Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updating V+ boxes at odd times

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updating V+ boxes at odd times

Old 27-09-2014, 17:39   #46
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Updating V+ boxes at odd times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Was it a SA box like mine and replaced with a Samsung, or did you have a Samsung anyway? Mine has been stable the last couple of days; I'm reluctant to swap until I've watched my outstanding recordings. I don't blame your OH for refusing to pay the TiVo charge, I wouldn't either. I think it's a cheek to keep charging for a new PVR, as it is I paid an upfront charge for the V+ when I got it. In the end, when they want to decommission non TiVo software compatible boxes, I'm sure that they will provide us with a TiVo with no upfront cost if the alternative is losing our monthly subscriptions.
Mine is a Samsung but it's not like the one pictured above and I can record radio.
Old 28-09-2014, 10:28   #47
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
so wrong on all accounts mate. The issue with `tampering` with the box to gain free services as you indicated previously is the same for a sky box or a virgin media box. As for not long enough I wouldn`t know how long is long enough to tamper with a box but my guess is a matter of hours not weeks as in the case of my `no service` period!
It is exactly the point - if you tamper with a box that Virgin have installed or sent to you directly, then VM know exactly did it i.e. you.

They know this because they know the state of the box when they installed / sent it to you.

Quote:
Anyway I will find out next week as I intend on phoning virgin for an offical `ruling`. I will let you know
Here is an official response from Virgin Media from 3 years ago:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M62955

Quote:
The box your friend has given to you will be obsolete because your friend has not returned the box to us it will of been removed from the system and will no longer work for anyone else who tried to use it. Your friend may end up being chased for £250 for not returning the box to us upon leaving. They would of been sent packaging to return the box to us, or a courier would of been arranged to attend an pick up the box. The box is useless to you as you are not going to be able to use it.
Here is another official response from last year
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M81185

Quote:
Hi jab91,

As per all the other posts on this thread, the Tivo box is of no use to you.
If you would like to add Tivo to your package then you will need to speak to Customer Services about upgrading.

You will need to give the Tivo box back to your friend as otherwise he will be charged for not returning the equipment.

You can reach Customer Services on 150 (free) from a Virgin Media land line or alternatively 0845 454 1111 (chargeable) from any other line.
Old 28-09-2014, 18:46   #48
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Mine is a Samsung but it's not like the one pictured above and I can record radio.
From what others have said, that one appears to be the better of the two boxes.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:34   #49
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It is exactly the point - if you tamper with a box that Virgin have installed or sent to you directly, then VM know exactly did it i.e. you.

They know this because they know the state of the box when they installed / sent it to you.

Here is an official response from Virgin Media from 3 years ago:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M62955

Here is another official response from last year
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M81185
The neighbour only moved into the house a few weeks ago and the v+ box had been left by the previous owner so is not her fault (or mine come to that) that the box wasn`t returned. She just thought I could make use of it as she has had Sky installed.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:49   #50
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Where have I said it's the fault of either of you?
Old 29-09-2014, 19:52   #51
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Where have I said it's the fault of either of you?
Didn`t say you did was just stating the fact.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 16:47   #52
ICanFix343
Inactive

ICanFix343 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this problem once, but before it rebooted it made 2 click noises. Then the screen turned black, and made 2 clicks again. Then it rebooted. This happened at different times too like your problem
ICanFix343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:30   #53
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Seems this new(er) V+ box is going the same way ..
Old 01-02-2015, 17:35   #54
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Seems this new(er) V+ box is going the same way ..
If you mean the thing where it says the V+ service is being activated or deactivated, and then it reboots, it will do. It's a software fault and all V+ boxes do it. They shouldn't have replaced your box before.

The fault has been prevalent this week due to some engineering work. Already being discussed here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...ast-night.html
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote