Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k' (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681608)

martyh 03-10-2011 19:54

Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:

London's tube drivers are set to see their wages rise 5% this year, more than double the national average, to hit £55,000pa over the next four years.
That's a hell of a deal

Quote:

The latest pay offer by London Underground (LU) has been put to leaders of the Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT) who are now consulting their members' representatives.
Whats to consult ,any other worker would snatch their employers hand of :rolleyes:

Quote:

LU said the deal offered the prospect of no industrial action over wages until at least 2015.
ah so LU have bottled it then with the olympics coming up

Quote:

Under its terms, staff would get a 5% increase this year followed by RPI inflation plus 0.5% in the subsequent three years.
It is a marked improvement on national salary increase averages
no kidding

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16081693

Russ 03-10-2011 19:59

Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Give it 12 months and I'm sure Bob Crow will find something else to whine about, which of course will lead to more strikes.

Stuart 03-10-2011 20:04

It'll backfire..

The DLR routinely operates with no actual driver on the train (although there is a member of staff who can take control, closes the doors and checks tickets). The Victoria and Jubilee lines can also operate the same way...

Ignitionnet 03-10-2011 22:34

This is absolutely repugnant, and offensive to Londoners who are feeling the squeeze of below inflation pay rises or freezes.

*Taps a quick and unhappy email to Boris and TfL.

martyh 03-10-2011 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35309650)
This is absolutely repugnant, and offensive to Londoners who are feeling the squeeze of below inflation pay rises or freezes.

I think that the tube users should boycott the tube in protest

Ignitionnet 03-10-2011 23:43

It's not even protecting the Olympics from strikes so Bob can hold LU to ransom over that separately for heaven's sake. Pathetic.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

I'm rather hoping to see what Boris has to say about this, given we've Osborne and Pickles getting all hard on unions Boris capitulating to the RMT in this alleged time of austerity where we're all in it together.

Handing a pay rise of this level to the RMT is an insult to Londoners receiving below inflation pay rises and seeing well above inflation fare rises, it's an insult to the entire public sector who are seeing pensions and salaries put under pressure, and it's an insult to everyone who voted for Boris in the mayoral election.

Tezcatlipoca 03-10-2011 23:44

Absolutely disgusting :mad:

Gary L 04-10-2011 00:37

I think we should give the Londeners a £50 bonus in their benefits too. we don't want them rioting again and scaring the foreigners.

Derek 05-10-2011 16:19

Personally i think anything over £20,000 for pressing a button to go forwards and another to stop is a good deal. There are some who disagree though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-deserve-50000

Quote:

Tube drivers are unsung heroes
They risk the trauma of 'jumpers' to drive millions across the capital every day underground – tube drivers deserve £50,000
So by that logic anyone in the armed forces deserves a huge increase. Bus drivers who are more likely to hit someone should be on 100k plus and paramedics should get a gold plated private jet for possibly dealing with some blood.

richard1960 05-10-2011 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35309650)

*Taps a quick and unhappy email to Boris and TfL.

Would this be the same Boris who in the london mayor elections of 2008 called for a no strike deal with the tube unions,which he has not delivered on as yet.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35310603)
Personally i think anything over £20,000 for pressing a button to go forwards and another to stop is a good deal. There are some who disagree though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-deserve-50000

So by that logic anyone in the armed forces deserves a huge increase. Bus drivers who are more likely to hit someone should be on 100k plus and paramedics should get a gold plated private jet for possibly dealing with some blood.

Seems there are lots of special deals in the public services

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ing-phone.html

I work in the public service myself and have always answered the phone when off duty for free ie no payment.

The tube unions use their power no doubt but so do other vested interests wrongly in my view.:(

Derek 05-10-2011 17:06

Quote:

Seems there are lots of special deals in the public services

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ing-phone.html

I work in the public service myself and have always answered the phone when off duty for free ie no payment.
Except thats a lie or at best very selective journalism the kind of which I'd expect to see in the pages of the Daily Mail.

Quote:

The recall can include taking a short phone call "requiring a decision" when off-duty.

It means an experienced sergeant earning more than £40,000 a year would be given more than £100 for taking a call that might only last a few moments.
So someone at the very top of their wage bracket, who happens to be on-call such as a negotiator or firearms advisor, has to deal with something outwith their normal hours before the payment is triggered. It's not a blank cheque the second the phone rings.

Tim Deegan 05-10-2011 17:12

Quote:

Tube drivers are unsung heroes
They risk the trauma of 'jumpers' to drive millions across the capital every day underground – tube drivers deserve £50,000
And what about the emergency services who actually have to remove the dead bodies from under the trains (the drivers don't have to do that), and don't get paid anywhere near the drivers.

richard1960 05-10-2011 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35310627)
Except thats a lie or at best very selective journalism the kind of which I'd expect to see in the pages of the Daily Mail.

So someone at the very top of their wage bracket, who happens to be on-call such as a negotiator or firearms advisor, has to deal with something outwith their normal hours before the payment is triggered. It's not a blank cheque the second the phone rings.

In the article it stated even constables who had just joined could get these payments.

Even a newly trained constable earning around £25,000 would pocket £64 for a similar call.

But the point i was trying to make was this certain groups of workers tube being the obvious example seem to get very good deals due to their power,rightly or wrongly the police seem to do very well.

Wheras the soldiers that fight for the freedom of our country die for very little reward.

All over the public sector be it tube drivers or any other employee needs to have a proper structure which appears to be delivered by the power wielded and nothing else.

Derek 05-10-2011 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35310639)
Even a newly trained constable earning around £25,000 would pocket £64 for a similar call.

Except a newly trained constable would probably never get a similar call.

Anyway as has been mentioned before I reckon it's getting close to the tipping point where automated trains will be cheaper than continually caving in the demands of the union.

richard1960 05-10-2011 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35310644)
Except a newly trained constable would probably never get a similar call.

Anyway as has been mentioned before I reckon it's getting close to the tipping point where automated trains will be cheaper than continually caving in the demands of the union.

Yes i agree wih you on that point automated trains probably are the future on the tube at least, and yes i do think the union make too many demands at present would really have liked to see a no strike deal as in the old barbara castle plan years ago "in place of strife"which even in the late sixties aimed at no strike deals.

Hugh 05-10-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35310639)
In the article it stated even constables who had just joined could get these payments.

But the point i was trying to make was this certain groups of workers tube being the obvious example seem to get very good deals due to their power,rightly or wrongly the police seem to do very well.

Wheras the soldiers that fight for the freedom of our country die for very little reward.

All over the public sector be it tube drivers or any other employee needs to have a proper structure which appears to be delivered by the power wielded and nothing else.

could I point the Fail's article didn't state it had happened, but that it could.. ( which usually means it hasn't, otherwise they would have printed that).

They appear to be taking a hypothetical example to an extreme...:rolleyes:

Arthurgray50@blu 05-10-2011 21:13

I am in full support of any increase tube drivers get, do you know how much stress that they are under in the tunnels.

At any time someone can jump in front of you cab, a friend of mine works for British Rail or South West as they are called, he had two jumpers in the same week.

I would not do that job for £100.000 a week,.

martyh 05-10-2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35310815)
I am in full support of any increase tube drivers get, do you know how much stress that they are under in the tunnels.

At any time someone can jump in front of you cab, a friend of mine works for British Rail or South West as they are called, he had two jumpers in the same week.

that's why they do it for £55,000 ;)

seriously though Arthur ,as has been pointed out that logic can be applied to any kind of driving job .There are limits as to what a job is worth and imo a tube driver is not worth £55,000 p/a plus extras

Derek 05-10-2011 21:24

Quote:

Do you drive a car? Are you aware that someone can jump in front of your car at any point? :dozey:

I've scraped someone off the tracks when they decided to go for a sit down in front of a train and end it all. It wasn't pretty but I got on with it because it was part of my job and I sure as hell didn't moan about it and demand my pay got doubled.

martyh 05-10-2011 21:33

To be perfectly honest i don't think the argument that the drivers suffer if someone jumps onto the tracks will have crossed anyones minds during the negotiations .The members are just taking advantage of a union leader who is out to make a name for himself by blackmailing the city of london and he knows he can get away with it because should the tubes go on strike for any meaningful amount of time the city would grind to a halt under the sheer numbers that switch to cars or buses

Tim Deegan 05-10-2011 21:35

Quote:

How much would they need to pay you to recover body parts, or people mangled under trains then, like the emergency services do??

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35310839)
To be perfectly honest i don't think the argument that the drivers suffer if someone jumps onto the tracks will have crossed anyones minds during the negotiations .The members are just taking advantage of a union leader who is out to make a name for himself by blackmailing the city of london and he knows he can get away with it because should the tubes go on strike for any meaningful amount of time the city would grind to a halt under the sheer numbers that switch to cars or buses

It is probably more to do with the fact that the transport minister is terrified that the transport system could grind to a halt during the olympics. Shame they aren't also paying those that will have to deal with any incidents the same sort of money. They are just being told to do their job.

Pierre 06-10-2011 09:08

Good luck to them I say.

This is the free market at work. Although I dislike Bob Crow he's got them quite a deal.

LU are happy to pay it.

At the end of the day, you're worth whatever someones willing to pay you for your services.

Ignitionnet 06-10-2011 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35311014)
Good luck to them I say.

This is the free market at work. Although I dislike Bob Crow he's got them quite a deal.

LU are happy to pay it.

At the end of the day, you're worth whatever someones willing to pay you for your services.

Sorry Pierre but that's ridiculous, it's not even close to being the free market at work. In a free market these guys would've been fired and replaced by cheaper staff, of which there's no shortage who'd do the job for less.

As it is it's a pretty much closed shop, they've their nice benefits packages, cannot be made compulsorily redundant, in short all the most market distorting aspects of public sector employment.

Pierre 06-10-2011 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35311019)
Sorry Pierre but that's ridiculous, it's not even close to being the free market at work. In a free market these guys would've been fired and replaced by cheaper staff, of which there's no shortage who'd do the job for less.

And where would they have got all these replacement drivers from, and how quickly would they have recruited them, trained them and have them in place - all whilst still maintaining a service.

So the train drivers are leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves....and anyone on this forum would do any different for themselves????

It's collective bargining, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Quote:

As it is it's a pretty much closed shop, they've their nice benefits packages, cannot be made compulsorily redundant, in short all the most market distorting aspects of public sector employment.
Sounds like the police force.

Ignitionnet 06-10-2011 11:18

The police force can't strike Pierre.

Thank you for taking back what you said though - as you noted the train drivers are 'leveraging their position', absolutely nothing to do with the free market at all an entirely closed market no different from a monopoly supplier of goods ramping the price of them up the arse because they can.

I guess given you're fine with the tube drivers doing this you'd be fine with having monopoly suppliers of things other than labour leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves?

Didn't think so.

Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of their constant petulant strops, had the pleasure of trying to get to and from work when they are extorting London for more money or among the millions seeing their own salaries go up below inflation if at all, including workers far more skilled and in peril than tube drivers yet paid far less, while looking to 7-8% fare increases on LU you'd have a different opinion.

Pierre 06-10-2011 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35311094)
The police force can't strike Pierre.

Thank you for taking back what you said though - as you noted the train drivers are 'leveraging their position', absolutely nothing to do with the free market at all an entirely closed market no different from a monopoly supplier of goods ramping the price of them up the arse because they can.

I'm not taking anything back, LU are free to decline the pay demands.

Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure.

Quote:

I guess given you're fine with the tube drivers doing this you'd be fine with having monopoly suppliers of things other than labour leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves?
I don't have to worry about that, as there is a monopolies commission.

Quote:

Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of their constant petulant strops, had the pleasure of trying to get to and from work when they are extorting London for more money
Get the bus

Quote:

or among the millions seeing their own salaries go up below inflation if at all, including workers far more skilled and in peril than tube drivers yet paid far less, while looking to 7-8% fare increases on LU you'd have a different opinion.
If your jealous of their career, then apply to be tube driver.

That last paragraph could be applied to a dozen other professions I don't see the need to single out tube drivers

Ignitionnet 06-10-2011 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35311115)
I'm not taking anything back, LU are free to decline the pay demands.

Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure.

As previously noted it's a monopoly, not a free market position.

Quote:

I don't have to worry about that, as there is a monopolies commission.

Why would we want one? 'Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure' after all. Companies with monopolies overcharging is purely leveraging their position surely?

Quote:

Get the bus

Spoken like someone with no idea what they're talking about. Come down to London during a tube strike.

Quote:

If your jealous of their career, then apply to be tube driver.

I'm not, I wouldn't take the pay cut. I didn't realise you'd go to the childish 'If you're jealous' arguments so quickly though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:

That last paragraph could be applied to a dozen other professions I don't see the need to single out tube drivers

They are already hugely overpaid and work in a public sector that's seeing cuts, pension changes and pay freezes. That's the simple reason to single them out, they're getting special treatment which is entirely undeserved.

Pierre 06-10-2011 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35311208)
As previously noted it's a monopoly, not a free market position.

As I said the LU are free to refute their pay demands at any time.

Quote:

Why would we want one? 'Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure' after all. Companies with monopolies overcharging is purely leveraging their position surely?
Companies leverage their position all the time, how do you think Tesco got to be so successful, they leverage their position as the largest supermarket to screw their suppliers, and potential suppliers, into the ground.

Anyway we're talking about manpower and workforce.

Quote:

Spoken like someone with no idea what they're talking about. Come down to London during a tube strike.
I'm in London once a week, never during a tube strike though

doesn't that prove how vital they are though? They may not be highly skilled operatives but they keep the capital city moving.

Quote:

I'm not, I wouldn't take the pay cut. I didn't realise you'd go to the childish 'If you're jealous' arguments so quickly though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
I'm not being childish, just wondering why you object to this so much.

Quote:

They are already hugely overpaid
According to who?
Quote:

and work in a public sector that's seeing cuts, pension changes and pay freezes. That's the simple reason to single them out, they're getting special treatment which is entirely undeserved.
Unlike most other public sector positions they have a direct impact on the economy of the capital and to some extent the whole country - you could probably justify their money just on the maths of that.

If you're not happy with the current system you could always privatise the tube?

Tezcatlipoca 14-12-2011 14:56

Tube drivers to strike on Boxing Day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16174789

Quote:

Tube drivers will hold strikes on four days, including Boxing Day, in a row over pay, a drivers' union has said.

Aslef balloted its 2,200 members over demands for triple pay and a day off lieu for working on the bank holiday.

Staff will walk out for 24 hours on Boxing Day, 16 January, 3 and 13 February. Aslef said 92% voted to take industrial action.

London Underground (LU) said it had asked the union to abandon its strike threat over "an outrageous pay claim".

Services were severely disrupted last year when drivers walked out on Boxing Day after talks collapsed.

Taf 14-12-2011 15:31

Greedy sods.

Time for an complete extension of the driverless automatic Dockland Light Railway, and that shower on the dole.

tweetiepooh 14-12-2011 15:51

Maybe that's part of the "game". There is sympathy at the moment for strikers so to highlight groups who really don't need to strike splits some of that sympathy, makes the unions look bad.

Also it makes the workers more expensive so makes automated systems look more attractive. It also makes it harder for the workers to leave as they wouldn't get paid so well elsewhere. (It's expensive to hire and train replacements).

Arthurgray50@blu 14-12-2011 16:17

Here we go again, Have ago at someone who is trying to get decent agreements.

I for one WOULD NOT be a tube driver, no matter what they get paid, can you imagine sitting there for 8 hours, driving a tube train, and then bang someone jumps in front of you, train crashes etc.

What people don't realise, anything can happen in a tunnel, I know its a well paid job and l have done a few, but one thing for certain l would not be and that is driving trains.

Gary L 14-12-2011 16:22

I think we need to give them all £1000 each or something to come in and work Boxing Day. we need them so £1000 each is worth it.

Hugh 14-12-2011 16:53

What do you mean "we"?

Surely you mean "people in London"?

Getting back on topic, I don't know anyone who is paid quadruple time (3x normal rate and a time off in lieu) for working a Bank Holiday.

That's not negotiating, Arthur, that's blackmail.

Gary L 14-12-2011 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35345403)
What do you mean "we"?

Surely you mean "people in London"?

Yes, we.

nomadking 14-12-2011 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35345376)

I for one WOULD NOT be a tube driver, no matter what they get paid, can you imagine sitting there for 8 hours, driving a tube train, and then bang someone jumps in front of you, train crashes etc.

What people don't realise, anything can happen in a tunnel, I know its a well paid job and l have done a few, but one thing for certain l would not be and that is driving trains.

There is already an agreement in place.
Quote:

LU said Tube workers already "earn a premium" for working on Boxing Day.
A spokesman said an agreement in 1992 specified drivers would earn about £44,500, work a 35-hour week and have 43 days' leave.
As part of the agreement, tube drivers have to work some public holidays, including Boxing Day.
Quote:

"LU has a long-standing agreement with all of its trade unions which cover staff working arrangements on bank holidays, and Boxing Day is included in that agreement."

martyh 14-12-2011 17:34

Quote:

To start with Arthur the drivers don't sit there for 8 hrs and so what if someone does jump out in front of them ,sad i know ,but no different from any other driver .Many workers don't even get overtime rates anymore and haven't for years .All they are going to achieve is upsetting the public when they strike and pushing prices up so YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE .They are greedy blackmailers

Hugh 14-12-2011 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35345404)
Yes, we.

We don't live in London - well, I don't.

Gary L 14-12-2011 19:16

Well you're not the we then.

Stuart 14-12-2011 19:22

Quote:

You do realise that only a fraction of tube drivers actually have to deal with the problems you describe, yet they are paid considerably more than the paramedics who can be required to deal with horrors like that a lot more often? (http://www.prospects.ac.uk/paramedic_salary.htm)

Yes, the job is boring. Probably not that much more boring than driving a bus. A job that attracts an annual salary of £23,000 (http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Bus_Driver_366) . The average salary for a tube driver is going to be £52,000 soon.. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...pound-50000.do

What do they do that deserves that salary? Start and stop the train? Deal with stroppy passengers? Deal with injured passengers? Bus drivers do all that and more for half the salary. Do they work long hours? Depends if you call 35 hours a week long. I don't. I call it average.

Personally, as a commuter (although an infrequent user of the tube, I do pay towards it through my travelcard), I think the day when TFL upgrade the trains to driverless operation (similar to the DLR) cannot come soon enough.

Although the unions are being stupid in this. You can bet that while TFL are agreeing to pay these exhorbitant salaries, they are looking for ways to replace the drivers*. Drivers who wont get anywhere near their TFL salary in the private sector.

*You think they can't? The signalling system currently installed on the Jubilee line is apparently a variation on that used on the DLR, so is probably perfectly capable of operating without a driver safely. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to image that system being installed on other lines as well.

Derek 14-12-2011 19:28

Quote:

Decent agreements??? Holding the city to ransom more like, guaranteed they'll find a ludicrous excuse to ignore the 'no strike' arrangements just before the Olympics to try and get an even bigger payout.

As for being a tube driver? Damn right I would. Almost doubling my pay, not having to put my life on the line attending calls and pressing a button to go forwards and another to stop without having to worry about changing lanes or traffic merging.

Being a lorry or bus driver is far more taxing and dangerous that a train driver, people might end up under the wheels but that can happen with any form of transport.

Hugh 14-12-2011 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35345500)
Well you're not the we then.

Neither are you....

TheDaddy 14-12-2011 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35345434)
To start with Arthur the drivers don't sit there for 8 hrs and so what if someone does jump out in front of them ,sad i know ,but no different from any other driver .Many workers don't even get overtime rates anymore and haven't for years .All they are going to achieve is upsetting the public when they strike and pushing prices up so YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE .They are greedy blackmailers

So what? The average is four jumpers so quite different from any other driver and I'm one of those workers that doesn't get overtime for working over Christmas, doesn't mean I want others t&c's brought down to my level though.

Hugh 14-12-2011 19:53

tbf, TD, there's a big difference between not getting overtime (and I think people should) and getting quadruple time.

Maggy 14-12-2011 20:03

Quote:

For 55K I'd be a tube driver...It beats the average teacher's wage any day.:rolleyes:

martyh 14-12-2011 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35345529)
So what? The average is four jumpers so quite different from any other driver and I'm one of those workers that doesn't get overtime for working over Christmas, doesn't mean I want others t&c's brought down to my level though.

doesn't mean they should be exhorbitant either

Maggy 14-12-2011 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35345544)

And I don't see why they should get more than nurses,carers teachers,nursery workers,firemen,coastguards,servicemen and thousands of public sector workers

TheDaddy 14-12-2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35345544)

No it probably shouldn't be but there seems to a bit of an over reaction from all parts of the country about it and in particular how unfair it is that they have such a good deal, well my take on it is yes they do have very good t&c's but instead of dragging them down to most others levels lets try and improve everyone elses up to their level, the working time regulations kicking in next year should make for an interesting start.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35345535)
For 55K I'd be a tube driver...It beats the average teacher's wage any day.:rolleyes:

Except Saturday, Sunday and six weeks in the summer, then it's very comparable.

Maggy 14-12-2011 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35345548)
No it probably shouldn't be but there seems to a bit of an over reaction from all parts of the country about it and in particular how unfair it is that they have such a good deal, well my take on it is yes they do have very good t&c's but instead of dragging them down to most others levels lets try and improve everyone elses up to their level, the working time regulations kicking in next year should make for an interesting start.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I'd still do it.

Ignitionnet 14-12-2011 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35345548)

Shows how much you know about the hours teachers work to be honest.

Yes they get that time off in the middle of the year and the other holidays, they don't get 43 days paid leave to take whenever as a tube drive does and certainly the teachers I know have to work weekends in order to get lessons planned and do their marking and admin. They don't have the luxury of working for 35 hours a week and disappearing off home, they work closer to twice that during term time.

Taking a teacher and tube driver and trying to claim they're comparable is farcical. One is underpaid for what is a post-graduate position, poorly treated and has an immensely stressful job, the other massively overpaid for what is at most semi-skilled labour, protected from most of the same issues the rest of us have to deal with as they can hold their employer at ransom, and have conditions of employment well beyond anything most can hope for.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35345529)

Talking to a driver on First Great Western who's had a few one unders he got nicely desensitised to them, and moreover had no problems at all after the first one. He found the first one somewhat traumatic though not for very long, the next one he enjoyed the months of paid time off for something he was relatively indifferent to.

Maggy 14-12-2011 22:24

There are also the matter of after school activities like staff meetings, sports,plays,parents evenings and in the case of secondary teachers, extra coaching classes for GCSE students sometimes before school,sometimes afterwards,sometimes at weekends.Also many staff give up some holidays to take students on field trips.

martyh 14-12-2011 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35345633)
There are also the matter of after school activities like staff meetings, sports,plays,parents evenings and in the case of secondary teachers, extra coaching classes for GCSE students sometimes before school,sometimes afterwards,sometimes at weekends.Also many staff give up some holidays to take students on field trips.

I would also add that during the school holidays (summer ,easter ,half terms ) i work in a lot of schools putting new windows/doors in as that is the most convenient and practible time and it has to said that there are always teachers and other school staff floating about preparing classrooms/lessons ect

TheDaddy 15-12-2011 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35345624)
Shows how much you know about the hours teachers work to be honest.

Yeah teacher training was wasted on me :rolleyes:

Quote:

Talking to a driver on First Great Western who's had a few one unders he got nicely desensitised to them, and moreover had no problems at all after the first one. He found the first one somewhat traumatic though not for very long, the next one he enjoyed the months of paid time off for something he was relatively indifferent to
Lucky him, perhaps if he had to clean to goo of the train he might not be so blase about it next time.

Chrysalis 15-12-2011 11:05

I support them on the basis inflation is rampant.

Hugh 15-12-2011 11:12

4.8% rampant?

Try 16%, as in the 80s....

Osem 15-12-2011 12:11

I reckon bus drivers get a much worse deal than their underground equivalents. There's not much separating them from all the fare dodgers and generally nasty types they come face to face with on a daily basis and I reckon driving around London on congested roads getting shouted at, beeped at and worse is generally lot more stressful than driving a tube rain.

Ignitionnet 15-12-2011 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35345666)
Yeah teacher training was wasted on me :rolleyes:

Lucky him, perhaps if he had to clean to goo of the train he might not be so blase about it next time.

Evidently it was wasted on you, or left you quite bitter towards the profession if you equate a 3 year degree, a year PGCE, basically no paid leave as it has to be in school holidays and working 70 hours a week in term times with saying 'Mind the doors' and pushing a lever backwards and forwards for 35 hours a week, with 43 days of paid leave per year after a matter of weeks of training.

Oddly enough drivers don't clean their own trains. They drive them.

Regardless it doesn't change that this is nonsense. There's an agreement from 1996 which bakes into it the working of public holidays as part of the currently £45,545 basic, plus overtime, plus 43 days paid leave per year on a 35 hour working week.

Agreements are there for a reason, the unions try their luck every so often, this is obviously one of the more absurd examples trying to obtain a day off in lieu and triple time for a standard bank holiday which is already covered by existing compensation arrangements.

EDIT: Just to add to the hilarity the unions agreed in return for their ransom demands over the Olympics giving them the huge pay rises and bonus to not strike over pay, so this is a dispute about time off. Ya.

Alan Fry 15-12-2011 12:53

In my opinon, this proves that strong unions work, The only reason that Tube Drivers are getting £55k is that they have strong unions. If more employees had strong unions, they we would have less occupy protests and less people feeling less well off

Hugh 15-12-2011 12:54

erm, how do you think the more people on £55k would get paid - from the magic money tree?

Alan Fry 15-12-2011 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35345812)
erm, how do you think the more people on £55k would get paid - from the magic money tree?

From the business elite, what would happen if more people were paid £55k would be that there would be a redistbution of wealth from the elite to average workers, creating a more equal society

Chris 15-12-2011 13:14

While I agree the self-serving system of non-executive directors awarding their mates ludicrous pay levels has got to be brought under control, I'm not sure there's nearly enough money swilling around that system to fund such generous pay rises for all people whose jobs are as skilled as a tube driver, but not nearly so well paid.

Alan Fry 15-12-2011 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35345832)
While I agree the self-serving system of non-executive directors awarding their mates ludicrous pay levels has got to be brought under control, I'm not sure there's nearly enough money swilling around that system to fund such generous pay rises for all people whose jobs are as skilled as a tube driver, but not nearly so well paid.

Your right, maybe there is not enough money for big pay rises for all, but at the very least, can the pay gap between boss and employee be reduced, for example incresing the number of Employee-owned companies, like John Lewis

TheDaddy 15-12-2011 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35345803)
Evidently it was wasted on you, or left you quite bitter towards the profession if you equate a 3 year degree, a year PGCE, basically no paid leave as it has to be in school holidays and working 70 hours a week in term times with saying 'Mind the doors' and pushing a lever backwards and forwards for 35 hours a week, with 43 days of paid leave per year after a matter of weeks of training.

Evidently it wasn't as it was origionally a tounge in cheek comment to Maggy's post or does your "humour" only stretch to religious debates.

Quote:

Oddly enough drivers don't clean their own trains. They drive them
If only some one told them that as I know 2 that helped get the worst of "it" of.

Chrysalis 15-12-2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35345762)
4.8% rampant?

Try 16%, as in the 80s....

rule of thumb real inflation at least double official inflation.

4.8% is high in itself, actual inflation which is easily double figures is rampant.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35345812)

hugh you seem very out of touch.

from the elite top 1%.

Chris 15-12-2011 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35345872)

4.8% is high in itself, actual inflation which is easily double figures is rampant.

Sorry, you're not getting away with that. I hereby call your BS. Prove me wrong by providing sources to prove your statement (and this time can we please bypass the part where you insist the rest of us have to go and look for sources to prove it for you. It's your argument, if you want anyone to believe it, offer evidence to back it up).

martyh 15-12-2011 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35345810)
In my opinon, this proves that strong unions work, The only reason that Tube Drivers are getting £55k is that they have strong unions. If more employees had strong unions, they we would have less occupy protests and less people feeling less well off

What you going to say in 12-24 months time if the LU decide that the drivers wages are unsustainable and decide to automate the trains (which is very possible)putting all the drivers out of a job ...how strong will the union be then .If you look back over union history ,all have failed to keep members jobs if a alternative is available to the management .What makes you think this will be any different .In my opinion the tube drivers will eventually price themselves out of a job

Osem 15-12-2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35345883)
Sorry, you're not getting away with that. I hereby call your BS. Prove me wrong by providing sources to prove your statement (and this time can we please bypass the part where you insist the rest of us have to go and look for sources to prove it for you. It's your argument, if you want anyone to believe it, offer evidence to back it up).

I'm still waiting for his 'proof' that "Germany seems to manage ok without financial institutes", so don't hold your breath will you.. :)

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35345959)
What you going to say in 12-24 months time if the LU decide that the drivers wages are unsustainable and decide to automate the trains (which is very possible)putting all the drivers out of a job...

It's all Thatcher's fault?? :D

martyh 15-12-2011 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35345984)

It's all Thatcher's fault?? :D

A classic example of "strong unions" pricing their members out of work and getting slapped back into reality

Hugh 15-12-2011 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35345872)

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

hugh you seem very out of touch.

from the elite top 1%.

So try living through 32% inflation (according to your "rule of thumb"...;)).

From an out of touch viewpoint, I calculated that the average salary is £24k, so it is proposed that we pay 99% of the population an extra £31k (on average). According to the latest stats, there are 29.11 million people in work, so we would need to find an extra £893 billion to pay the "99%" an average salary of £55k, like the Tube drivers, with a total wage bill for the "99%" of £1,601 billion.

(the forecast GDP for the UK in 2011 is £1,562 billion).

Osem 15-12-2011 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35346029)
So try living through 32% inflation (according to your "rule of thumb"...;)).

From an out of touch viewpoint, I calculated that the average salary is £24k, so it is proposed that we pay 99% of the population an extra £31k (on average). According to the latest stats, there are 29.11 million people in work, so we would need to find an extra £893 billion to pay the "99%" an average salary of £55k, like the Tube drivers, with a total wage bill for the "99%" of £1,601 billion.

(the forecast GDP for the UK in 2011 is £1,562 billion).

It's only numbers though Hugh and we can simply take that money off the top 1% we hear so much about. I mean they'll certainly hang around in the good old UK and pay all those extra taxes just to make them feel better about life won't they..... :rolleyes:

Chrysalis 15-12-2011 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35345883)

Its not hard at all.

food up by huge amounts this year alone, food I regurly buy has gone up about 30% and even managed to go up during a supposed promotion.

electric/gas up by huge amounts.

The official inflation figures get smothered down by luxury items which dont really come into basic living costs. Also if you checked into it you would find out the games played with swapping items around that are listed to get lower reported figures.

Do you honestly think inflation was running at 2% during the 200x period and is now only 4.8% now?

Maybe you well off that you dont notice these things. I dont know.

You believe everything you told by the bbc and government?

Hugh 15-12-2011 22:43

Wow!

Amazing how you have been allowed to say this, as it has obviously been suppressed in mainstream media, especially papers like the Daily Mirror who would normally use this type of information to embarrass the Coalition Government.

btw, you never explained how we were going to pay everyone £55k salaries, when the annual wage bill came to more than the UK's GDP......

Ignitionnet 15-12-2011 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35346262)
Wow!

Amazing how you have been allowed to say this, as it has obviously been suppressed in mainstream media, especially papers like the Daily Mirror who would normally use this type of information to embarrass the Coalition Government.

btw, you never explained how we were going to pay everyone £55k salaries, when the annual wage bill came to more than the UK's GDP......

Nationalise everything and charge everyone 110% tax rates.

Chris 15-12-2011 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35346186)
Its not hard at all.

Good. In that case I look forward to you providing the evidence, as opposed to anecdote and hearsay.

Quote:

You believe everything you told by the bbc and government?
That depends. But broadly, if it's a choice between properly-researched journalism and the ONS on one hand, and your soapbox on the other, let's jut say I wouldn't consider taking your word over theirs to be the optimum choice.

Osem 16-12-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35345791)
I reckon bus drivers get a much worse deal than their underground equivalents. There's not much separating them from all the fare dodgers and generally nasty types they come face to face with on a daily basis and I reckon driving around London on congested roads getting shouted at, beeped at and worse is generally lot more stressful than driving a tube rain.

and, as if by magic......

Quote:

London bus workers 'could strike' for Olympics pay
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16202653

Quote:

Bus workers in London have said they want a £500 payment for being on duty during next year's Olympic Games.

Trade union, Unite, has written to bus operators on behalf of up to 28,000 employees raising the threat of industrial action if a deal is not agreed.
Should have 'kept my mouth shut' eh? :)

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35346270)

Nah 110% is nowhere near enough for all those fat cats... :D

Maggy 16-12-2011 12:24

Well if the bosses are prepared to pay such silly money up until now then maybe they should be removed from running the transport of London?:shrug:

Alan Fry 16-12-2011 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35345959)
What you going to say in 12-24 months time if the LU decide that the drivers wages are unsustainable and decide to automate the trains (which is very possible)putting all the drivers out of a job ...how strong will the union be then .If you look back over union history ,all have failed to keep members jobs if a alternative is available to the management .What makes you think this will be any different .In my opinion the tube drivers will eventually price themselves out of a job

What will replace tube drivers then?

Ignitionnet 16-12-2011 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35346749)
What will replace tube drivers then?

The automated systems that drive trains on 3 of the lines already. Drivers just open and close the doors.

Alan Fry 17-12-2011 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35346767)
The automated systems that drive trains on 3 of the lines already. Drivers just open and close the doors.

You still need someone inside the train, like in the DLR, and if they go on strike then the train cannot run, we will have the same stuation as we have now

martyh 17-12-2011 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35346880)
You still need someone inside the train, like in the DLR, and if they go on strike then the train cannot run, we will have the same stuation as we have now

No we won't because they won't be on 55k a year for unskilled work

Osem 17-12-2011 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35346933)
Google up "driverless metro" there are any number of them running now and there are NO staff of any kind on the actual trains. Singapore one there is just one guy and a computer system running the entire show including the doors.

Mind you I would like to see his pay packet.:D

There are very few people who are irreplacable if they become too expensive to employ.

Too expensive and all too willing to hold those who pay their wages (i.e. the travelling public) to ransom whenever it suits.

Will21st 17-12-2011 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35346270)

It's the only way forward.... ;)

Hugh 17-12-2011 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35346987)
It's the only way forward.... ;)

But wouldn't people then strike to get a pay rise, to pay the tax they couldn't afford?

richard1960 17-12-2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35346443)
Well if the bosses are prepared to pay such silly money up until now then maybe they should be removed from running the transport of London?:shrug:

Fair point,But another point i have not seen mentioned although it may have been is before he won the election and came to power in London Boris Johnson was touting a no strike agreement he was going to get from the tube unions,will be interesting to see if Boris brings that up in next years mayoral election like last time.

The tube unions appear to be getting very good rises over the next few years and not a single "no strike" agreement in site.:shocked:

Alan Fry 19-12-2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35346885)
No we won't because they won't be on 55k a year for unskilled work

With strong unions liek the RMT and ASLEF i doubt that

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35346933)
Google up "driverless metro" there are any number of them running now and there are NO staff of any kind on the actual trains. Singapore one there is just one guy and a computer system running the entire show including the doors.

Mind you I would like to see his pay packet.:D

There are very few people who are irreplacable if they become too expensive to employ.

under UK law you need one person on the train, in the first place!

Will21st 19-12-2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35347068)
But wouldn't people then strike to get a pay rise, to pay the tax they couldn't afford?

Exactly! :) (You know I was kiddin',don't you?

martyh 19-12-2011 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35347961)
With strong unions liek the RMT and ASLEF i doubt that

!

Quote:

Driverless Tube trains could be running in a trial by 2015 - three years sooner than expected, confidential London Underground documents reveal today.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-four-years.do

Quote:

It reveals bosses are considering trains that are fully automatic and staffed by an attendant instead of a driver under the biggest overhaul ever of the Tube.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-loss-fears.do

Whatever Bob Crow thinks there will be driverless trains on the LU before much longer and the more he pushes for out of proportion pay rises the faster it will happen

Chrysalis 19-12-2011 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35346298)
Good. In that case I look forward to you providing the evidence, as opposed to anecdote and hearsay.

