Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628129)

rob f 05-02-2008 13:51

I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

Hi People, I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy, has anybody on the site done the interview or work for virgin media, just looking for a heads up.

Cheers rob

tweetiepooh 05-02-2008 14:04

Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy,

Think about what you'd like an installer to be like with you as the customer. Can you be like that? Let the interviewer know.

tweetypie/8 05-02-2008 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 34483524)
Think about what you'd like an installer to be like with you as the customer. Can you be like that? Let the interviewer know.

its the old old saying, its nice to be nice.;)

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob f (Post 34483513)
Hi People, I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy, has anybody on the site done the interview or work for virgin media, just looking for a heads up.

Cheers rob

welcome to the forum rob :welcome: and good luck with the job.;)

WHISTLED 05-02-2008 19:32

Complain about working conditions as soon as you step through the door... You should fit right in!

Just joking, ive interviewed hundreds of people for jobs at VM but not for that kind of job.

General rules for most interview answers should follow a story format

I did this..
In this way..
Because...
This was the result...
This is how i felt about the result...
This is what I would do differently...

piggy 05-02-2008 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHISTLED (Post 34483738)
Complain about working conditions as soon as you step through the door... You should fit right in!

Just joking, ive interviewed hundreds of people for jobs at VM but not for that kind of job.

General rules for most interview answers should follow a story format

I did this..
In this way..
Because...
This was the result...
This is how i felt about the result...
This is what I would do differently...

or in other words, smoke and mirrors and avoid the truth!!

WHISTLED 05-02-2008 19:51

Quote:

or in other words, smoke and mirrors and avoid the truth!!
No? Just a a structured answer/response which gives the interviewer all the information they want without much probing. Cuts down on rambling too.

Quam256 09-02-2008 18:06

Were are they taking on installers ?.Is this contact or direct .
Not looking for a job just interested.

rob f 14-02-2008 09:46

its a sub contracter

i passed waiting on start date

lostandconfused 14-02-2008 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob f (Post 34489019)
its a sub contracter

congratulations

Mathias 26-02-2008 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob f (Post 34489019)
its a sub contracter

How does being a sub contractor work then??? Heard some SCARY stories about practices regarding expenses and the like... :( Will it be with KELLY'S or MAP?

rob f 27-02-2008 07:57

what you mean ?

:(

dompsta 03-03-2008 18:11

hi there, i work for kellys at the mo as an installer for vm. i work really hard (6 days a week and between 10-12 hours a day) ive been doing this job for 2 years now and i love it. the pay is good if u do your job properly and dont cut corners like a lot of cowboys do. i work as a 2 man crew so have the harder side of the job (pulling in cables and doing full installs etc). have earned a few bonuses recently because of the quality of our work. all i say is, if u got an opportunity ot do this job, then have a crack at it!!!! :)

SOSAGES 04-03-2008 16:52

does a few "bonuses mean" fixing people up with free cable or selling virgin gear off the back of your van? :)

dompsta 04-03-2008 18:01

nah not like that mate. we do our job properly and completely to virgin media specification. i know that ntl installers gave our job a really bad reputation and we are trying hard to put that right in our area and give customers faith in virgin media again. with bonuses i mean we get monthly cash sums from the boses high up if we get 0% complaints, 0% faults and we pass all QC's on our work etc etc. our site (bournemouth, poole and christchurch) is one of the top sites in the uk now and hopefully the rest of the country will take suit :)

rob f 04-03-2008 18:37

dompsta thanks for replying.

good to hear from somebody who does the job already. my start date is soon,

have your heard anything about map electrics good or bad.

what do you do on a normal day. like how many jobs.

cheers

rob

dompsta 05-03-2008 18:51

hey rob :)

we usually get about 6-7 full installs a day. these can include repulls ( replacing customers damaged or old and perished external drop cables)

most of the other jobs involve installing tv, tv + telephone or tv telephone and broadband into various rooms in the customers house. some jobs are easier than others depending on what external work through the garden needs doing. so basically get a cable from the access point in the street to the house, putting on a service box and running cables from service box to where sevices needed on the property.

some people have concrete or tarmac drives which we have to disc cut through to get the cable to the property and re cement or tarmac after.

never heard of map before but i work for kelly's who are ok.

ill give u a little tip, when u do start, if they ask u if u want to work for a pay agency, say no and u want to work on P.A.Y.E (pay as u earn) which means ull actually be employed by the company and not an agency

hope this helps :)

londontech 06-03-2008 17:30

Hi. Im also a tech for kellys- have been for year and a half, and i do a mix of 1 man and 2 man crew jobs by myself in the london area. I also complete work to spec and QC auditors are constantly checking your work. I work long days, and the work can be tough so you gotta be prepared to work hard and to strict deadlines. The money can be good, and i enjoy the job and you can sometimes do a 6/7 hour day and earn £90/100 but you could work a 14hr day and earn £30... it depends on construction problems/ people not being in etc. however, 9 times out of 10 your wages arent calculated properly anyway and it can be a real slog to try and re-gain what your owed. Just keep an eye on them and you should be fine. if you get past the first three months you'll be ok. :)

dompsta 06-03-2008 20:12

what site do u work at mate? do u work at the reading site?

TWtech 06-03-2008 21:07

Hey rob ive been in the job since the united artists days and have always loved the job,almost 14 years, that says a lot. I work alongside great guys from all franchises and yeah we all moan a lot, but we all love our jobs. We are worked every day to our limit on a non stop , no lunch break limit, but the ones in power put their hands over their eyes to that fact and never acknowledge our efforts, shame they dont appreciate they employ the best guys out there :-(

rob f 07-03-2008 20:08

thanks you for all your help and advice guys, i am going to be based in scotland,

i have working i an office for the last 4 years so i am looking forward to the chance and hard work.

fingers crossed all shall be ok,

:):)

moaningmags 08-03-2008 00:11

Oooh I hope you're not going to Edinburgh. They're having massive problems.
Then again, maybe you're the man to fix them. :-)

rob f 08-03-2008 10:07

Na i am going to Glasgow,

what you mean massive problems ?

Foo Fighter 08-03-2008 10:39

what sort of salary are installers pulling? do you get private use of the van too?

moaningmags 08-03-2008 14:45

Lots of connection issues, loss of service, degraded service etc.

sollp 13-03-2008 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dompsta (Post 34500150)
nah not like that mate. we do our job properly and completely to virgin media specification. i know that ntl installers gave our job a really bad reputation and we are trying hard to put that right in our area and give customers faith in virgin media again. with bonuses i mean we get monthly cash sums from the boses high up if we get 0% complaints, 0% faults and we pass all QC's on our work etc etc. our site (bournemouth, poole and christchurch) is one of the top sites in the uk now and hopefully the rest of the country will take suit :)

Well it's nice for once to see that attitude from an installer, if only most were the same.

londontech 15-03-2008 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dompsta (Post 34501785)
what site do u work at mate? do u work at the reading site?

im at a south london site- and we are worked to the bone- with no thanks. However the money can be good so dont loose faith!

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo Fighter (Post 34502747)
what sort of salary are installers pulling? do you get private use of the van too?

NO salary mate... only price work. You can expect £30 on a crap day and up to £130 on a good day- its swings and roundabouts... but YOU ARE NOT GARRENTEED ANY WAGES AT ALL. If no jbs go in- you get no money!

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dompsta (Post 34500806)
hey rob :)

we usually get about 6-7 full installs a day. these can include repulls ( replacing customers damaged or old and perished external drop cables)

most of the other jobs involve installing tv, tv + telephone or tv telephone and broadband into various rooms in the customers house. some jobs are easier than others depending on what external work through the garden needs doing. so basically get a cable from the access point in the street to the house, putting on a service box and running cables from service box to where sevices needed on the property.

some people have concrete or tarmac drives which we have to disc cut through to get the cable to the property and re cement or tarmac after.

never heard of map before but i work for kelly's who are ok.

ill give u a little tip, when u do start, if they ask u if u want to work for a pay agency, say no and u want to work on P.A.Y.E (pay as u earn) which means ull actually be employed by the company and not an agency

hope this helps :)

You'll be lucky to get on PAYE... CBS - (cable business solutions) will employ you and pay your wages...

dompsta 18-03-2008 22:08

yeah, im on cbs and we're in the process of getting the GMB (our union) involved to get us put back onto our PAYE contracts as we were bullied into signing over to cbs. take it from me, if u get the job and u here that cbs will be paying ur wages, then tell them thanks but no thanks :)

rob f 20-03-2008 16:49

the company i work for now pays us a per day, so in a way it a salary we get.

cheers

:)

elsharpo 17-12-2009 21:20

hi all,

i am an x sky engineer and would very much like to work for virgin installing.

Please can you give me details on who to contact to apply for a position in the hertfordshire area. (St Albans) as i cannot find anything on the website.

would much appeciate it. cheers. :)

Ben B 17-12-2009 21:42

Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

http://careers.virginmedia.com/opportunities/index.html

Arthurgray50@blu 17-12-2009 22:00

It might be great working for good company, BUT if you are working without a lunchbreak, and the company know about it, firstly YOU are breaking the law and so is your company, and they will also take the **** out of you and give you more work.

I used to work for a guy, who would work 18/19 hour day and expect you to do the same, but IF you had a day off, he would do his nut. so if you have an accident, you can't claim a penny.

georgepomone 17-12-2009 22:11

I hope you are treated better than I was. I had the telephone interview and they said I was OK on that. I then had to go to Bishops Stortford to meet the guy in charge there. I live in Ipswich and the job was in Ipswich run from the Bishops Stortford Depot.
I went in and was told to wait.I did wait for two hours and was then told it was cancelled. I went back home and rang to find out what has happened. They told me they would contact me within a week. I made two more calls to them without an answer and finally gave up. It was a real bad experience. That was two years ago.
George.

Arthurgray50@blu 17-12-2009 22:43

l had an interview while working with them in Isleworth, l went out with them for one day, and was being checked with a supervisor, l kept on asking how much, how long and all he said to me, l will let you know if you have the job later.

When five o'clock came, l asked him what time we finish he said later, 8-00 came and he took me to one side, and said l was being offered a contract, and l had to call him at 10am the following morning, l called him and he told me, the company was being taken over and the contract would not be offered, and that l wasn't being paid, l asked why, and he told me to phone there office, which l did, and they knew nothing of me going on the interview. l was so angry.

rob f 18-12-2009 08:25

http://www.mapgroupuk.com/careers.html

you can also try

good luck ;)

londontech 18-12-2009 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsharpo (Post 34929264)
hi all,

i am an x sky engineer and would very much like to work for virgin installing.

Please can you give me details on who to contact to apply for a position in the hertfordshire area. (St Albans) as i cannot find anything on the website.

would much appeciate it. cheers. :)

i wouldnt bother mate - **** job, 12 hour days - jobs have to go in at no cost. Ive worked for 2 different contractors and both are the same. they'll promise big things but they wont deliver. if you like long days, no appreciation for hard work, and **** money - go for it!! i would stear clear at all costs.

Dukefever 21-12-2009 18:13

Hello there,

I am keen to explore the possibility of working for Virgin as either an installation engineer or field technician. I have experience in the electronic sector as an electrical engineer. After looking on their website I see there was a job available that fits my criteria however I am now stuck for applying as the electronic form says that I have withdrawn and I am unable to re-apply. Can anybody help or advise of someone I could speak with at Virgin regarding recruitment? I cannot find a suitable number of their website.

Is there anyone that works for Virgin that can assist?

Many Thanks in advance

Duke

Besty4290 05-01-2010 13:36

I've got a phone interview with them on Thursday, so (judging by this thread) I won't actually be employed by Virgin and it'll be a sub-contractor?

Either way, I'd still like to go for it I suppose. Do you know what questions they'll ask on the phone interview? They say it'll last roughly 20 minutes. And if I pass this part, will there be another interview after?

Cheers for the help lads.

Dukefever 05-01-2010 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Besty4290 (Post 34939226)
I've got a phone interview with them on Thursday, so (judging by this thread) I won't actually be employed by Virgin and it'll be a sub-contractor?

Either way, I'd still like to go for it I suppose. Do you know what questions they'll ask on the phone interview? They say it'll last roughly 20 minutes. And if I pass this part, will there be another interview after?

Cheers for the help lads.

If you applied via Virgin media website then you will be employed by Virgin media. I am still none the wiser regarding questions for the phone interview. Someone must be able to offer advice though somewhere? How did you find out about your phone interview? I applied 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything yet.

Duke

Besty4290 05-01-2010 14:38

Yeah, I applied through the Virgin site. I sent it in on Saturday and got the reply yesterday morning. They rang me, asked me a few questions about what Virgin offer, health and safety when using equipment, then told me I had a phone interview on Thursday.

Hope someone can offer some help with the questions, just wondering what they're gonna ask tbh.

georgepomone 05-01-2010 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukefever (Post 34939248)
If you applied via Virgin media website then you will be employed by Virgin media. I am still none the wiser regarding questions for the phone interview. Someone must be able to offer advice though somewhere? How did you find out about your phone interview? I applied 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything yet.

Duke

Hi Dukefever,
it's like most phone interviews split into sections they give you time between each section and ask questions on your reaction to customer questions etc. They are not the same questions all the time. I didn't find it taxing as they give you time to think of your answers. I found it fair. It's what happens next that upset me. I made a jouney to be fobbed off with an excuse that the interview had been cancelled. After nearly a month of trying to get an explanation I gave up on them.
I hope you get a better reception.
George.;)

Dukefever 05-01-2010 16:03

I am sorry to hear of that. Thank you for taking the time to post though.

Duke

Dukefever 07-01-2010 23:03

@ Besty4290

How did your phone interview go?

Hope it went well.

Duke

Seleroman 08-01-2010 10:41

2nd interview on the phone lasts about 20 mins and they just ask you questions about your past work experience..just be your self reall.the ask how you would solve this and how you would deal with awkard customers etc..also if this happened what would you do!!!...its not hard just be honest and friendly and be a bit outgoing..they like that at virgin cos most people i know there are nutters anyway...good luck i got thru the 2nd one and have an open day coming up in swindon...be nice to know what happens there tho????

Waldo Pepper 08-01-2010 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Besty4290 (Post 34939282)
Yeah, I applied through the Virgin site. I sent it in on Saturday and got the reply yesterday morning. They rang me, asked me a few questions about what Virgin offer, health and safety when using equipment, then told me I had a phone interview on Thursday.

Hope someone can offer some help with the questions, just wondering what they're gonna ask tbh.

I regularly do phone interviews. It can be quite hard. Just think on your feet.
From an Electronics Engineering point of view, I ask them to draw an aerial at one side of the paper and a loudspeaker at the other side. It's an FM car radio, fill in the bits in between.

If I was a VM installer, I would ask similar. I would expect you to know how a modem works and the difference between a router and network switch.

What's an IP address etc...

carrotman 09-01-2010 17:09

I've just had the phone interview on thursday, it went ok they asked me about when i have gave good customer service, what i would do when attending a job stuff like that. had my interview a 1pm, they rang me back a 3pm the same day saying i had been sucessful. Now just have the assement to do.
I get the feeling if you fail any of the tasks at the assement then you go home straight away. Anyone have the same opinion?

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Is there anyone who knows anybody who works as a VM media technician directly?
I've read loads of bad reports about working for the contractors

Seleroman 09-01-2010 17:59

Hi
don't think u go home. Unless ur really thick!!! Cos it says in the email about the assessment day that u will have to be there all day even if cannot do all the tasks. But!! Would be nice for someone who's been to enlighten us!

niallharper 09-01-2010 19:04

Hi guys
New here!
Ive just applied for a apprenticeship with virgin media. Hoping i should be getting the call in the next few days. I am also curious as to the recruitment process. Ive heard that the 'interview day' is quite a fun day but thats all i know!

Many thanks
Niall

Dukefever 12-01-2010 20:53

Hi all, Just a little update. I had my 1st phone interview today and passed. I am told that I will now under go a 2nd phone interview that will last about 30mins and should I be successful I will be invited to an open day.

I am feeling fairly nervous about the phone interview. I know the basic's I just can't get away from the lack confidence with an interview on the phone.

Does anyone know if I am going to be asked about past experience's? or Can you give me an example of? and so on or is it the going to be reiterating my CV. Is it as daunting as I feel it is going to be?

