Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Calls from an area code that shouldnt exist

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Calls from an area code that shouldnt exist

Old 04-02-2015, 13:28   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Calls from an area code that shouldnt exist

i keep getting calls which i have now blocked from a phone number which is 01632 59876. The bloke is definately indian.

Now when i looked at the list of dial codes here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

It says this for 01632...

01632 — unused

0632 was Newcastle upon Tyne (NE) – numbers were transferred to 091 in the 1980s[notes 22]
0632 later used for Premium rate numbers; changed from 0632 to 09xx on 28 April 2001
01632 numbers are now used as fictional numbers for drama purposes

So how am i getting calls from this number?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2015, 13:44   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Calls from an area code that shouldnt exist

Is it on your mobile? If so the Truecaller app (free) will tell you the actual location of standard UK calls.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:00   #3
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the Indian callcentres are now spoofing their caller display information to get around anonymous caller reject and other filtering services. Sometimes as you say they use a valid, but unused number, but in other cases they use the number of another, perfectly legitimate organisation.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:22   #4
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Looks Like They Are Trouble
Old 04-02-2015, 18:44   #5
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

They're almost certainly from some offshore call centre. I was receiving these calls daily for several weeks then by co-incidence (yeah I'm sure) received a call from some shady sounding entity called "call prevention service" who claimed to be able to block unsolicited calls for a monthly fee.

Having challenged the scrote on the other end of the phone as to why he was cold calling a number on the TPS the excuse was that they work in conjunction with the TPS which is of course utter rot and lies then refused to tell me where he was calling from.

Obviously vermin like this are out to prey on the elderly, vulnerable or easily led and need sorting out, preferrably with the ol' wet floor and high voltage transmission cable trick.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:50   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We were called by the "Call prevention service" last week. The Indian-sounding woman on the other end just hung up when I started quizzing her on the exact nature of her call.

We routinely ignore calls which caller ID shows as either Unavailable or Withheld. We also ignore calls where the caller ID seems to be malformed; I would have ignored the number in the OP as it almost certainly has too few digits to be a legit UK number. Very, very few UK numbers are now less than 11 digits.

Having kept this up for well over a year now, I can say there has been a definite reduction in the number of these calls we get, and that's despite our number being all over the Interwebs as we also use it for our B&B.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:53   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Caller ID is certainly your friend here. Even if you can't ban the calls the display alerts you to the stupid calls.
Old 04-02-2015, 21:26   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My dad kept get a call from the same number despite telling them that we are with TPS and not to call

In the end my dad said doen the phone "GO Fuff yourself".

They stopped.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

My surname is unsual, think Beauchamp which is pronounced Beecham.

So when they try and say Beauchamp we say sorry not known, as people who know us know how to say our surname.
Old 07-02-2015, 17:00   #9
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I've been getting these calls from the Indian call centres for a couple of years now and as said, at least with caller display you can choose to ignore the call. Interestingly, when the calls started, the Indian fellow mentioned a Romford double glazing company called Crystal that I had an argument with a couple of years ago. Make of that what you will...

The latest trend is that the calls either come from number 0000 or from a spoofed Nottingham number. At least the Indians are creative!
Old 07-02-2015, 17:25   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

The call was to my landline so i am now able to block it.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:41   #11
fiveinabed
Inactive

fiveinabed is an unknown quantity at this point

01632 is the STD code for Midsomer (used for business and residential numbers in Midsomer Murders)!
fiveinabed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:59   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I don't answer any calls not in my contact list. If it's legit they will leave a message annd I will get in touch if I see fit. Simples.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote