Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo now available via Quickstart

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo now available via Quickstart

Old 06-04-2015, 09:52   #31
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo now available via Quickstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
(a) what do you do with the Samsung box it is replacing
If it's a V+, you would get return packaging to send it back. You can recycle older Samsungs yourself.

Quote:
Further to my post above, I just looked at the installaton video for the Tivo box, and I see it comes with a router. I already have a router (superhub) for my BB, so will I need the other one they send with Tivo? Very confusing!
They won't send one if you don't need it. There are various Quickstart packages.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Further to my post above, I just looked at the installaton video for the Tivo box, and I see it comes with a router. I already have a router (superhub) for my BB, so will I need the other one they send with Tivo? Very confusing!
There is a specific video that just covers swapping your box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5XCl_FqJC4
Old 04-06-2015, 21:21   #33
Stehayn
Inactive

Stehayn is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently upgraded to the big kahuna bundle with TiVo, and we had the QuickStart option. The pack arrived last Saturday with the TiVo box and a new broadband router, however there was no splitter or coaxial cable in the box.

A bit annoying but I rang Virgin and they apologised and said we should receive the cables and splitter by Tuesday. Nothing had been received by then so I rang them back and the guy I spoke to told me it had been sent out but by normal Royal Mail post and should get it by the end of the week.

Bit fed up now as we haven't been able to use the TiVo box all week, and I'm considering cancelling as we're still in the 14 day period.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Stehayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 22:41   #34
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

It get sent separate mate when I added second box my card and cable come night before the box
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Everything should be in the same box, as long as the right box has been ordered.

There are normally two types, one to swap existing kit meaning no cables or Smartcards are required, and one to add to an existing setup.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:38   #36
Stehayn
Inactive

Stehayn is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 50mb broadband and weekend calls originally, but the only coxial cable is for the broadband router. That's why we need extra cable and a splitter. When I spoke to the guy to upgrade he said everything would be in the box.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

In the box that came we had the tivo box with smart card, a new broadband router and power cables and a hdmi lead.
Stehayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:22   #37
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Quickstart is normally 3 working days for delivery (to most addresses), so can be up to 5 days if you order on a Friday.

If it's a swap pack then TiVo would reuse your existing cabling as it doesn't come with any.

Your broadband increase would tie into your TiVo order.
The power socket to which my current V+ box is connected is difficult to get to, can the V+ power lead simply be removed from the back and connected to a TiVo, or are they different?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:47   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

The power supplies for TiVo are different to those for all other STBs.
Old 18-03-2016, 15:11   #39
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The vplus lead can be used for the TiVo psu
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 18:15   #40
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The vplus lead can be used for the TiVo psu
Didn't know that it had a separate PSU. Could the existing V+ power lead be taken out of the back of the V+, put into the PSU and the outgoing lead from the PSU plugged into the back of the TiVo?
Old 19-03-2016, 18:57   #41
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Didn't know that it had a separate PSU. Could the existing V+ power lead be taken out of the back of the V+, put into the PSU and the outgoing lead from the PSU plugged into the back of the TiVo?
Yeah thats what I do when installing Tivo, saves untangling wires
Old 20-03-2016, 12:40   #42
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Yeah thats what I do when installing Tivo, saves untangling wires
Excellent news! I won't have to worry about gaining access to the plug socket that is difficult to get to.

Just out of interest, why does the TiVo have a separate PSU as opposed to all the other boxes?

I guess it does make things easier in the event of a PSU failure.
Old 20-03-2016, 16:40   #43
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Excellent news! I won't have to worry about gaining access to the plug socket that is difficult to get to.

Just out of interest, why does the TiVo have a separate PSU as opposed to all the other boxes?

I guess it does make things easier in the event of a PSU failure.
Yeah and I think it reduces heat in the box meaning no fan needed
Old 20-03-2016, 16:46   #44
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

A major advantage of an external supply block for the developers of a product is that a third party is responsible for safety, approvals and EMC (CE mark) compatibility testing.

It cuts down dramatically on the development costs of a product.