Duke

niallharper 12-01-2010 21:51

Can I ask, what did they ask you in the phone interview? I've got mine coming up in a few days and i don't have a clue what there going to ask!!!
Many thanks.

lukebowdler 14-01-2010 12:38

Hi all, im new on here. i have a date for an assessment centre with virgin media in wythenshawe. any one else been on one already or got one coming up? cheers

Dukefever 14-01-2010 16:07

Hi all,

I have had my 2nd phone interview and I am awaiting the result before (hopefully) being invited to an assessment day. I have not got a clue how I have done but I can tell you a little about my experience

In the first interview I was asked a couple of very straight forward questions. There was nothing difficult to answer. I believe the questions are random but if you are due to have one then I would not worry. I was asked about what the company offer to customers and then a series of what 5 things would you have to consider in a number of scenarios such as health and safety when using ladders / tools and arriving at a job.

The second phone interview was completely different to what I had prepared for. I was expecting a series of questions you would expect at a face to face interview. The types of questions relating to Tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, why should we employ you, what do you know about us and where do you see yourself in 5years etc etc... It was in fact a behaviour evidence answer interview. In my case I was asked to give examples about a time when I did it..... How did you do it why did you and what was the outcome etc etc. Basically I was asked to prove my skills by explaining an example whilst maintaining structure. There is plenty of time to answer each question and as the interviewer was typing what I was saying I found that I had time to think about my next step. I had to think on my feet and although I was surprised I completed the interview and felt confident afterwards (famous last words).

This was in my case so please don't take this as what will happen if you are due a phone interview. My advice would be to be yourself, take your time and think about your answer. The interviewers are friendly and are not pushy so although its easy to say just relax.

I hope this gives an insight into what to expect without giving the impression this will definately be the case for others.

Good luck to niallharper & lukebowdler

Duke

lukebowdler 14-01-2010 17:04

cheers duke. i heard back after my second interview on monday. the interview was on the thursday prior.

where are you based?

Dukefever 14-01-2010 17:15

I have applied for West Yorkshire area how about you? How did you feel about your interview?

Was it similar to how I described my experience?

Duke

lukebowdler 14-01-2010 17:22

i live near manchester but the area i applied for was wigan.

the phone interview went ok. i felt like i had sometime paused for too long but i think i was just waiting to hear the interviewer acknowledge what i had said. all the questions were the same though. i guess it just checks that you are capable of putting a sentence togther.

Dukefever 14-01-2010 18:24

I found that by listening to the typing I could judge when to talk again. I was pleased that the interviewer never had to ask me to stop as that showed that I wasn't speaking too fast.

I wonder how many I am up against though. If you imagine all the shortlisting that must take place in order to carry out all these interviews and stages. We are basically being eliminated at each stage in order to cut the number of applicants. I am sceptical about this method of recruiting as nerves can discredit you. It is just not the same as face to face interviews where you can really judge the character.

Duke

Waldo Pepper 14-01-2010 18:57

Contractors are no different. They are a business trying to survive and give their best (and what they can get away with) to their customers.

If you prove good at your job, then they will look after you. Even if involves making the tea for the first month.

In the days of apprentices (remember them), you were often asked for a tube of elbow grease from stores or a left handed hammer, upside down nails, backward screwdriver.
This in a PC world like we live in would floor us. It used to be called humour from time served men. Now it's a death sentence in terms of occupational hazards.

niallharper 14-01-2010 19:56

Thanks to all that have posted up to help out with what to expect from the interview tomorrow. I have my first tomorrow and am very worried! Sure i will be fine!

Seleroman 14-01-2010 20:16

You will be fine!! 1st and 2nd phone interviews are just common sense really!! If virgin are only paying £17000 for a techy then they are not expecting someone with a degree in nuclear science!! Good luck anyway!

niallharper 14-01-2010 20:21

Not even 17k. Im going for a apprenticeship with them. After 18 months i become a techy and go up to 17k

niallharper 15-01-2010 13:03

Just had my interview. Don't think I did well at all!! I was told it's about 7 days till
I find out what the outcome is. How long have people had to wait?

