Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Virgin Media TiVo iPad app (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674543)

BenMcr 18-02-2011 21:47

Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies83 (Post 35177575)
Virgin Player mobile works on the iPhone - just not on WiFi (only on 3G - I assume its a rights issue).

Correct, it is down to the rights. The same restriction applies for any mobile device that can access the Player

pauldavies83 18-02-2011 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by graeme2b (Post 35177579)
Anybody else wondering how this is going to work? I have TiVo and the US version of the app obviously they dont work.. yet! But the US version obviously looks for the box locally, using ethernet connection to a router. Virgins wont be wireless I assume (unless its some massive secret easter egg for us later?) which would mean that it would then have to connect via the internet meaning possible lag when changing channels etc....

your thoughts please...

The TiVo box has an ethernet port - this could be attached to your home WiFi router to enable your iPad to see the TiVo locally in the same way as in the US.

graeme2b 18-02-2011 22:04

mmm maybe and hopefully, but i cant see VM doing it as TiVo has 10mb broadband built in... US boxes have to be connected to a router to get the TiVo service... Ethernet is normally just for Service.

its going to be interesting.. I hope its that simple though

Gra

TonyHoyle 18-02-2011 22:38

The ethernet is already (partially) active*.. it's just not finished yet.

* As in it can be pinged, but nothing else is listening.

DaBoz 18-02-2011 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35177606)
Correct, it is down to the rights. The same restriction applies for any mobile device that can access the Player

So what about wifi? And a laptop, thats a mobile device. Or a tablet, or a minI tablet like (iPod touch size) or a smartphone on wifi only.

Seems that this distinction between a computer and a mobile phone is outdated.

Gone a bit off topic here, so back to the iPad TiVo app. Is the rights issue going to prevent iPad app playing VM content in ANY way? And does this issue become technical (flash)? In which case we're back to will a generic flash enabled tablet support playing the content?

Still back to my point that the US has got this right with the likes of Sling. And we're very much behind, quibbling over technical and license issues. They sorted the problem, why cant the Brits?

Boz

BenMcr 18-02-2011 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35177660)
Is the rights issue going to prevent iPad app playing VM content in ANY way? And does this issue become technical (flash)? In which case we're back to will a generic flash enabled tablet support playing the content?

Haven't a clue.

Doz007 24-02-2011 08:22

Just watched the video from Tivo in the OP. All I can say is wow, this would be a killer app for VM & Tivo in the UK!!

Doz007 22-05-2011 16:55

Any update on this, we're almost at the end of Q2.....

Sirius 22-05-2011 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35242706)
Any update on this, we're almost at the end of Q2.....

Have VM made any announcement at all about an ipad app for there version of Tivo ?

Digital Fanatic 22-05-2011 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35242709)
Have VM made any announcement at all about an ipad app for there version of Tivo ?

Cindy Rose said in an interview that we will get it.

Sirius 22-05-2011 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35242715)
Cindy Rose said in an interview that we will get it.

Did she say when

Doz007 22-05-2011 17:30

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...service-912206

That article mentions this year, but I'm sure I read elsewhere before the end of Q2. I'll keep hunting. :)

marlman 24-05-2011 10:11

I really want this app there are loads of reviews on You tube for the American version.

Used the YouTube app on TiVo for the first time to find them very impressive looks like a killer app to me!

muppetman11 24-05-2011 12:03

Remote record apps will be a great addition for TIVO users , I use Sky+ app for my iPad , iPod touch and android phone and they are great much better than using the web listings or mobile listings.

DaBoz 24-05-2011 12:23

BTW, it won't just be Virgin's TiVo app that will do remote record, other iOS apps will do it soon too. The "TV Guide" iOS app will be one of them:
http://getsatisfaction.com/tvguideco..._remote_record