That depends. But broadly, if it's a choice between properly-researched journalism and the ONS on one hand, and your soapbox on the other, let's jut say I wouldn't consider taking your word over theirs to be the optimum choice.

I posted the evidence, in my every day living costs.

Its enough for me. If you dont want to believe it then I leave it at that.

Chris 19-12-2011 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35348112)

Your personal living costs are, for the purposes of any meaningful debate, unsubstantiated and not open to scrutiny. They don't qualify as evidence in any meaningful sense and therefore I take the perfectly justifiable option of ignoring them.

You hang around Internet forums enough to know what qualifies as evidence in any public debate. If you choose not to back up your contributions with such evidence you can't be surprised if those contributions are dismissed or simply ignored.

Chrysalis 19-12-2011 18:52

I know enough on this forum yes.

to you if someone posts the bbcs or any other media outlet point of view that qualifies as fact.

Hugh 19-12-2011 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35348112)

Your evidence was
Quote:

food up by huge amounts this year alone, food I regurly buy has gone up about 30% and even managed to go up during a supposed promotion.

electric/gas up by huge amounts.

Strange - the food we regularly buy hasn't gone up by that sort of figure (and we are shopping for a family of 3-4 (depending on the time of the year), and we shop at Morrisons every week) - our weekly bill has probably gone up from around £85 per week to about £90 per week in the last year.

And as for electricity and gas bills, ours has gone up around 15%, but we now have the rate fixed for two years, so that will even out over the years.

Somehow, our evidence seems to contradict each others (in parts) - perhaps that's why CPI is taken from a basket of around 600 items, so that outliers don't skew the figures....

Stuart 19-12-2011 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35348128)
I know enough on this forum yes.

to you if someone posts the bbcs or any other media outlet point of view that qualifies as fact.

The difference being that while they do have a reputation for being left wing, the BBC do have a reputation for researching their news stories well. You, with all due respect, can make no such claim. Neither can I. We don't know each other well enough to know how little or much research the other does.

Chrysalis 19-12-2011 19:30

Where is that reputation from stuart.

You seem to have a misguided view on the bbc, several of their stories have little research and are based on a single person's views only.

beeman 22-12-2011 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35347961)
under UK law you need one person on the train, in the first place!

Laws can bee changed, especially if such a change can save UKGOV/TFL LOTS of money ;)

denphone 26-12-2011 09:32

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16330372

Quote:

Travellers on London's Underground network face disruption as drivers belonging to the union Aslef stage a 24-hour strike.
Quote:

The strike is expected to affect shoppers heading for the Boxing Day sales and football fans.
Quote:

Transport for London has warned of "severe disruption" and urged travellers to check its website before starting their journeys.
Not the type of transport chaos you want on your Boxing Day trip is it.:(

Arthurgray50@blu 26-12-2011 10:34

This might cause problems, but l am in agreement with the tube strike, They are working a bank holiday and therefore entitled to what ever payment there should be.

This does cause disruption to passengers, but LU are at fault for not talking to them, and don't forget when LU put prices up for travel, does anyone complain.

This is what annoys me, businesses put prices up but my wages have been frozen for two years.

Maggy 26-12-2011 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35350898)
This might cause problems, but l am in agreement with the tube strike, They are working a bank holiday and therefore entitled to what ever payment there should be.

This does cause disruption to passengers, but LU are at fault for not talking to them, and don't forget when LU put prices up for travel, does anyone complain.

This is what annoys me, businesses put prices up but my wages have been frozen for two years.

Total Rubbish and BS..They couldn't get the day off legitimately so they went on strike to get it.

I'm fed up with the gravy train that is public holidays.Because Christmas was on a Sunday many people in the public service get Tuesday off as a holiday as well which means public services are closed that day as well.The rest of the world just has to suck it up and work public holidays.

martyh 26-12-2011 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35350898)

They already get substantial extra pay for working bank holidays .Many private sector workers do no even get any extra pay or days of in lue for working bank holidays

Russ 26-12-2011 11:12

Triple pay and a day off in lieu is a total urine-extraction. Replace the strikers with people who would be willing to do the job for a more reasonable rate. No sympathy from me.

richard1960 26-12-2011 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35350902)
Total Rubbish and BS..They couldn't get the day off legitimately so they went on strike to get it.

I'm fed up with the gravy train that is public holidays.Because Christmas was on a Sunday many people in the public service get Tuesday off as a holiday as well which means public services are closed that day as well.The rest of the world just has to suck it up and work public holidays.

Many but not all i am working or did work on christmas day,boxing day,new years eve,and new years day,as well as yes that Tuesday as well,!and i work in the public services the branch i work in the NHS, the public service has still been open 24/7 ie they have not been closed.;)

Mind you i do not suppose many teachers work bank holidays ,or council office staff so no sucking up and working for them sorts of public service employees.

However i think the tube drivers have a point not about the money however but about the day off,we are now a 24/7 kind of society wether we like it or not (nobody asked me if i would like a 27/7 culture),i do think wherever possible people should be given the option to work or not,but triple pay is a no,no.