Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685162)

blackthorn 03-02-2012 17:02

Re: Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising again ahead of Prince William visit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374598)
when we withdraw from Afganistan, get we send some of what remains of the British arms forces to the Falklands!

Thats nice of you to send our troops, care to volunteer would you ?

Hugh 03-02-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374635)
Well I agree that the people of the Falklands want to stay British!

Very big of you.....:erm:

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthorn (Post 35374836)
Thats nice of you to send our troops, care to volunteer would you ?

We need to do all we can to defend those Islands!

Hugh 03-02-2012 22:22

And by "We", you mean "they'.........:dozey:

Damien 03-02-2012 22:54

It's always 'they'. I don't understand. When we discuss what the military should be used for you don't need to be in it to have an opinion. The Falklands in British soil, what is the point of the British army if it's not to defend Britons and their land?

Hugh 03-02-2012 22:59

But Alan has a history of volunteering our forces in areas not currently in conflict, to support his proposition....

Alan Fry 04-02-2012 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35375081)
But Alan has a history of volunteering our forces in areas not currently in conflict, to support his proposition....

In this case it is more of a deterrent aganist Argentina, so that no matter how much they complain about the so called "British Occupation" of the Falklands, they would never dare invade alone, unless the whole of South America were involved...

Hugh 04-02-2012 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35375113)
In this case it is more of a deterrent aganist Argentina, so that no matter how much they complain about the so called "British Occupation" of the Falklands, they would never dare invade alone, unless the whole of South America were involved...

Like most of your propositions - extremely unlikely to happen....

Mr Angry 04-02-2012 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35375079)
It's always 'they'. I don't understand. When we discuss what the military should be used for you don't need to be in it to have an opinion.

That's right, you don't. However, in my experience, the opinion of current or ex servicemen & women counts for far more and is better qualified than that of anyone else.

Quote:

The Falklands in British soil

Again with the opinion. The Falklands being "British soil" is not a given. That is the very crux of the issue at hand. If it were the case that the Falklands had simply detached themselves from Portsmouth or somesuch seaboard element of Britain several hundred years ago and elected to drift south then perhaps you might have a point.

Quote:

, what is the point of the British army if it's not to defend Britons and their land?

Regime change, foreign invasion / occupation, peace keeping - loads of different things in addition to defending "Britons and their land".

If only it were that simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35375113)

Bonkers. As usual...

Damien 04-02-2012 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35375153)
That's right, you don't. However, in my experience, the opinion of current or ex servicemen & women counts for far more and is better qualified than that of anyone else.

Which is a handy way of shutting down debate, that I have seen more and more often recently. Someone debates the merits of an armed intervention and are dismissed because they themselves won't be doing the fighting. The Military has always been at the disposal of the Government and when someone joined the armed forces they follow the orders they are given. That's not to say their views are not important but they are not the only views that matter.

Quote:

Again with the opinion. The Falklands being "British soil" is not a given. That is the very crux of the issue at hand. If it were the case that the Falklands had simply detached themselves from Portsmouth or somesuch seaboard element of Britain several hundred years ago and elected to drift south then perhaps you might have a point.
It's British soil. That is a given. It's people are British and it's owned by Britain. Just because Argentina want it doesn't make it disputed. If France started laying claim to the channel islands we would rightly tell them to go away.

DocDutch 04-02-2012 09:22

The problem i see is that if Argentina would decide to invade which would be a hard 1 the British military hasn't got the capability to take it back again without massive assistance from either nato or just the us navy

Sirius 04-02-2012 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35375051)
We need to do all we can to defend those Islands!

OK join up and off you go

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35375081)

Hugh may i be as bold to say that should be Fantasies

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35375153)

Bonkers. As usual...

:LOL:

Hugh 04-02-2012 09:38

I see what you did there..... ;)

(re bold....)

Sirius 04-02-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35375273)
I see what you did there..... ;)

(re bold....)

Indeed ;)

Damien 04-02-2012 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 35375266)
The problem i see is that if Argentina would decide to invade which would be a hard 1 the British military hasn't got the capability to take it back again without massive assistance from either nato or just the us navy

I thought that we were still quite capable.