DanSW
Inactive

OK, thanks for the responses. I'll have another look.