Seleroman 15-01-2010 13:25

Well it took them 7 days to come back to me. Then I did a online assessment. Then 3 days later they rung me and offered me a day in sunny swindon for a open assessment day. That this Tuesday so don't give up hope matey!!!

Dukefever 15-01-2010 15:29

Still waiting myself. Only been 3days though. Why do you not think you did well?

Duke

niallharper 15-01-2010 22:50

Well ive never really been very good with this sort of thing. tend to get very nervous. I tried to prepare my self by running over answers for a lot of interview questions. When i had the interview all the questions i had were nothing like i expected. just panicked!
All i can do now is just be hopeful. Now that i think back, i think my answers were okay, just the way i put them across wasnt brilliant.

Dukefever 15-01-2010 23:58

I am sure you will have done ok. Its these types of occasions where you will always think about it afterwards and realise that you could have said this instead and in that way.

Perfectly normal. I have been replaying my interview, lol.

Where have you applied for?

Duke

niallharper 16-01-2010 09:03

Yeah hope your right lol. I've applied for apprentice field tech in south London. You?

Dukefever 16-01-2010 10:20

Field Tech, West Yorkshire.

Duke

Forcefire 16-01-2010 21:24

Hey,

I have applied for the same job as you Dukefever, in the same area too. I have had both my first and second interview. I didn't hear from them after 3 days like they said once I'd had the 2nd interview so I had to call the number they gave me. I was told I had passed the 2nd interview but the problem was is they don't have the information for the assesment interview so I'm hanging about waiting now and its been almost 2 weeks since my 2nd interview.

Anyone know what to expect on the "assessment day" as I've never been to one before, always had normal interviews.

Dukefever 16-01-2010 23:26

Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

That doesn't sound very promising. It's like they are not organised.

I don't know anymore about the assessment date. Still waiting for someone to offer an insight. Good luck though Forcefire.

Keep us posted

Duke

Forcefire 17-01-2010 09:41

Thanks for the welcome :)

It doesn't sound promising does it, I had my 1st telephone interview on the 4th Jan too and my 2nd 2 days later. If I get an update I'll post.

As your appling for the same job in the same area have you heard from them?

Dukefever 17-01-2010 10:50

Nothing as yet. I didn't get a phone number though, they just said the next stage would be an invitation to an assessment day and I should hear from them in 7 to 10days.

Duke

Forcefire 17-01-2010 15:26

So do you know if you've passed the 2nd stage or are you waiting around to find that out? When I rang it was let slip that if you get an email its a "Thanks but no thanks" kinda thing.

I got given a number to ring after my 1st interview and was given it again after the 2nd so I'm surprised you weren't given it.

Dukefever 17-01-2010 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forcefire (Post 34946682)
So do you know if you've passed the 2nd stage or are you waiting around to find that out? When I rang it was let slip that if you get an email its a "Thanks but no thanks" kinda thing.

I got given a number to ring after my 1st interview and was given it again after the 2nd so I'm surprised you weren't given it.

I am still waiting to find out if I have been successful on my 2nd Phone interview.

As regards to the end of each interview, I first received a call last Tuesday and had the 1st interview there and then. He told me straight away that I had past and that he will see when there is a slot for the 2nd interview. I was then told he could not arrange one there and then but promised that I would be contacted when a slot was available. This happened the following day and within 2hrs I was starting the 2nd interview. No number was given at the end of the 1st interview.

At the end of the second interview I was simply told that I would be contacted within 7 - 10days after it had been assessed. It was explained to me that the next stage is an assessment day that I would be invited to attend.

It would appear then, if you where given a number that I might be best to expect an email shortly "Thanks but no thanks".

Perhaps you could PM me the number and I could call them if I don't get the email.

Duke

Forcefire 17-01-2010 18:57

Its odd that you weren't given a number and my 2nd interview was arranged after my 1st so I guess they are getting through more than expected so thats why theres a delay. If you want the number then let me know and I'll pass it on, but I was told I'd hear within 3 days (not 7-10 like you) so thats the reason I gave when I rang.

Not a good start for them is it, lol.

Dukefever 17-01-2010 20:21

Lol,

No it's not a good start but if I wasn't on here talking about it then I would be non the wiser lol.

