Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Congestion Isn't Just VM Only

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Congestion Isn't Just VM Only

Old 25-03-2014, 23:17   #16
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Congestion Isn't Just VM Only

Tonight's excitement.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 25.86 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 61.86 Mbps-77.33 Mbps
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2014, 17:17   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Back on Infinity myself, on the Aberdeen Denburn exchange which some providers say is having... problems... Should set up a monitor except a) TBB won't allow me to and b) the crappy HomeHub doesn't accept WAN pings.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:52   #18
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Denburn should be fine now.

http://status.aa.net.uk/1902
Old 28-03-2014, 14:36   #19
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Interesting... Co-inhabitants have been reporting packet-loss/gaming lag since the 22nd funny enough, I've not had any real monitoring set up to see where it was, though we did have a BRAS outage a few days ago too.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

This is fixed as of last night with a new physical backhaul link and enlarged SVLANs.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Your place or mine? Got a before/after TBB chart?
Old 02-04-2014, 13:50   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Mine, and yes.

Last Tuesday:

This Tuesday:

Overnight drop was the work being done.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:48   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Nice.

I've finally gotten round to replacing the dreaded Home Hub of Suckage with my own router imported from my Edinburgh Infinity line - and setting up a new TBB monitor (my account's been broken and not allowed me to create any new monitors for years now...)

As I say, Aberdeen Denburn exchange which supposedly had issues recently, and housemates constantly complaining about lag/packet loss and so forth - though I suspect some of that might have been related to the HH5 since it all disappeared as soon as I put my own custom router in it's place.

Seems I'm on an ECI DSLAM now as I now get upstream line stats too, which I didn't used to

Lets see how this goes... Not sure the monitor will stay up too long though, non-static IP and I'm still messing around with the network settings. Used to have average PPPoE uptime of 45+ days in Edinburgh but I doubt it'll manage the same here, even though I'm on the same BRAS.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:42   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Denburn should be fine now.

http://status.aa.net.uk/1902
Doesn't look very fine to me:

Also, been a while since I checked but it looks like there's load or congestion problems even on the core network from England up to Edinburgh (the following being BRAS')

Old 14-04-2014, 22:24   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

OK, well since I've already hijacked this thread, I was wondering if you could help me figure out at what level the problems are occurring with my BT Infinity connection.

So what I've figured out so far - firstly, whatever the issue is it's somewhere between my exchange (Denburn) and Edinburgh. That leg reaches saturation pretty much all day from 2pm to 2am now (reminiscent of VM issues I used to get). Download speeds drop from line rate (70Mbps+) to less than 10Mbps at peak times. Latency and packet loss pretty much exactly match your example of "bad 21CN congestion" earlier:

Now according to AAISP, Denburn should be fixed. Now I'm not sure what is fixed, and what other variables could perhaps be in play that cause issues specifically for BT, but not AAISP. Nonetheless BT Retail is seeing very low speeds and heavy packet loss, and I'm guessing AAISP is not. Both are BT Wholesale based.

What I also know is the physical pipe between Denburn and Edinburgh is not at saturation, as there are other links (e.g. the ptm.301 "backdoor" network on the Openreach modem) where I can ping some Juniper device somewhere around Edinburgh/Glasgow and receive consistent, loss-free and jitter-free responses throughout the day that do not get worse at peak times. Pinging the PPPoE gateway though, again in Edinburgh, does see increased packet loss and latency. So it's only the PPPoE based "Internet" connection that is affected by the congestion.

The physical pipe to the nearest core node or WBC interconnect (21CN backhaul?), isn't saturated, but whatever logical pipe BT Retail uses for Infinity is... What could it be? Is it likely to be the SVLAN again, or something else?

And more importantly, is it something BT can easily fix?

[Edit] Just noticed AAISP say Denburn is fixed, but Plusnet say is it not http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
Old 15-04-2014, 18:42   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Well, funny enough about 2am last night our connection went down and BT supposedly installed an additional 10G pipe for added capacity, no problems visible today.

Quote:
Supplier investigating, capacity issue identified, capacity to be added, 10G was installed early morning and initial checks are showing good results, monitoring. 15/04/14
Old 17-04-2014, 15:30   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Infinity 2 connection

HomeHub 5 stats

6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 37191 / 130099
8. Noise margin: 16.9 / 22.0
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 8.3
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 8.3

not a clue what all that means though
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 15:42   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

It means that your connection is fine.

And with the correct upgrades your line could be capable of 200Mbps+