Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | dell monitor usb hub - will it work with macbook?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

dell monitor usb hub - will it work with macbook?

Old 22-09-2014, 10:57   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
dell monitor usb hub - will it work with macbook?

i have ordered a dell uh2713h which has a usb hub
and the 2013 macbook retina

now if i attach a keyboard / mouse wireless logitech / external harddisk etc to the usb hub on the monitor, will it function...

will it find and work with my mac? or is there a way i need to connect it for the usb ports to be operational? obviously the monitor does not have thunderbolt

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2014, 11:12   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: dell monitor usb hub - will it work with macbook?

Yes it should work - USB is a standard. Only thing you'll probably find is the Mac has USB 3 but the monitor hub is USB 2
Old 22-09-2014, 12:31   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

i always thought that Macs use a different file system and wouldn't find a hard disk formatted at NTFS or Fat.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:41   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It does but can still read data off drives formatted differently.

There are system add ons you can get that let you write to drives formatted differently too.
Old 22-09-2014, 17:03   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
i always thought that Macs use a different file system and wouldn't find a hard disk formatted at NTFS or Fat.
OSX will quite happily read and write FAT formatted drives. It can also read and write ExFat formatted drives. ExFat is a slightly updated FAT format that removes some of the limitations of FAT.

OSX will happily read NTFS format drives (NTFS is better than either FAT or ExFat) but will not write NTFS format drives without add ons. I personally use Tuxera NTFS (the commercial version of the open source NTFS-3G).

However, I am wandering off the point.. As has been said before, USB is a standard thing. In terms of software support, a hub is a hub, regardless of who made it and how much it cost. While you won't necessarily be able to get a hub to work with devices such as routers (which sometimes have a USB port or two so you can plug in a printer and/or external hard drive and share them), any USB hub should work with any computer with a USB socket.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 16:24   #6
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point

great thanks guys...but a bit more clarification...

the monitor hub is usb 3.0 and so is the macbook 3.0.

how will information (be it audio/files from external hd, the usb reciever for the logitech wireless keyboard/mouse) be transmitted to the macbook??

i will probably connect via mini display port adaptor...

i dont think i will be connecting via hdmi as it doesnt offer the full resoltion

am i missing something here? still waiting for delivery of products...
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 16:26   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You'll still have to connect the hub in the monitor to the port on the Mac with USB 3 lead in addition to the display cable