Perhaps we have been speaking with different agencys dealing with the preliminary recruitment.

Duke

piggo68 19-01-2010 13:08

I was told when I rang them that they are still sorting out venues etc for the assesments and they probably wouldn't be until February.
I have V.M. recruitment phone number, but unsure if it's ok to post on here?
:p:

Forcefire 19-01-2010 14:29

Welcome to the forum :)

Did they say that was a national thing or just your area which is Wales (judging by your location).

I'm going to give them a few days and drop them a call, makes you wonder why they are doing all the phone interviews now if the assements locations aren't even sorted, by feb poeple could have found other jobs so it does seem odd do do all the phone interviews straight away.

piggo68 19-01-2010 15:39

She didn't say , I suppose it depends how many interviewees there are at the moment.

Dukefever 19-01-2010 16:14

Perhaps there are not enough applicants at this stage to warrant booking an assessment date.

Still not heard about passing my 2nd interview. Perhaps you could confirm the contact number I have is right Forcefire? The last 4 numbers are 1472.

Duke

Forcefire 19-01-2010 17:47

Dropped you a PM mate with the full number I got.

bart man 19-01-2010 18:10

anyone know anything about the assessment day. i'm guessing the colour blindness test must be first. would be pointless doing anything else if your colour blind!

Dukefever 19-01-2010 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart man (Post 34948189)
anyone know anything about the assessment day. i'm guessing the colour blindness test must be first. would be pointless doing anything else if your colour blind!

Hi bart man

Check this thread out for basic info of assessment day. There is a little info.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22...interview.html

Regards

Duke

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forcefire (Post 34948179)
Dropped you a PM mate with the full number I got.

Thanks man

Duke

niallharper 20-01-2010 20:18

Weird things are going on with my application. I still havent heard back from them about my first phone interview but today i looked at my application on their jobs site. I have been withdrawn from the south london apprenticeship. Also, the north london apprenticeship (i applied for both north and south london apprenticeships) has been changed to field service technician (17k - 22k). Anyone have any clue whats going on?

Maybe my CV was just so good that they have put me in for the Field service technician? lol

JayJay 20-01-2010 23:03

Can someone please PM me with the number you was provided with? Thanks very much :)

niallharper 21-01-2010 21:23

Phoned Virgin today to enquire about why the job i had applied for has changed. They had cocked it upand have changed it back. I also found out that i did the interview for Service field technician and passed!! Well chuffed. Just got to wait now and see when my next interview is (or by what she was saying on the phone, i get invited to the open day)

Dukefever 21-01-2010 21:39

Good news Niallharper, well done.

Duke

sollp 22-01-2010 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by niallharper (Post 34949705)
Phoned Virgin today to enquire about why the job i had applied for has changed. They had cocked it upand have changed it back. I also found out that i did the interview for Service field technician and passed!! Well chuffed. Just got to wait now and see when my next interview is (or by what she was saying on the phone, i get invited to the open day)

What they want are people who are customers focused,flexible,work hard,(like any company) has initiative, customer focus,fun,enthusiastic,customer focused. Really push this on all contact you have with VM.

Supposed i'd better leave VM after writing that then!

Dukefever 22-01-2010 21:17

[QUOTE=Supposed i'd better leave VM after writing that then![/QUOTE]

Lol, have you been there too long?

Duke

Forcefire 22-01-2010 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 34950203)
What they want are people who are customers focused,flexible,work hard,(like any company) has initiative, customer focus,fun,enthusiastic,customer focused. Really push this on all contact you have with VM.

Supposed i'd better leave VM after writing that then!

In speaking to them and doing the phone things I get the impression they are customer focased, maybe after all the years of bad rep cable companies have gotten they are trying to turn it around.

I must admit a team made me laugh recently, one of my neighbours was getting cable installed and a van turned up, an older bloke and a young lad were in it, while the older bloke was inside the young lad was stood by the van hitting himself on the head with some cable. I stood laughing untill the older bloke came out and saw this and gave the young lad a real yelling at which made me laugh even more. The sight of this lad hitting his head with cable still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Dukefever 26-01-2010 20:38

Hi all,

I have been successful with my second interview and I am just waiting for a date for the assessment. Looking good so far, very pleased.

Will keep you posted about the assessment day.

Duke

niallharper 26-01-2010 20:46

Glad to hear duke. I myself am waiting for a date for the interview day so no doubt we will bump into eachother. Think they do one every month and I believe that
Januarys one wad the 19th. Getting impatient now! Nervous to hear what's happening with my application.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Glad to hear duke. I myself am waiting for a date for the interview day so no doubt we will bump into eachother. Think they do one every month and I believe that
Januarys one wad the 19th. Getting impatient now! Nervous to hear what's happening with my application.

carrotman 26-01-2010 21:07

Had my assessment on monday. You get your colour blindness test first; what colours are on each cable, then its split into three parts. First I got my interview(very customer focused ie tell me about a time when you had a awkard customer and how you dealt with it)stuff like that. Second i had my presentation, did that infront of six people(4 of us in the group + 2 assessors.) this depends on how many people there are for the job only 8 turned up out of 14 i think. Finally there was the group team challenge, drop a egg from 3meters with out breaking it. You get certain items to build something to stop the egg from smashing.I let myself down here too quiet in this challenge. ther was 4 assessors marking us on this, probably seeing how we interact as a team.
They were after 3 techs for newcastle up against ex bt,electrial contract engineer + a sky engineer

Dukefever 27-01-2010 06:36

Sounds like fun carrotman.

Could you tell us alittle more about your presentation? I was wondering if you can talk about any subject or is it set for you?

Thanks

Duke

carrotman 27-01-2010 11:48

You can talk about any subject. I talked about Jeff Dunham the American ventriloquist and his puppets. Got a couple of smug grins from the assessors. the others talked about computers, honeymoon in mexico when the hurricane struck in 2005 and the other talked about his life.

dog2001uk 27-01-2010 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrotman (Post 34952727)
drop a egg from 3meters with out breaking it. You get certain items to build something to stop the egg from smashing.

I've gotta ask, I'm intrigued. Did you use a net on a pole underneath it to catch it?

carrotman 28-01-2010 12:07

wish we could of. Quite funny the design we came up with, none of us had any confidence init. But it worked and the egg didn't smash

Forcefire 28-01-2010 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrotman (Post 34953743)
wish we could of. Quite funny the design we came up with, none of us had any confidence init. But it worked and the egg didn't smash

what were you given to use then?

carrotman 28-01-2010 15:04

They gave us 3 sheets of a4 paper, 3 tissues,full packet of chewing gum,about 10-12 cocktail sticks,about 8 pencils, ball of string,sissors,3 balloons i think that was is. We had 40 minutes to do the task. They didn't actually drop it from 3meters they just threw it up in the air.

skratch 03-02-2010 18:49

Hi all i am new on here i have come across this post from a Google search.
I am like many of you are waiting for an assessment date after passing two phone interviews.
I rang the recruitment line after waiting over 10 days for them to let me know if i was successful they told me i was and someone will be in touch with me well about 3weeks on and still nothing has anyone had the same problems and have been on an assessment day yet.
thanks

niallharper 03-02-2010 18:58

Hi skratch
Im in the same boat as you at the moment. Phoned them 2 weeks ago to find out if i passed my phone interview. Was successful. Still waiting for a call about the assessment day.
If i haven't heard anything by tomorrow night, i will phone them on friday and see whats going on.
I thought they were waiting to get a lot of people together for it but from what ive read on here, these assessment days are normally only 8 - 10 people.

If you hear anything from them, let us know!

wouldbetech 10-02-2010 19:40

Hi there all another newbie here.
I Have had an experience with virgin media recruitment letting me down.
I thought i would post and give my experience so far with them.

Applied for a field engineer job on their website early last week then got a call from them on friday afternoon but told them could they ring me back at half five as i wouldnt be driving then.
Got home waited for the phone call.No call.
Anyway was driving again on monday when i received a call from them again so pulled up.Had the first screening interview all was ok.They said ok we will give you call on wednesday for your phone interview(i thought great)
Wednesday came got myself sorted out(found out a bit more about the company etc).Found a quiet area in the house and waited in anticipation for the call.There wasnt one.
Are they as organised with there employees as well as potential ones?Im not sure?