Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem with ONE HD channel only!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem with ONE HD channel only!

Old 17-10-2014, 20:09   #1
DeeJR
Inactive

DeeJR is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Problem with ONE HD channel only!

Hi, new here. I joined in the hope someone can help me find a solution to this ongoing, and really frustrating problem.

I have the Sky Sports HD bundle on Virgin Media but I'm having some kind of pixelated problem with ONLY the Sky Sports 1 HD channel. This problem isn't apparent on the standard definition Sky Sports 1, nor any other HD channel.

Below is a gif of the type of pixelation I'm talking about:

Had this problem for a while and also had Virgin engineers come out and do some tests of some kind. They solved it VERY temporarily but the problem returned. If I find out what it is then maybe I can describe it better to Virgin or something...

Any help with be massively appreciated!
DeeJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2014, 20:16   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Problem with ONE HD channel only!

They need to find out what frequency ss1 hd is in your area and check other channels on that frequency
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:21   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Looks like weather interference on the satellite signal.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:26   #4
DeeJR
Inactive

DeeJR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think it's weather interference, it's been going on for over 3 months!

I guess I must just call Virgin again...
DeeJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:32   #5
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Jesus, the shot of that ugly bugger put me off my dinner......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:38   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

In my area sky sports 4 hd is on frequency 715mhz and this causes issues as the high frequencies loose alot of signal with the length of cable
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 07:39   #7
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

You need your signal levels sorting, have you put any splitters in yourself? The mux that SS1HD is on is the first to degrade when the signal is a bit weak.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 10:10   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
The mux that SS1HD is on is the first to degrade when the signal is a bit weak.
That's a bit of an over-generalisation. Most commonly the extreme frequencies will degrade first, but the channels at the extremities vary between the regions. And it's not always the extremities that get hit first. There's a fault called suck-out, often caused by cable damage, where any narrow range of frequencies can get attenuated.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 22:13   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
In my area sky sports 4 hd is on frequency 715mhz and this causes issues as the high frequencies loose alot of signal with the length of cable
I wonder why VM would place probably the most watched (and expensive) premium channel on their platform on a high frequency liable to cause the problem you describe?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:04   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder why VM would place probably the most watched (and expensive) premium channel on their platform on a high frequency liable to cause the problem you describe?
It only causes a problem if you've got a signal fault. The HD channels are put at the extremes because most customers with HD-capable boxes have had a tech visit in recent years, so are more likely to have correct signal levels. Some SD customers haven't had levels checked for 15 years.

Besides, 715MHz isn't that extreme a frequency. The channels go up to 787MHz in jb's region, and even higher elsewhere.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote