Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1GB 9800gt hdmi audio

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1GB 9800gt hdmi audio

Old 23-09-2014, 11:09   #1
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
1GB 9800gt hdmi audio

Step daughter wanted something to play minecraft on so I slapped up an 8gb i5 760 build with a 9800gt inside all using recycled parts until we get her a laptop for Christmas. Scouted around with regards to getting audio out via the HDMI on the card and had no luck. I'd rather find a way to make it work than have to set up external speakers. To clarify further the TV appears to have no audio input option despite a VGA socket so that option isn't available. She's only 8 so I don't fancy her faffing around with my build.

I'm being told SPDIF but I haven't touched one of these in my life, never needed them. So would need some serious guidance. Cheers.
Old 23-09-2014, 13:03   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: 1GB 9800gt hdmi audio

How are you connecting the HDMI to the TV if it only has a VGA socket?!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 13:12   #3
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Some older Nvidia cards don't carry audio over HDMI. Newer ones do. As to where your card stands I don't know, possibly not tho as the 9800gt is an old card.
I personally always use ati when I need audio over HDMI as it always works and had done for years.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 17:12   #4
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a 9800GTX and I had to connect the SPDIF to get audio over HDMI. Basically it is just a small cable that connects the SPDIF from the sound card to the graphics card. You should have got the required cable with the graphics card but it is quite a thin cable so could easily be lost.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 17:28   #5
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

With built in sound cards, the spdif connector will be on the motherboard. It has a pretty small connector to go over some pins.

It basically gets the sound the sound card has processed and passes it to the graphics card, so it can then pass both the graphics and sound through the one hdmi port.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 19:16   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
It basically gets the sound the sound card has processed and passes it to the graphics card, so it can then pass both the graphics and sound through the one hdmi port.
Or rather, the sound that it hasn't processed. After all it's basically a digital bitstream passthrough. The sound card practically doesn't touch it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 22:09   #7
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

It came as part of a prebuilt machine years ago do any cable is gone with that mobo. Could do with a buying suggestion and install guide.