Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | is direct debit mandatory?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

is direct debit mandatory?

Old 17-09-2014, 08:53   #1
podmac
Inactive

podmac is an unknown quantity at this point
is direct debit mandatory?

Just joined up and was wondering is direct debit mandatory like sky or can we simply pay online each month by card?
podmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2014, 09:05   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: is direct debit mandatory?

They say it is for when you sign up I think.

Also there is a £5 fee if you don't pay with DD. So its best just to pay that way.
Old 17-09-2014, 13:43   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They say it is for when you sign up I think.

Also there is a £5 fee if you don't pay with DD. So its best just to pay that way.
Once you're out of contract you can pay it all on-line but as Stephen says there's a £5 surcharge to do so. It does give you the flexibility to pay when funds are available rather than have the money taken at an inconvenient time or get surcharged by the bank.

Here's a related question: If you're out of contract and paying on-line and then enter a new contract can you still pay on-line rather than DD?
Old 21-09-2014, 21:08   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

There's only a surcharge if you don't ask for a [courtesy] discount

I've never paid by DD, and I've never paid a fee

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 21:30   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Once you're out of contract you can pay it all on-line but as Stephen says there's a £5 surcharge to do so. It does give you the flexibility to pay when funds are available rather than have the money taken at an inconvenient time or get surcharged by the bank.

Here's a related question: If you're out of contract and paying on-line and then enter a new contract can you still pay on-line rather than DD?
It's not about whether you are in contract or not - for cable services most people can choose whether to pay via DD or not. Only in some circumstances will a customer's credit score require them to pay via Direct Debit as part of being accepted for services.

As for the 'inconvenient time', you can usually change the Direct Debit date on cable services to one as close as possible to where you'd want it to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
There's only a surcharge if you don't ask for a [courtesy] discount

I've never paid by DD, and I've never paid a fee
If you've never paid by DD, then you won't notice it. But there is a £5 difference if you pay via Direct Debit compared to if you don't
Old 21-09-2014, 22:00   #6
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Virgin have done that for a relative, they took it on the 10th of each month by which time money was low. Relative asked if they could move it to the 15th of the month, saying they had money go in that time every month so Virgin moved the date to 22nd. All you need to do is ask them nicely to help out.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:47   #7
podmac
Inactive

podmac is an unknown quantity at this point

how long after the bill is generated is the funds taken from the bank?
podmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:57   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Depends on the billing cycle. For me it's around 20 days - my bill is generated around the 8th of each month and the DD is taken on the 26th.
Old 06-10-2014, 13:57   #9
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Latest bill done on 5th, due on 22nd.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote