Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   30M : Which router for QOS and N & G devices? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687597)

UserOfVirgin 13-05-2012 01:56

Re: Which router for QOS and N & G devices?

So is it better to just forget QOS and stick with the Superhub?

thenry 13-05-2012 01:59

no

qasdfdsaq 13-05-2012 02:13

lol

Dush 13-05-2012 10:16

Is QoS hard to setup when traffic shaping/or speed limits take place? You have to tell the router your max bandwidth but if that keeps changing won't it render it useless?

qasdfdsaq 13-05-2012 17:01

Gargoyle adapts automatically.

General Maximus 13-05-2012 17:11

I know I am late coming in but you should have a look at the Linksys range; very reliable and rock solid performance and packed full of features.

UserOfVirgin 14-05-2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35427336)
I know I am late coming in but you should have a look at the Linksys range; very reliable and rock solid performance and packed full of features.

Any in particular?

And what features them stand out?

dave.m 14-05-2012 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dush (Post 35427103)
Is QoS hard to setup when traffic shaping/or speed limits take place? You have to tell the router your max bandwidth but if that keeps changing won't it render it useless?

There are builds of tomato with default QOS rules (look for Toastman) that might be ok for you out of the box or at least show you how to create/tweak them (even the default tomato has some rules already set up, they're not that hard to understand imo).

As for when/if STM kicks in I use the "Virgin Media UK STM Monitoring Script" which adjusts the max upload/download bandwidth to whatever tier you're on.

pabscars 14-05-2012 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserOfVirgin (Post 35427709)
Any in particular?

And what features them stand out?

I found the WRT610N to be very good (simultaneous G and N) with half decent Qos, granted it was a couple of years ago but I paid £170 for mine and found it really easy to use.

Just had a quick mooch on fleebay and found one on there for next to nowt

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/26102...d=342619296021

Gets my vote anyway

qasdfdsaq 14-05-2012 16:28

Everything that does N does simultaneous G and N. I think you mean simultaneous A and G, aka simultaneous dual-band.

General Maximus 14-05-2012 18:44

the E1000 is your entry model, the E2000 has gigabit ports which is the minimum model you will want as far as future proofing goes. The E3000 which I have got does simultaneous dual band, has a usb port so I can attach an external hdd and through the router config set it up as a media server over the lan or external ftp server or something. I cant remember what is so awesome about the e4200 bit i know 2 peeps who have got them and they swear by them, as I do my 3000. I have always had linksys routers and they have been top notch for performance and reliability. Although they come with a whole raft of features and configurations you can customise, you can also install tomato on them which is even better (although I dont need it myself)

pabscars 14-05-2012 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35427839)
Everything that does N does simultaneous G and N. I think you mean simultaneous A and G, aka simultaneous dual-band.

You might be right qas :)

just copied this from the Cisco website

Features:*
Two bands of Wireless-N for high-performance wireless entertainment
Media Optimized Networking technology provides smoother streaming of high-definition video, music or gaming
Storage Link provides USB connectivity for hard drives and portable memory

I had mine set up to prioritise one network over the other, so the wife messing around on FB and Youtube didn't affect my gaming too much