Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Annoying Android adverts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Annoying Android adverts

Old 19-09-2014, 00:46   #46
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Annoying Android adverts

It really isn't. It's nearly impossible to break most manufacturers' phones by flashing, plus flashing is technically exactly same thing you do every time you download an app, update the system, or take a photo.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2014, 08:24   #47
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I had a look at the links Jo supplied and couldn't follow the installer one at all. Got lost in all the steps and with the jargon which is double Dutch to me.

I seem to come up with an alternative 'solution' anyway. Disabling Wi-Fi seems to have done the trick since neither GSearch or GFirewall have reappeared since I did so. By way of a test, I'll switch it back on in a day or two if the phone is still clear and see what happens.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:59   #48
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I had a look at the links Jo supplied and couldn't follow the installer one at all. Got lost in all the steps and with the jargon which is double Dutch to me.

I seem to come up with an alternative 'solution' anyway. Disabling Wi-Fi seems to have done the trick since neither GSearch or GFirewall have reappeared since I did so. By way of a test, I'll switch it back on in a day or two if the phone is still clear and see what happens.
The simplest thing that works gets a thumbs up from me. The only reason I messed with my phone was that it was a hand-me-down freebie from my son and he double dared me to have a go.
Old 24-09-2014, 12:50   #49
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
The simplest thing that works gets a thumbs up from me. The only reason I messed with my phone was that it was a hand-me-down freebie from my son and he double dared me to have a go.
Me too. I think that's the only way I'd try tbh Jo. That or if I had an expert sat right next to me able to help me make sense of all the options, choices, etc. which are required.
Old 24-09-2014, 13:38   #50
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

From my first time on a now puny HTC wildfire, the bits I found difficult back then were rooting the device and putting CWM recovery (Clockwork recovery) on there. Flashing a new ROM was the easiest bit.

Always keeping a backup of the OS and even a fresh installation zip on an SD to flash from the boot menu is recommended.

Galaxy S2 S3 and S4 as well as an s3 mini, the wildfire and a HTC sensation flashed since. It's brought life to my S3 which is now basically my guinea pig.

I can't stand ads in apps so I can't bare to think of the annoyance you're having.
Old 30-09-2014, 10:57   #51
Osem
Inactive

TVM for the feedback Adzii.

Just by way of an update. Since disabling Wi-Fi I've found the apps have not reappeared. I reconnected Wi-Fi a couple of days ago and there have been no more ads. Fingers crossed they've gone for good.
Old 30-09-2014, 17:21   #52
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

With many of the cheap Chinese phones, tablets, music players etc, the people who sell them usually get the rom images or firmware from a few well known chinese websites, that make/modify firmwares to work properly on the cheap copies. Think of them as a chinese xda-developers type forums, where someone will add extra features to existing firmware, which means those selling can add extra features to their marketing/selling pages.

The problem is that some of the popular chinese roms/firmware have been backdoored from the start by those offering them on the forums. As they are at such a low level they are not easily identified or got rid off.

The only real way to know for sure is to flash a trusted rom like Cyanogen and also the baseband.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01   #53
Osem
Inactive

Nice explanation cheers.
Old 01-10-2014, 18:27   #54
Smoggie1979
Inactive

Smoggie1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Android phone & some apps has annoying adverts blocking most of my Android phones screen you have to buy the premium version that has no annoying adverts
Smoggie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14   #55
Osem
Inactive

Just an update on this. I still have the phone and it's working fine. I disabled the android.cube preinstalled app which appears to be at the root of this issue but discovered it relaunches itself every time the phone is turned off/on. I now leave the phone on, avoid using it on Wi-Fi (because the rogue apps only appear via wi-fi) and stick to mobile data when I need it which isn't often. The problem hasn't reappeared.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26   #56
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Basically crippling the internet on the phone with wifi off.

Is it an app you have installed?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36   #57
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Having gone to a Samsung phone I now find that when I delete an app it stays deleted..unlike the previous two HTC phones.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38   #58
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Basically crippling the internet on the phone with wifi off.

Is it an app you have installed?
For many people it would be but I don't tend to use my phone to access the internet much. If I need internet when out and about, 1gb data for £5 pm is more than adequate.

The problem stems from preinstalled adware which can only be removed by rooting and that for me is more trouble than it's worth. If I did stuff like banking and shopping online by phone I'd definitely get a UK phone but for my limited use and apart from the pesky adverts the phone's been great.