Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686260)

danielf 12-03-2012 12:24

Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban

Quote:

Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban
Why not pipe water from north to south?
Water companies across southern and eastern England are to introduce hosepipe bans amid drought conditions.

Seven firms say they will impose water restrictions after two unusually dry winters left reservoirs, aquifers and rivers below normal levels.

Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.

The drought-affected areas are the south-east of England and East Anglia.
Possibly before the end of March :shocked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

denphone 12-03-2012 12:30

Re: Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35397908)
Possibly before the end of March :shocked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

Yes just before l left Fareham yesterday my parents siad there was a chance of this happening but l really did not expect it to come this early.

Mick 12-03-2012 12:36

Went for a drive yesterday (Live in the North West) and every reservoir I passed (At least 4) was full to the brim, infact one was over flowing, so if one wonders why North will not be getting a hose pipe ban, this is why.

Arthurgray50@blu 12-03-2012 12:39

There is three points to make regarding this ban coming out.

1) Why doesn't all the water companies have an arrangement with the Scottish Water companies and arrange for water to be distributed around the country from Scotland, they have plenty of water and get much of it from the mountains.

2) Even if this water ban comes out you are still going to see ' hand washing companies' wasting water by washing cars, near where l live in Hounslow on the A4, cars were queuing up to have there cars washed - what a waste of water that is.

3) The UK is surrounded by water, why can't we use this, I was at a water plant one day in a job l had, and they were pumping in water from the RIVER THAMES to get cleaned and use - why can't we carry on doing that.

Kymmy 12-03-2012 12:42

I remember in '94 when all the tankers were lined up besides the reservoirs along the M62 between lancashire and yorkshire..

I'm fed by Anglian water but I'm more worried about the allotment which is afew miles away though I'm not sure of the water company there.

geminian68 12-03-2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35397917)
There is three points to make regarding this ban coming out.

1) Why doesn't all the water companies have an arrangement with the Scottish Water companies and arrange for water to be distributed around the country from Scotland, they have plenty of water and get much of it from the mountains.

I read an article about that last week ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17314545

Quote:

The Scottish government has offered to provide water for drought-hit areas in the south of England.
Quote:

London's Mayor, Boris Johnson says water could be exported to the south of England via a series of canals.

But Scottish Infrastructure Minister, Alex Neil, has suggested harnessing it to work to build the High Speed Rail system (HS2).
Quote:

The Meteorological Office said the wettest place in Scotland was Cluanie Inn near Fort William which recorded 780 mm of rainfall in January and February 2012

By contrast, Colchester in Essex, England's driest county, recorded just 554.9 mm throughout the whole of 2011.
Quote:

Boris Johnson's plan is based on a plan first proposed in 1942 by J F Pownall.

He suggested a canal could be built along a natural 'contour' down the spine of England, around the 300ft (100m) level, from the Scottish borders to the south east.

To ensure water pipes laid alongside could carry surplus Scottish water would mean extending the railway to Scotland - something the SNP want, but which the UK coalition government has so far resisted.

Pierre 12-03-2012 13:09

No ban up here in god's own country.

denphone 12-03-2012 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35397943)
No ban up here in god's own country.

Nor down here in god's wonderful country.:)

jb66 12-03-2012 13:17

Another reason to leave the uk, can sell water as well as oil to engerland

Taf 12-03-2012 13:19

Stop building in the water poor south before it turns into an arrid desert full of yuppies?

Or maybe some of the immigrants are Terraforming it to what they knew "back home"?

Arthurgray50@blu 12-03-2012 14:47

heero yuy, l do take your point of dirty cars etc, BUT everywhere you look now there is an illegal Car washing scheme going, they don't recycle the stuff it just goes down the drain.

Chris 12-03-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by geminian68 (Post 35397939)
I read an article about that last week ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17314545

An inept suggestion that truly shows why the SNP might well be competent to handle devolved powers within Scotland but are a truly terrifying prospect once major national infrastructure considerations come into play.

The needs of water and rail are completely different. A high speed train can take an uphill gradient without serious bother; for water it's an engineering challenge solved with expensive pumping infrastructure. The 1940s plan to contour down the spine of England makes that suggestion for good reason: simply, it is the most efficient way to handle a process that would be vastly expensive even to get off the drawing board.

The SNP is trying to show itself as a capable party of national government ready to negotiate on equal terms with its southern neighbours but has simply shown once again a knack for being naive and provincial. Scotland deserves better.

Gary L 12-03-2012 15:30

No hosepipe ban has ever stopped me from using the water I pay for.
if anything it makes me use more.

I'll tell you who wastes water. firemen washing peoples bloody cars when they're bored on a hot summers day! :)

Osem 12-03-2012 15:31

Our local aquifer fed ponds have been empty since late last year and that's the first time I've ever seen them all empty in well around 25 years. I'm not sure if it's ever happened before but we know quite a lot of people who've lived in this area far longer than us and nobody I've spoken to has known the situation to be this bad at this time of year.

What with the problem of building on flood plains etc. and various infrastructural issues, it does rather highlight the consequences of continuing to concrete over the SE and allowing it's population to mushroom.

mertle 12-03-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35397914)
Went for a drive yesterday (Live in the North West) and every reservoir I passed (At least 4) was full to the brim, infact one was over flowing, so if one wonders why North will not be getting a hose pipe ban, this is why.

ours apparantly 3/4 full but still planning to take by anglian water to support worst areas.

In past not always been whole anglian water under restrictions wait see.

Anyway anybody want to look at the latest info on river soil resevoir enviromental data

Monthly & Weekly reports

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ons/33995.aspx

martyh 12-03-2012 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35398005)
heero yuy, l do take your point of dirty cars etc, BUT everywhere you look now there is an illegal Car washing scheme going, they don't recycle the stuff it just goes down the drain.

It's not illegal Arthur,allowing it to flush down a drain is what is suppose to happen as long as it hasn't got any hazardous chemicals in it .From the drains it goes to the water treatment works and then back to the taps .So flushing water down the drains is recycling the water.

Osem 12-03-2012 21:26

Clearly dear old Arthur doesn't realise the water he's drinking has passed through any number of people before it gets to him.... :D

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde...s.xsl/8372.htm

chris9991 12-03-2012 21:31

Someone said to me that if you have a water meter you can carry on using your hose pipe. I think they were telling porkies but are they right?

I couldn't find anything when I looked round the web

Hugh 12-03-2012 21:35

Porkies...

mertle 12-03-2012 21:51

Why is it happening though dont mean bans the way our country now getting big drought areas others not.

I wondering if its greanhouse effect more population circulate in one area of the country. It heats up effects weather paterns. With it warms up can cause problems with rainfall in the high population area cause arid dry area.

I read awhile back skyscrapers buildings with alot glass in america causing issues like sun magnet becomes hotter.

Which then if all houses moved to solar could it have adverse effect to rainfall. So tipping the balance.

News says there considering more resevoirs underground water holding locations.

I know in lincolnshire they was going build massive gas holding place in the ground. So something like this could work.

http://www.wingas-storage.com/100909_saltfleetby.html

Problem is HOW to tap into mother nature we got antiquated system resevoirs cant move what was afluent rainfall location might be poorly situated 2012 could be again another year perfect location. Net result we really got setup at whatever the cost system and structure to maximise rainfall catching. Once caught a way to maximise not losing that water to evaporation.

However we also must be in hamony with mother earth.

The work they done was complete waste money just fudges the edges like damning around south watched it countrylife few weeks back.

I actually think we would be better off scrapping the birmingham-london new link put in paying for better water management system and better infrastructure. At least we all benefit.

Maggy 12-03-2012 23:50

A hosepipe ban is not going to make much difference to most of us.It will however be more of an inconvenience to farmers and other food producers and certain industries.Let us hope that it doesn't lead to redundancies

Only if we get to standpipes in the streets will there be any problems.

danielf 12-03-2012 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35398257)

It might revive our bucket making industry though ;)

mertle 13-03-2012 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35398257)
A hosepipe ban is not going to make much difference to most of us.It will however be more of an inconvenience to farmers and other food producers and certain industries.Let us hope that it doesn't lead to redundancies

do you think it might get a government realise urgency to modernise the water infrastructure.

Maggy 13-03-2012 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35398277)
do you think it might get a government realise urgency to modernise the water infrastructure.

That's for the Water industry to sort out.

I was always particularly against privatising water because of our total reliance on the product something we have no choice over,

Gas,electricity,transport,mail,communications we could survive by finding alternatives sources or using other alternatives or by switching..Not so with water.

ntluser 13-03-2012 16:21

We definitely need to build desalination plants.

It's pointless building more reservoirs and adopting efficient water economy measure if there is inadequate rainfall and no water in the first place.

Desalination plants are expensive to build but then so are nuclear power plants and we still build those.

It's ironic and pathetic that, as an island surrounded by water, we should have a water shortage.

Arthurgray50@blu 13-03-2012 16:44

If this does come in to London, it will be annoying if l see local football clubs ie the Sunday grounds, constant put water onto the grounds, this is wasteful.

A local ground near me the last time this ban was in, was running a water spray 24 hours a hour, and they were told as it was a business it was legal - the ground is used ONCE a week.

Osem 13-03-2012 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35398697)
We definitely need to build desalination plants.

It's pointless building more reservoirs and adopting efficient water economy measure if there is inadequate rainfall and no water in the first place.

Desalination plants are expensive to build but then so are nuclear power plants and we still build those.

It's ironic and pathetic that, as an island surrounded by water, we should have a water shortage.

The UK doesn't have a water shortage, just parts of it. To be fair the last time this sort of thing happened was in 1976 wasn't it? Hardly a regular event then.....

Tim Deegan 13-03-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35398005)

National car wash day (organised by the Fire Service Charity), was cancelled last week due to the water shortage.

mertle 13-03-2012 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35398281)
That's for the Water industry to sort out.

I was always particularly against privatising water because of our total reliance on the product something we have no choice over,

Gas,electricity,transport,mail,communications we could survive by finding alternatives sources or using other alternatives or by switching..Not so with water.

true I totally agree however think gas and electric very much same issue to regardless how they break it up its a necessary comodity should be titely under national control.

but here for solution government build the infrastructure for return part ownership of the companies. If they dont want it then they foot the bill severe regulation to monitor bills it comes out there own profits.

One way put smoking barrel get it part back into public ownership by offering the carrot solving the issue.

Now my thoughts is why cant a public owned company run like private company but ownership is in public hands. Profits then go into back of the company and into treasury. It actually might be way to raise treasury funds.

Maggy 13-03-2012 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35398806)
true I totally agree however think gas and electric very much same issue to regardless how they break it up its a necessary comodity should be titely under national control.

No Gas and Electricity are a different issue because you can choose not to use them and use alternatives.Not so with water.It is a commodity that we require to live.

Hom3r 13-03-2012 21:33

We have a garage opposote our house and we pay for a water pipe which enabled us wash our cars. The other day I noticed it had been removed :mad:

What about those who have a tank in ther garden which is used to catch rain water and store it, would they be banned from watering ther gardens with that.

Tim Deegan 13-03-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35398902)
What about those who have a tank in ther garden which is used to catch rain water and store it, would they be banned from watering ther gardens with that.

I think that is fine. But the ban isn't from watering your plants, or washing your car. It's from using a hosepipe, as this is wasteful. You can still use a bucket.

nomadking 13-03-2012 23:09

You can water your plants/garden with used bath water.

danielf 14-03-2012 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35398939)
You can water your plants/garden with used bath water.

Yes, plants love soapy water :erm:

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35398954)

Apparently they don't mind it :confused:

nomadking 14-03-2012 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35398954)

Apparently many do.
Link
Quote:

Question
Can I water my garden plants and vegetables with my used bath water?
Answer
Yes, you can water your plants with your bath water. It is a great way of helping your plants in the current drought conditions. In the last major drought in the UK, many gardeners found that using used bath water with bubble bath etc. created bumper crops because of the water containing high levels of phosphates. The only thing to remember is that if you live in a hard water area your acid loving plants such as azaleas will not be too keen on this water because of the high lime content.

Osem 14-03-2012 09:11

Yes, in 1976 we used to use our bath and washing up water on the garden and our allotment with no ill effects whatsoever (except that all the plants were much cleaner than normal :D ) We've done the same thing several times on odd occasions since and it's fine.

The hose ban does make even this more difficult though as using a hose to siphon water from the bath is far easier than faffing about trying to fill buckets in water which is just a few inches deep.

Gary L 14-03-2012 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35399023)
The hose ban does make even this more difficult though as using a hose to siphon water from the bath is far easier than faffing about trying to fill buckets in water which is just a few inches deep.

Are you seriously suggesting that you won't use a piece of rubber piping (commonly known as a hose pipe) to siphon water from a bath because 'they' told you not to? :)

Osem 14-03-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35399030)
Are you seriously suggesting that you won't use a piece of rubber piping (commonly known as a hose pipe) to siphon water from a bath because 'they' told you not to? :)

That's my 'official' view yes... :D

The thing is that neighbours, passers by etc. can and do sometimes report people they see using hose pipes during drought situations and I'd rather not take the chance of that happening and us having to prove to the water company that it was only bath water...

I'll therefore be sticking to the letter of the law... ;)

martyh 14-03-2012 10:28

I remember in the hot summer of '76 in birmingham the water board used ariel photographs to see which houses had green grass ,those with green grass got a visit

Osem 14-03-2012 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35399055)
I remember in the hot summer of '76 in birmingham the water board used ariel photographs to see which houses had green grass ,those with green grass got a visit

Yup, it all got very sneaky and nasty at times.

martyh 14-03-2012 10:37

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...sepipe-scandal

Quote:

Customers were furious last night to discover that prices will rise by up to eight per cent – double the rate of inflation – from April 1.
Four days later, 22 million households will have curbs imposed on their supplies.
That's a bit cheeky

Pog66 14-03-2012 12:01

...I hope all golf clubs & other sports grounds are not exempt

martyh 14-03-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog66 (Post 35399096)

I think businesses are exempt ,as it should be

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:

At present, the ban will only apply to domestic use of hosepipes for things like gardening, washing cars and windows and filling paddling pools. Businesses and other commercial operations are not affected.
http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/g...7DEFA672B.aspx

mertle 14-03-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35398834)
No Gas and Electricity are a different issue because you can choose not to use them and use alternatives.Not so with water.It is a commodity that we require to live.

depends where you live alot have to have them so pretty much reliant on there existence.

Now yes you could buy generator but it will run on fuel source.

I would think 75% of our contry could not do with either gas or electric so it mute point they are just as important to live. Without heat we die in the cold without food cooked we cant survive. Although second we can go out buy fish and chips cooking is agreed not a comodity. However it still depends on income whether you can afford or physically able to go out to get something to eat.

What you think my idea to support the restructure by taking big cakes in ownership.

mertle 14-03-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog66 (Post 35399096)

in my area businesses was exempt but told to be careful of use edit martyh beat me to the anglian water news

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35399030)

The trouble is that they use helecopters to check for hosepipes. And if they see a hosepipe with water coming out of it, there is no way for them to tell where it is coming from. Although I don't know where you would stand legally.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35399099)
I think businesses are exempt ,as it should be

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/g...7DEFA672B.aspx

I think businesses that need the water, like farms, car washes, etc... should be exempt, because it stops their income otherwise. But you can still play golf on a dry course with brown grass. It may not be as good, but you can still play.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35399102)
depends where you live alot have to have them so pretty much reliant on there existence.

Now yes you could buy generator but it will run on fuel source.

I would think 75% of our contry could not do with either gas or electric so it mute point they are just as important to live. Without heat we die in the cold without food cooked we cant survive. Although second we can go out buy fish and chips cooking is agreed not a comodity. However it still depends on income whether you can afford or physically able to go out to get something to eat.

What you think my idea to support the restructure by taking big cakes in ownership.

Actually Maggy is right. They can cut your gas or electric off, but they can't cut your water off.

You can eat food that doesn't need cooking, and you can wrap up with loads of layers of clothes and blankets to keep warm. But you can't survive without water.

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35399141)
Farms often use local water sources that are subject to abstraction licences that are revoked if river flows or ground water gets too low. AFAIK Farming only accounts for about 1% of water use from public supplies so is pretty minimal.

That depends on the area. In a very rural area, farms probably use the majority of water in dry weather.

Maggy 14-03-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35399116)
The trouble is that they use helecopters to check for hosepipes. And if they see a hosepipe with water coming out of it, there is no way for them to tell where it is coming from. Although I don't know where you would stand legally.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

I think businesses that need the water, like farms, car washes, etc... should be exempt, because it stops their income otherwise. But you can still play golf on a dry course with brown grass. It may not be as good, but you can still play.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Actually Maggy is right. They can cut your gas or electric off, but they can't cut your water off.

You can eat food that doesn't need cooking, and you can wrap up with loads of layers of clothes and blankets to keep warm. But you can't survive without water.

We can also use solar,coal,wood,calor gas and oil based fuels.There are alternatives.

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35399263)
We can also use solar,coal,wood,calor gas and oil based fuels.There are alternatives.

Absolutely

Kymmy 13-06-2012 12:34

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18419163
Quote:

Anglian Water, Southern Water and Thames Water have confirmed that they are to remove the restrictions from midnight on Wednesday.
Not as if we need the hosepipes atm.. Some sunshine though would be great :D

It's gonna be a crazy year on the allotment for soft fruit..

Maggy 13-06-2012 16:02

Well it was sod's law that as soon as they announced a hosepipe ban that we get a deluge for the summer.:rolleyes:

Kymmy 13-06-2012 16:04

Ground water though still isn't anywhere up to normal levels and I would urge everyone to still only use water when they need to.

Maggy 13-06-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35440736)
Ground water though still isn't anywhere up to normal levels and I would urge everyone to still only use water when they need to.

No need to at present.We have had rain right up until yesterday morning and we still haven't had any sunshine.We have had so much that our plants are looking very water logged.It's going to take a lot of continuous sun before we need to even consider watering.

Osem 13-06-2012 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35440736)

Agreed. Our local aquifer fed ponds are still virtually empty and the river reduced to little more than a trickle. There's clearly a long way to go before ground water reserves are back to anything like normal.