Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

Old 05-01-2006, 22:27   #1
glen8
Inactive

glen8 is an unknown quantity at this point
ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

Just a quickie,

Should my modem be able to download at full 10mb? I have had the 10mb broadband for a few months and when it was first activated the guy on the customer services told me it would be running at about 5-6mb until they finished the uk 10mb install which would be early 2006.

Now I have only ever got 8mb once and normally goes between 4-7mb.

I'm just wondering if my modem has problems at 10mb and I should try and get a newer model modem.

Thanks.
glen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2006, 22:29   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

I'd say not, for a sustained period. But there's obviously much discussion about this in the 10 Mb thread.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 22:33   #3
glen8
Inactive

glen8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
I'd say not, for a sustained period. But there's obviously much discussion about this in the 10 Mb thread.
Yea, I noticed the thread as soon as I made my post. ARGH! I can't believe it, I just spilt my bottle of bud all over the modem
glen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 22:45   #4
Wakar
Inactive

Services: TV: Sky Sports World Package, Internet: NTL Broadband (4MB)
Wakar is on a distinguished roadWakar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen8
Yea, I noticed the thread as soon as I made my post. ARGH! I can't believe it, I just spilt my bottle of bud all over the modem
Theres a reason why they say dont eat or drink near computers. You found out the hard way . Unless your joking of course.
Wakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 19:11   #5
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Have you received the latest update for your modem?

If you go here:- http://192.168.100.1/ (username & password = root) and click on "Operation Configuration", the latest upgrade should show the following:-
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

Old 06-01-2006, 19:31   #6
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

There are varying views on this one. I had an engineer out today after getting very intermittent slow sppeds since being upgraded to 10mb. Some days I would get downloads going at 43k/sec.

Got nowhere with the Indian techies but as soon as those nice chaps at Swansea had a look at it they decided that it would be best to swap the SACM to a NTL 250. (Modem had rebooted itself 160 times since beginning of December & not by me either).

NTL 250 is now installed and what do you know 5-6mb every time. On a lighter note my 120 did me proud and was very sound up until the 10mb upgrade.

Great job NTL.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 00:46   #7
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Also makes a difference whether you're connected to your modem via USB or ethernet - if you're connected with USB, you're unlikely to realise the full 10Mb.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 13:47   #8
fragless
Inactive

Services: 120mb BB
fragless is on a distinguished roadfragless is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

I have a 120 modem and 10mb BB, up to this week I was getting 4 to 7mb, 7mb being the max, then I formatted my pc and did some testing.

Once I had done the install I did a speed test and my speed showed 10mb, so has I loaded programs and content I made a restore point and did a speed test, I found out it was Zonealarm.

After some reading at ZA forum it would appear it is a ongoing problem with ZA.

Hope that helps?
fragless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 14:30   #9
salem
Inactive

salem is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using a 120 connected via firewire, when the upgrades first started i was getting roughly 4.5 to 6 meg.
Things had been a bit rough ping wise and i had a lot of packet loss up until the beginning of this week, since then its been blazing along at between 9 to 10 with very good pings.
I noticed that the maintainence link on the NTL website stated that they were carrying out work on the network at the same time so maybe they are ironing out the kinks caused by the upgrades.

s
salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15   #10
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragless
I have a 120 modem and 10mb BB, up to this week I was getting 4 to 7mb, 7mb being the max, then I formatted my pc and did some testing.

Once I had done the install I did a speed test and my speed showed 10mb, so has I loaded programs and content I made a restore point and did a speed test, I found out it was Zonealarm.

After some reading at ZA forum it would appear it is a ongoing problem with ZA.

Hope that helps?

Well, I have to say that I'm using Zone Alarm, and my connection speed normally seems to run at 8 to 10Mb. Since the times when it drops to 8-ish is usually evenings, I suspect that's more down to other users in this area than anything else.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52   #11
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem
I'm using a 120 connected via firewire
How do you do that?
The 120 (and afaik all other ntl modems) only has USB & Ethernet connections.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote