Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Freeview???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Freeview???

Old 31-07-2014, 19:29   #1
Inactive

557953 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable Freeview???

Hi,
I have just moved into a new flat and it has no TV antenna or any cabling to receive tv through an aerial. I'm not much into TV these days but it would be nice to watch the odd thing now and again.
Virgin Media provide me with an Internet service, and I do somewhere (im still half in boxes) have a 3rd party cable box, and was wondering if I cou;d plug this in to get just the freeview channels??? I assume this can be done as when i left virgin TV years ago at my old house I kept getting the free channels (might have been NTL at the time actually). I'd rather not pay out to get an aerial installed ect or pay for TV thru Virgin as I only watch once in a while but if this is ok then it will be worth the TV licence fee .

I had a brief look at my wires coming in from virgin, and I only have 1 wire, with a little box on it and then another wire coming out of it that go's to my router. Im sure when I paid for VM a few years ago I had 2 cables coming out 1 for TV and 1 for internet??

So anyway I just wanted to check im not doing anything wrong before I set it up, and looking for advice on how I could connect the old TV box up to get the freeview channels??? Is there some kind of adapter I would need to get it done???

Best Regards and thankyou for reading
557953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2014, 20:34   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Cable Freeview???

OK, I'll say it!

What you want to do is wrong. It is also against the Ts&Cs of your Virgin Media service to connect a TV box that has not been supplied by Virgin Media and for which you are not subscribed.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 20:47   #3
Inactive

557953 is an unknown quantity at this point

perfect, thankyou for the information I was't sure so thought I'd better check before hand.

Looks like its just catch up for me, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Best Regards
557953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:21   #4
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

In your situation, either use your internet to watch freeview or get freesat installed
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:43   #5
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557953 View Post
Hi,
I have just moved into a new flat and it has no TV antenna or any cabling to receive tv through an aerial. I'm not much into TV these days but it would be nice to watch the odd thing now and again.
Virgin Media provide me with an Internet service, and I do somewhere (im still half in boxes) have a 3rd party cable box, and was wondering if I cou;d plug this in to get just the freeview channels??? I assume this can be done as when i left virgin TV years ago at my old house I kept getting the free channels (might have been NTL at the time actually). I'd rather not pay out to get an aerial installed ect or pay for TV thru Virgin as I only watch once in a while but if this is ok then it will be worth the TV licence fee .

I had a brief look at my wires coming in from virgin, and I only have 1 wire, with a little box on it and then another wire coming out of it that go's to my router. Im sure when I paid for VM a few years ago I had 2 cables coming out 1 for TV and 1 for internet??

So anyway I just wanted to check im not doing anything wrong before I set it up, and looking for advice on how I could connect the old TV box up to get the freeview channels??? Is there some kind of adapter I would need to get it done???

Best Regards and thankyou for reading
If you only want to watch a bit of tv then this might be more suited for you http://www.tvcatchup.com/
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

TVCatchup is a shadow of its former self since they had to take all the extra channels off it.

All it shows now is the BBC's output, plus the other 4 public service channels, and a small handful of unutterable dross that nobody watches anyway.

I agree with techguy, for a small outlay, just get an independent aerial bloke to fit an antenna for you. Depending on any restrictions on your flat and which direction your TV transmitter is, you can choose between either Freeview or Freesat for the best possible reception.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38   #7
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
TVCatchup is a shadow of its former self since they had to take all the extra channels off it.

All it shows now is the BBC's output, plus the other 4 public service channels, and a small handful of unutterable dross that nobody watches anyway.

I agree with techguy, for a small outlay, just get an independent aerial bloke to fit an antenna for you. Depending on any restrictions on your flat and which direction your TV transmitter is, you can choose between either Freeview or Freesat for the best possible reception.
It is quite poor i agree but for the 5 channels the op wants then it would be a good solution, however if the op wants most freeview channels then i agree they would be better of getting a small antenna for their tv or a tv tuner for their pc.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not being on a fast broadband connection, I've never been able to judge, but do you know what level of quality TVCatchup streams at?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19   #9
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not being on a fast broadband connection, I've never been able to judge, but do you know what level of quality TVCatchup streams at?
I use the application they are beta testing, it downloads the programmes to my pc sadly though at the moment you can only record one programme at a time. The quality is decent but i personally prefer this site http://tvplayer.com/ it doesn't have many channels at the moment but i was running it without any issues on my cousins connection which is only 2mbs and it was great quality.