Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686106)

jempalmer 20-05-2012 15:00

Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You could ask for a Superhub and use it in modem mode. Since you already have a wireless router it would make sense to utilise it.

General Maximus 20-05-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcilwraith (Post 35430759)
Hi

Yes i have been doubled up (area 24 AL10 Hatfield) from 10Mbs to 20Mbs.

BUT i was getting a solid 9.9 Mbs before, but now i get about 15-16 Mbs. I thought i would get closer to 20 Mbs. They are offering us the super hub for £20 if we have problems. Should i try the super hub? Currently have the blue ntl 250 modem and an Apple Airport Express wireless router. Any advice?? I have heard bad things about the super hub wireless ability.

tbh the shub is rubbish and there is only 1 reason why you would want/need one:

Your ntl 250 modem can handle 20mbit no probs and the only reason why you would get less than that is congestion on the channels you are using. I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly. The shub can use a max of 8 channels to load balance across so if for example the 2 channels you are currently using are congested, it will use the free juice on another channel allowing you to achieve full speed. Now that being said, it isnt neccessarily going to happen. VM enable a certain number of bonded channels by area and by tier and even most of the 100mbit users are only using 5 or 6 channels and I have seen 30mbit users on 3 channels so at most you can hope for 1 extra channel on the shub atm (so you will be load balancing across 3 channels). But as Tesco's says: every little helps

BenMcr 21-05-2012 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35430822)
I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly

As far as I know the Ambit 250 uses 1 channel. Tis only the VMNG300 and SuperHub that can use more than one channel

mcilwraith 21-05-2012 10:08

Thanks for the replies.

So would anyone actually recommend the SuperHub? Will it easily replace my ntl 250 and airport express? Or is the wireless so bad i will end up using my old wireless router? Sometimes you only see the negative stuff on these forums regarding the super hub. Anyone actually like it? And will i get 20Mb/s (as now) or 30Mb/s due to the super hub? Thanks!!

lightboy 21-05-2012 11:14

Derby now available :birthday:

General Maximus 21-05-2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcilwraith (Post 35431060)
Thanks for the replies.

So would anyone actually recommend the SuperHub? Will it easily replace my ntl 250 and airport express? Or is the wireless so bad i will end up using my old wireless router? Sometimes you only see the negative stuff on these forums regarding the super hub. Anyone actually like it? And will i get 20Mb/s (as now) or 30Mb/s due to the super hub? Thanks!!

You can ask anyone and they'll tell you i moan my ass off about the shub all the time and it is only in extreme circumstances that i would ever recommend anyone using it. This is one of those times which i thought would never come :) Honestly though, you'll be a million times better off with the shub and far more likely to get your speed. Each channel runs at 55mbit so you only need yourself and 2 other peeps on the line trying to pull 20mbit each and you are screwed. You'll probably only use 2 or 3 channels on the shub but it is better than 1.

Now this is the big BUT. Whilst i am saying the shub is good for you as a modem, it is flipping pants as a router and i would never recommend anyone using it as a router in a zillion years. By all means ring up for one and use it in modem mode and continue to use you current router.

Ignitionnet 21-05-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35430822)
tbh the shub is rubbish and there is only 1 reason why you would want/need one:

Your ntl 250 modem can handle 20mbit no probs and the only reason why you would get less than that is congestion on the channels you are using. I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly. The shub can use a max of 8 channels to load balance across so if for example the 2 channels you are currently using are congested, it will use the free juice on another channel allowing you to achieve full speed. Now that being said, it isnt neccessarily going to happen. VM enable a certain number of bonded channels by area and by tier and even most of the 100mbit users are only using 5 or 6 channels and I have seen 30mbit users on 3 channels so at most you can hope for 1 extra channel on the shub atm (so you will be load balancing across 3 channels). But as Tesco's says: every little helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35431167)
Each channel runs at 55mbit so you only need yourself and 2 other peeps on the line trying to pull 20mbit each and you are screwed. You'll probably only use 2 or 3 channels on the shub but it is better than 1.

Everyone regardless of whether they are on 30Mb or 100Mb uses every DOCSIS 3 channel available in their local area.

There are no areas with 3 downstream channels now, upgrade to 4 was a prerequisite of 100Mb release and is a bare minimum for areas which have received their automatic downstream upgrade.

v0id 21-05-2012 14:35

My area was semi upgraded the weekend.
I have the 60Mbps download but still stuck on the 3Mbps upload :/

qasdfdsaq 21-05-2012 14:40

Welcome back to the world of one-way internet.

banjo 21-05-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcilwraith (Post 35430759)
Hi

Yes i have been doubled up (area 24 AL10 Hatfield) from 10Mbs to 20Mbs.

BUT i was getting a solid 9.9 Mbs before, but now i get about 15-16 Mbs. I thought i would get closer to 20 Mbs. They are offering us the super hub for £20 if we have problems. Should i try the super hub? Currently have the blue ntl 250 modem and an Apple Airport Express wireless router. Any advice?? I have heard bad things about the super hub wireless ability.

I had terrible trouble with a shub I went from 10 to 30 meg but it was continually locking up running extremely slow and a complete pain so I reverted back to my old modem and 10 meg, don't touch it with a bargepole.

thenry 21-05-2012 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo (Post 35431207)
I had terrible trouble with a shub I went from 10 to 30 meg but it was continually locking up running extremely slow and a complete pain so I reverted back to my old modem and 10 meg, don't touch it with a bargepole.

before or after the firmware update?

banjo 21-05-2012 17:23

Before

thenry 21-05-2012 17:42

and still you say 'don't touch it with a bargepole.' ?

theres modem mode if the combo mode fails to meet requirements.

General Maximus 21-05-2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35431168)
Everyone regardless of whether they are on 30Mb or 100Mb uses every DOCSIS 3 channel available in their local area

I always thought that made sense and wondered why they didnt do it. I thought they enabled so many channels by tier because I have seen a few 30mbit users on 3 channels.

banjo 21-05-2012 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35431218)
and still you say 'don't touch it with a bargepole.' ?

theres modem mode if the combo mode fails to meet requirements.

I have an opinion I gave it to the person who asked the question , and I still say don't touch it with a bargepole !