Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tethering on VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tethering on VM

Old 20-04-2014, 13:42   #16
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Tethering on VM

Vodafone allow tethering..but then I'm paying for the data so I can use up my allowance as I see fit.
Old 21-04-2014, 01:20   #17
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Vodafone allow tethering..but then I'm paying for the data so I can use up my allowance as I see fit.
Same with EE, but even with tethering I find it difficult to get anywhere near my 10GB limit
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:22   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Same with EE, but even with tethering I find it difficult to get anywhere near my 10GB limit
Same here ,i also find the 3g is far better than my crappy 6mg connection from sky/BT,and as Maggie said i pay for the data so i should be allowed to use it how i see fit
Old 21-04-2014, 09:48   #19
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Same here ,i also find the 3g is far better than my crappy 6mg connection from sky/BT,and as Maggie said i pay for the data so i should be allowed to use it how i see fit
Unfortunately that is untrue. You are allowed to use any service according to the Ts&Cs of that service. If they say that you cannot use tethering then you cannot use tethering.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:59   #20
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Unfortunately that is untrue. You are allowed to use any service according to the Ts&Cs of that service. If they say that you cannot use tethering then you cannot use tethering.
oh i know that but it's one of T&C's that doesn't make any sense to me
Old 21-04-2014, 10:35   #21
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
oh i know that but it's one of T&C's that doesn't make any sense to me
Whether or not it makes any sense, you are stuck with it and if tethering is what you want to do, you will have to go elsewhere.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 23:15   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
No one does anymore
T-Mobile still does but only on certain handset contracts.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Quote:
Still doesn't make sense to me ,i could stream a film on my phone or i could still do it on my phone but connect it to a laptop and watch the film on a bigger screen ,same data allowance is used so why the hassle?
Except it won't be the same data allowance, your laptop can (and probably will) stream at a higher quality. It can also play back video your phone is incapable of. You can also download larger files, as it has more storage space, etc.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 06:48   #23
Virgin N00b
Inactive

Virgin N00b is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
T-Mobile still does but only on certain handset contracts.
Three do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Except it won't be the same data allowance, your laptop can (and probably will) stream at a higher quality. It can also play back video your phone is incapable of. You can also download larger files, as it has more storage space, etc.
(I think) what MartyH was reffering to, was connecting the phone to a laptop by using a cable.

So it's still the phone that's using the data allowance, but it's transferring it to the laptop screen via an HDMI out.
Virgin N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 13:09   #24
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgin N00b View Post
Three do as well.

(I think) what MartyH was reffering to, was connecting the phone to a laptop by using a cable.

So it's still the phone that's using the data allowance, but it's transferring it to the laptop screen via an HDMI out.
nearly i'm talking about using the phone as a modem connected to my laptop via a usb
Old 30-04-2014, 15:29   #25
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The bottom line is they want you to use as little bandwidth as possible and with tethering you will use more in the long run.

The Three contract i'm on has always had unlimited data and unlimited tethering. They do some traffic shaping during work hours to things like torrents although I still got 3 to 4Mbps (3G) when I torrented during those hours.

Tethered (wireless) a lot when I moved as it took a month to get a new net connection installed. Must have done 50GB that month between all the devices (wired devices had their gateway set to a wireless device that tethered to the phone) and in all honesty, if it wasn't for gaming occasionally, I could probably do without having a fixed line internet as it's so fast and stable. Usually don't even hit 1 or 2GB. Nice to have the option to use it as a backup though.

I assume the same Three contracts still work the same for new customers.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 12:41   #26
PsyCrow
Inactive

PsyCrow is on a distinguished roadPsyCrow is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know what will happen to my service if I tether? I am on a 30-day sim only unlimited data tariff. I know I can do it as I have just tried it and it worked, but what will VM do if I continue to use it?
PsyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 13:48   #27
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

If they detect you doing it then they will block you from doing it in the future.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:36   #28
PsyCrow
Inactive

PsyCrow is on a distinguished roadPsyCrow is on a distinguished road

I was away on holiday in a property that did not have Wi-Fi and I was able to tether 1.4GB of data. Not bothered if they block my from tethering as I can't see me needing to do it again any time soon.
PsyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote