Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:54   #1
Marloe
Inactive

Marloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

From an article in todays Mail on Sunday finance section.

Cable giant NTL will announce tomorrow that it's 1.9 million broadband customers are to get a service of ten megabits a second, the UK's fastest consumer internet service.
Announced with the annual result's, the service will be rolled out to all NTL customers, starting with those signed up to its current fastest rate, three megabits a second - a measure of the amount of the information delivered through the cables. There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.
At the new speed, it will take eight seconds for a full CD of music from a service such as iTunes and only minuets for a whole feature film to download.

Sounds good to me
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 11:58   #2
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: Another speed increase?

Hmmm...a cautious welcome from me - I need to see the full details before saying it's a good thing - plus I would rather Goodland spent a little more time worrying about the current problems rather than creating new ones!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:20   #3
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Excellent news - a quick bit of googling would seem to authenticate it: Here
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28   #4
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

Hmm, don't like the sound of 'different rates' - I wonder if we can stay on our existing speed and package ?

Would be cool if there is an unlimited top package though !
I think the Proxies will melt at 10mb !
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Well done ntl this really will be the dogs. Just a damn shame that I am no longer in a ntl area, I'm sure bop will tell me how good it is though.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:44   #6
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
Would be cool if there is an unlimited top package though !
Hell, chance, a, not, in. Rearrange.

On 10Mbit you could download 100GB a day, 3TB in a 30 day month, and you can pretty much guarantee some complete w***er would do just that to load up his market stall / just because he can.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:44   #7
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

Sounds VERY good to me.

The only thing that worries me is the bit that says you might get charged depending on how much you download.....
Old 07-08-2005, 12:56   #8
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwig
Sounds VERY good to me.

The only thing that worries me is the bit that says you might get charged depending on how much you download.....
What is better though? A 3mbit connection with a 30 gig per month limit or a 10mbit connection with a charge for usage over 30 gig per month?
Old 07-08-2005, 13:00   #9
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Give me.....300gb allowance and I'll kiss Goodlands feet, give me 30 and I'll jump on them. I remember reading something about speed increases to deaden the fall of the cap, I hope it not be a harsh one.

I thought that ntl:home had 1.4 million bb customers, or is that minus the ADSL isps?
Old 07-08-2005, 13:00   #10
Monster Jedi
Permanently Banned

Monster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to all

If the download charges are stupid.I will can tv phone the lot
Old 07-08-2005, 13:03   #11
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
What is better though? A 3mbit connection with a 30 gig per month limit or a 10mbit connection with a charge for usage over 30 gig per month?
Tough choices

I would rather they go for packeges with differing Quotas per month. That way you could choose your tier rather than being told THIS is the limit.....

Failing that just give a nice High cap that only the Market sellers would hit. If they do give a pretty high cap of say 4-500GB per month then they must be farely strict on it.

No news yet on upload speeds but it goes without saying that these will heve to bu upped aswell. Hopefully to 1mbit or maybe higher?

Whatever the case is I don't think prices will be to high because with all the LLU going on 8MB speeds are becoming more and more available accross the U.K and NTL will need to keep within reach of them on price. It seems if this goes ahead they will have them beaten for speed.............

But there are still rumours of tests on 24Mbit through ADSL so I hope they do not take to long to roll out this 10Mbit or when they do they will be playing catch up again.....

Just how fast can this Cable go?? What is the limit of it? Could they match 24Mbit and beyond?
Old 07-08-2005, 13:13   #12
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jedi
If the download charges are stupid.I will can tv phone the lot
You have three different services and logically should look at each in isolation when deciding the supplier to use. Why drop TV and phone because of an issue over broadband charges? If you have decided that NTL is the best supplier for you of TV and phone then dropping them would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face. You should wait and see what terms and conditions are in force before coming to a decision. If you are getting more than a 3mbit connection with at least a 30 gig per month usage allowance then you are getting a better deal than you are on at the moment, no matter what the charges are for usage above the allowance. Some people are never satisfied no matter what is given to them.
Old 07-08-2005, 13:51   #13
icanadvise
Inactive

icanadvise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
I would rather Goodland spent a little more time worrying about the current problems rather than creating new ones!
Fair point but according to this http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=30588 it seems to be Peter Wilcock who is responsible for/worrying about Operational problems
Old 07-08-2005, 13:58   #14
Tragedy
Inactive

Tragedy is an unknown quantity at this point

What the upload gonna be,we gamers want to know?
i would be happy with 4MB and 750k-1MB upload.
Old 07-08-2005, 14:04   #15
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Hope the 2m customers get an increase pro rata.
Closed Thread