Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Car tax disc is to be scrapped after 93 years

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Car tax disc is to be scrapped after 93 years

Old 08-06-2016, 00:37   #286
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The Car tax disc is to be scrapped after 93 years

Its a dumb and complicated system anyway, I never understood why they dint just scrap it and add to the general fuel tax, its pretty much impossible to avoid paying it then, and the more you use it, the more you pay.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2016, 09:01   #287
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Its a dumb and complicated system anyway, I never understood why they dint just scrap it and add to the general fuel tax, its pretty much impossible to avoid paying it then, and the more you use it, the more you pay.
This way the manufacturers can't fiddle their fuel consumption and carbon emissions either to get into a lower tax band.
Old 08-06-2016, 13:55   #288
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Putting it on fuel isn't as easy as it sounds:

1: You'd need to create a "red petrol" (in the same way you have red diesel) for off-road use, as I doubt anyone wants to pay car tax on their generators, lawn mowers, and strimmers.

2: What about electric cars? Yes they're car tax free as it stands, but that can't continue as they gain in popularity. You'd then have to either re-introduce per-car taxing or force all electric car charging points to be separately metered and charged for, including those on house electric supplies.

3: Fuel smuggling (already a very big issue in Northern Ireland) and "cleaned fuel" (where red/green tax free diesel is washed through cat litter to remove the dye) would become much more commonplace . Expect lots more VOSA checkpoints to allow them to physically check fuel tanks for illegal fuel (no ANPR for that), and lots of illegal dumping of very nasty cleaning byproducts.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 16:04   #289
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

I found myself needing to get a little runabout at the end of April, I went and looked at a car advertised privately on a Saturday afternoon and said 'I'll have it'. This was the 30th April, the last day of the month, the seller had it parked off road on his driveway and was keen to do the deal on the spot so he could cancel the tax. I agreed to come back the following day and pick it up as it would enable me to change my car insurance and tax it. The insurance change was dealt with online and was completed in minutes and within a few more minutes I receive my new insurance certificate via email. The next challenge was to tax it with the 12 digit reference on the New Keepers supplement V5C/2. I knew the vehicle was still on the MID and the system wouldn't be intelligent enough to know that it wasn't on their system in my name yet, so I thought it would be a doddle.

I followed the online instructions, vehicle registration, don't have a reminder in my name etc, I have a V5C/2 and 12 digit reference.... all looking good.... enter the details, press the continue button..... A message telling me that it is already being processed.

I went to pick up the car and carried a copy of the insurance certificate and a screenshot of my attempt to tax it that day. When speaking to the seller, he said that he had failed to inform them that he was selling the vehicle because the website only allowed you to do that Monday - Friday between office hours, also Monday was a bank holiday so the only way he could avoid being charged for another months tax was to declare the vehicle off-road and SORN it.

This is probably the reason why I couldn't tax it, as it was waiting to be processed by a little man in the job creation centre located in Swansea.

I wasn't able to tax the vehicle until the afternoon of the 5th May, I had to use the vehicle from the 2nd May. I attempted about a dozen times each day but checking the tax status kept showing it as taxed up until the afternoon of the 5th when the little man finally got around to processing it.

Last edited by Escapee; 08-06-2016 at 16:06. Reason: fixed some of my spelling
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 19:28   #290
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

It would be ok if the money collected for road tax gets used for the ruddy pot holes to be filled in.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 19:40   #291
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
That's what I have been saying for a couple of decades.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 19:42   #292
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

I`ve just had my reminder but can anyone tell me why paying for 6 months by direct debit is cheaper than paying for 6 months all in one go yet paying for 12 months by direct debit is the same as 12 months in one go.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 20:47   #293
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
It would be ok if the money collected for road tax gets used for the ruddy pot holes to be filled in.
There is no "Road tax"... It's Vehicle excise duty - a tax on your car. Council Tax is for the upkeep of roads etc.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote