Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bring Back Fox Hunting (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654524)

martyh 27-08-2009 23:27

Re: Bring Back Fox Hunting

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34862528)
No need to repeat yourself we all understood first time, you think foxes are a pest and should be killed humanely but at the same time your humanity doesn't extend to rats, which I think is interesting, certainly more interesting than the rest of your origional post.

i didn't say i thought fox's were pests ,to me they aren't, to farmers they possibly are my point if you read and understand is that if a pest like a fox is killing your chickens for example ,the most inefficient way of killing said fox/pest, is to get 20+hunters on horse back with 30+dogs to chase it through god knows how many miles of fields in the hope they may or may not catch it coursing injury to horses and dogs when a gun or a better fence would suffice.I i use rats as an example because if the hunters were hunting fox's for the benefit of the countryside i.e to controll a pest then they should feel obliged to do it for the numerous other pests that are prevalent in the countryside
there is only one reason why people would want to hunt a fox in the way they used to is because they enjoy it all other reasons are to justify the bloodlust they crave

TheDaddy 27-08-2009 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34862540)
i
there is only one reason why people would want to hunt a fox in the way they used to is because they enjoy it all other reasons are to justify the bloodlust they crave

Nice use of emotive terminology, not really satisfying any bloodlust though, considering they rarely used to catch anything.

danielf 27-08-2009 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34862552)
Nice use of emotive terminology, not really satisfying any bloodlust though, considering they rarely used to catch anything.

So what's the point then? Surely they can achieve all they want (having a fun day out with lads/ladesses dressed up as idiots (that's a joke btw)) by chasing an artificially laid trail?

If it's about pest control, just get the bazookas out, and deal with the pest efficiently and humanely. If it's about a day out with your mates, find a humane passtime...

TheDaddy 28-08-2009 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 34862556)
So what's the point then? Surely they can achieve all they want (having a fun day out with lads/ladesses dressed up as idiots (that's a joke btw)) by chasing an artificially laid trail?

If it's about pest control, just get the bazookas out, and deal with the pest efficiently and humanely. If it's about a day out with your mates, find a humane passtime...

You'd have to ask some one who participates or is a particular fan of it what the point is but I have heard said that only 2 members of the hunt actually see the kill as the rest have to stay well behind the hounds, so whatever the point is, doesn't sound like bloodlust to me.

danielf 28-08-2009 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34862578)
You'd have to ask some one who participates or is a particular fan of it what the point is but I have heard said that only 2 members of the hunt actually see the kill as the rest have to stay well behind the hounds, so whatever the point is, doesn't sound like bloodlust to me.

I wasn't saying it was bloodlust. To be honest it sounds a lot more like a posh day out to me. Which is fine by me, provided they don't inflict needless suffering to animals. Anyone who claims pest control is the reason for having a fox ripped to bits by a pack of dogs with 20+ people on horseback in tow is just taking the proverbial. If they want their day out, fine. But do it in a humane way. If they want to control the fox population: do it in an efficient way. Just shoot the buggers, and make it as humane as possible.

It's not strange to suggest that needless suffering should be avoided when there is a need to kill an animal is it?

TheDaddy 28-08-2009 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 34862601)
I wasn't saying it was bloodlust. To be honest it sounds a lot more like a posh day out to me. Which is fine by me, provided they don't inflict needless suffering to animals. Anyone who claims pest control is the reason for having a fox ripped to bits by a pack of dogs with 20+ people on horseback in tow is just taking the proverbial. If they want their day out, fine. But do it in a humane way. If they want to control the fox population: do it in an efficient way. Just shoot the buggers, and make it as humane as possible.

It's not strange to suggest that needless suffering should be avoided when there is a need to kill an animal is it?

Ah more of the emotive terminology, needless suffering, ripped to pieces etc most people seem to accept that the fox is killed more or less instantly and research by the Oxford Uni suggests that the average time a fox actually spends being chased is around 15 mins, I wonder what the average time is for a fox to survive being riddled with buckshot, being hung up in a snare or enduring poison, in fact who is to say that hunting isn't preferable to being driven mad and biting at your own sores with mange.

I do agree though it does sound like a posh day out, which is why I suspect a lot of people have a problem with it.

When it comes to hunting I wonder why more people aren't concerned with hounds than the fox, after all thousands of healthy dogs are put down every year for no other reason than old age.

broadbandking 28-08-2009 08:00

Its murder plain and simple, lets try this then the hunters should be chased and attacked and ripped apart by the dogs, that would be fun for me to watch.

Evil is all it is, there is now way to defend it at all, so please flame me if you wish and like been a killer.

injuneer 28-08-2009 08:25

Let's face it, a lot of humans just like killing & destroying things whether it's animals, each other, property or the environment. It's what we excel in, destruction. We must be inherently psychopathic with Lemming like tendencies.

Hugh 28-08-2009 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by injuneer (Post 34862666)
Let's face it, a lot of humans just like killing & destroying things whether it's animals, each other, property or the environment. It's what we excel in, destruction. We must be inherently psychopathic with Lemming like tendencies.

I beg to differ - a small minority may have these tendencies, but I believe that the majority of humanity actually care for each other.

Angua 28-08-2009 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34862578)

Why then have gallops across the countryside not taken the place of fox hunting? Would seem to me to be a better alternative and I am surprised no one has thought of a way of organising such an event.

STONEISLAND 28-08-2009 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 34862656)
Its murder plain and simple, lets try this then the hunters should be chased and attacked and ripped apart by the dogs, that would be fun for me to watch.

Evil is all it is, there is now way to defend it at all, so please flame me if you wish and like been a killer.

With silly comments like that, there’s really no point. :rolleyes:

Pierre 28-08-2009 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 34862656)

And so endeth the rational debate.............

Look, let's not kid ourselves. It is not about pest control.

It's about sport, a blood sport. It's also about a bloodsport that is, historically, undertaken by the so called upper classes.

That said, I still don't see anything wrong with it.

You can't chase after hares and rabbits with dogs anymore, dogs have chased after rabbits for thousands of years, rabbits have evolved to outrun predators, they don't always outrun them but our government think rabbits need a helping hand.

Your probably still allowed to snare a rabbit and let it die in agony though.

And of course there is always fishing, I'm amazed that we're still allowed to do that.

TheDaddy 28-08-2009 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 34862685)
Why then have gallops across the countryside not taken the place of fox hunting? Would seem to me to be a better alternative and I am surprised no one has thought of a way of organising such an event.

Don't know, would having a gallop support the local economies built up on the back of hunting, also you wouldn't need the hounds either. I think they have some sort of mock hunt anyway, drag hunting I believe it's called.

LondonRoad 28-08-2009 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34862713)
Don't know, would having a gallop support the local economies built up on the back of hunting, also you wouldn't need the hounds either. I think they have some sort of mock hunt anyway, drag hunting I believe it's called.

Is that where all the huntsman dress up like Danny La rue?

TheDaddy 28-08-2009 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmitage (Post 34862726)
Is that where all the huntsman dress up like Danny La rue?

Possibly and your horse has to prance instead of gallop