Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686260)

Hom3r 13-03-2012 21:33

Re: Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban

We have a garage opposote our house and we pay for a water pipe which enabled us wash our cars. The other day I noticed it had been removed :mad:

What about those who have a tank in ther garden which is used to catch rain water and store it, would they be banned from watering ther gardens with that.

Tim Deegan 13-03-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35398902)
What about those who have a tank in ther garden which is used to catch rain water and store it, would they be banned from watering ther gardens with that.

I think that is fine. But the ban isn't from watering your plants, or washing your car. It's from using a hosepipe, as this is wasteful. You can still use a bucket.

nomadking 13-03-2012 23:09

You can water your plants/garden with used bath water.

danielf 14-03-2012 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35398939)
You can water your plants/garden with used bath water.

Yes, plants love soapy water :erm:

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35398954)

Apparently they don't mind it :confused:

nomadking 14-03-2012 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35398954)

Apparently many do.
Link
Quote:

Question
Can I water my garden plants and vegetables with my used bath water?
Answer
Yes, you can water your plants with your bath water. It is a great way of helping your plants in the current drought conditions. In the last major drought in the UK, many gardeners found that using used bath water with bubble bath etc. created bumper crops because of the water containing high levels of phosphates. The only thing to remember is that if you live in a hard water area your acid loving plants such as azaleas will not be too keen on this water because of the high lime content.

Osem 14-03-2012 09:11

Yes, in 1976 we used to use our bath and washing up water on the garden and our allotment with no ill effects whatsoever (except that all the plants were much cleaner than normal :D ) We've done the same thing several times on odd occasions since and it's fine.

The hose ban does make even this more difficult though as using a hose to siphon water from the bath is far easier than faffing about trying to fill buckets in water which is just a few inches deep.

Gary L 14-03-2012 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35399023)
The hose ban does make even this more difficult though as using a hose to siphon water from the bath is far easier than faffing about trying to fill buckets in water which is just a few inches deep.

Are you seriously suggesting that you won't use a piece of rubber piping (commonly known as a hose pipe) to siphon water from a bath because 'they' told you not to? :)

Osem 14-03-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35399030)
Are you seriously suggesting that you won't use a piece of rubber piping (commonly known as a hose pipe) to siphon water from a bath because 'they' told you not to? :)

That's my 'official' view yes... :D

The thing is that neighbours, passers by etc. can and do sometimes report people they see using hose pipes during drought situations and I'd rather not take the chance of that happening and us having to prove to the water company that it was only bath water...

I'll therefore be sticking to the letter of the law... ;)

martyh 14-03-2012 10:28

I remember in the hot summer of '76 in birmingham the water board used ariel photographs to see which houses had green grass ,those with green grass got a visit

Osem 14-03-2012 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35399055)
I remember in the hot summer of '76 in birmingham the water board used ariel photographs to see which houses had green grass ,those with green grass got a visit

Yup, it all got very sneaky and nasty at times.

martyh 14-03-2012 10:37

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...sepipe-scandal

Quote:

Customers were furious last night to discover that prices will rise by up to eight per cent – double the rate of inflation – from April 1.
Four days later, 22 million households will have curbs imposed on their supplies.
That's a bit cheeky

Pog66 14-03-2012 12:01

...I hope all golf clubs & other sports grounds are not exempt

martyh 14-03-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog66 (Post 35399096)
...I hope all golf clubs & other sports grounds are not exempt

I think businesses are exempt ,as it should be

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:

At present, the ban will only apply to domestic use of hosepipes for things like gardening, washing cars and windows and filling paddling pools. Businesses and other commercial operations are not affected.
http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/g...7DEFA672B.aspx

mertle 14-03-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35398834)
No Gas and Electricity are a different issue because you can choose not to use them and use alternatives.Not so with water.It is a commodity that we require to live.

depends where you live alot have to have them so pretty much reliant on there existence.

Now yes you could buy generator but it will run on fuel source.

I would think 75% of our contry could not do with either gas or electric so it mute point they are just as important to live. Without heat we die in the cold without food cooked we cant survive. Although second we can go out buy fish and chips cooking is agreed not a comodity. However it still depends on income whether you can afford or physically able to go out to get something to eat.

What you think my idea to support the restructure by taking big cakes in ownership.