Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 17:02   #751
yer nice one
Inactive

yer nice one is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Im currently on the 2mb package,

Soon as the 10mb connection becomes available, Will it be possible for me to upgrade to the 10mb and pay the difference, or would I be stuck on the 2mb, till NTL change the speed tiers,

If I cant upgrade straight away, then I will upgrade now, and have the automatic 10mb once available..

Sorry if this question has already been asked, But at 765 posts its hard to keep up,

Thanks

Slowcoach.... go down the pub and bring us the latest
(Great Job)
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2005, 17:21   #752
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoymarcus
Not that im complaing, Bill C

Old 02-09-2005, 17:21   #753
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

IMHO they will be giving 10Mb to the 3Mb customers first for one reason, they make up the smallest ratio of the price band and therefore its going to be easier to collect the data and analysis problems that will arise.

24Mb ASDL - 10Mb CABLE is like VHS - BETAMAX
Old 02-09-2005, 19:55   #754
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
IMHO they will be giving 10Mb to the 3Mb customers first for one reason, they make up the smallest ratio of the price band and therefore its going to be easier to collect the data and analysis problems that will arise.

Please tell me that was a weak comparison...

it's not 24mb ADSL vs 10mb cable
it is however...
London and high density areas vs the rest of the UK
Old 02-09-2005, 20:11   #755
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I meant technology wise
Old 02-09-2005, 21:03   #756
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles

Yep - cable's technically much better, but ADSL has better movies
Old 02-09-2005, 21:46   #757
yer nice one
Inactive

yer nice one is an unknown quantity at this point

If it comes to the crunch, NTL still have the hand over BT, as they have much shorter copper runs into each house, (correct me if im wrong)

those green boxes in the street have duel copper / coxial going into each house that has the NTL service,

Im not sure around other NTL areas, But those green boxes are every where around my local area, and the line length will be shorter than BT's - Hence More speed, Same product.

In theroy, NTL could offer ADSL2+ over those copper runs if they felt BT and the LLU operators started taking a serious maket share,

In my opinion NTL is in a much better postition than, BT and the lucky few on LLU

I know ADSL already have more users than NTL, but, the question should be how many BT users can get 10mb on there adsl line, compared to NTL

NTL users will be downloading at 1100kb+ while BT users will be losing sync
Old 02-09-2005, 21:58   #758
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer nice one

I know ADSL already have more users than NTL, but, the question should be how many BT users can get 10mb on there adsl line, compared to NTL
Exactly, good post
Old 02-09-2005, 22:27   #759
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruff_rhodes
Exactly, good post

the answer would be an ever increasing amount while cable seems to have stopped doing new areas and is trying to buy more customers rather then expanding

personaly i am on neither side just i dont see ntl as a saviour of broadband any more than bt is

both are not at the forfront of speed qualty or price in comparison to other countries and we realy should be ahead of the world on this
Old 02-09-2005, 23:47   #760
Scopeuk
Inactive

Scopeuk is on a distinguished roadScopeuk is on a distinguished road

and the reason were not ahead of the world on this?

our comunication network was badly neglected under the bt monopoly and is takign time and lots of money to bring up to scratch many other countries have had substantial guverment fundign to help with this and we have no such luck.
Old 03-09-2005, 00:54   #761
Robc66
Inactive

Services: NTL Family Pack, NTL 10MB Broadband, NTL Phone.
Robc66 is on a distinguished roadRobc66 is on a distinguished road

Does any1 know what the unlimited speeds will be yet? Sorry if there is no word on this and im asking a stupid question lol
Old 03-09-2005, 01:19   #762
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
And there you go. Someone that will look at a post and read the correct answer from it. . Yes i am on 3meg so i will be one of the first to benefit from the upgrades when they happen. You are correct it does seem to be cheap shot hunting season at the moment. The last cheap shot before this does not even have the guts to answer his verbal diarrhea. Instead he will come out from under his bridge whenever there is need of some anti NTL verbal diarrhea.

For gods sake people this is a grownups forum not the school yard.
I am not sure if I want 10mb so I am not upgrading to 3mb if NTL eventually upgrade me to 10mb then fine but I am not such a speed freak beside my pc is now getting old and the speed could kill her spirit

Besides with the speed problems I am trying to solve at present, not sure if its proxies or router 10mb would be a waste or kill the router straght away.

Is there any difference between a school yard and these forums once the bell has gone.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:35   #763
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
I have hinted before about how much your ongoing ill informed conjecture really begins to become very irritating. You make sweeping statements of pure rubbish and pass them off as factual. Please desist.

From your numerous posts, you live in an area of LE that was originally cabled to a level that is not compatible with some of the current ntl high spec offerings.

Fine. Just maybe this is being worked on. Meantime, please spare us your considered opinion of what ntl may or may not be planning/doing/not doing/spending. I have hedged around your vexatious outpourings before - but - finally - please desist from posting rubbish with a negative slant. Thanks.
the congested peering is confirmed by ntl staff and affects everyone, I dont call that ill informed.

95% also isnt universal.

If you cant take criticism which wasnt even aimed at you then dont speak at all, but attacking someone personally for good points they made and because you dont agree you try to discredit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoymarcus
In all honesty, i think 10mb is more than enough to accomadate the british public for at least the next 5 years. I think this whole speed increase thing is just a p*ssing contest between ISPs now. And the fact that some are introducing caps emphasises that the speed is just a marketing tool, and most ISPs could not actually sustain that level of speed 24/7.

Its kind of like owning a really nice villa, that you can only use for 1 month of each year

Not that im complaing, Bill C
Someone who knows whats going on. The real truth is the amount you can download is a bigger indication of what you get rather then max speed, especially when 10mbit you will be hard pushed to reach. Now before I offend my friend again, my point also goes to ukonline,bulldog and be for their 24mbit, it is all just a marketing gimmick. Ukonline's 500gig 8mbit is more then 75gig 10mbit tho.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:38   #764
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans
the answer would be an ever increasing amount while cable seems to have stopped doing new areas and is trying to buy more customers rather then expanding

personaly i am on neither side just i dont see ntl as a saviour of broadband any more than bt is

both are not at the forfront of speed qualty or price in comparison to other countries and we realy should be ahead of the world on this
The cablecos are not expanding their cabled areas simply because of the cost of doing so. The most densly populated parts of their areas are probably already cabled so there is a lower revenue potential in remaining uncabled areas. I would imagine it will be quite some time, if ever, before any significant new cabling projects are started. Maybe new builds may be cabled if done in conjunction with ground works for them. The only other possibility would be if cables were strung from poles rather than buried, but I think this unlikely.

Comparing broadband in this country with overseas is like comparing apples with oranges. There are so many factors which affect prices and speeds that vary depending on what part of the World you are in.

Competition is the driving force behind prices and speeds. Many ISP's will only do the minimum they can get away with to avoid spending vast amounts of money. Why would an ISP spend millions upgrading networks if they got little extra revenue from doing so? Whilst there are a vast number of ISPs in the UK, most of them are very small. Most of the well known names that are often talked about on here have a very small user base. Bulldog only having 65,000 customers for example. Are these really a threat to the cablecos? Can they take on many more customers in the near future and remain reliable, given that most of their new customers will be the heavy users that no ISP really wants?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:40   #765
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruff_rhodes
Exactly, good post
After your remark against me, I will be inclined yo reply you want more tissues to wipe ntl's ass with. As anything saying they rock you find a good post.

Now as I said earlier I think both sides have their bad points, ADSL been distance dependant but because of more competition in ADSL area's I think the ADSL isp's have better external peering then NTL, Nildram certianly do. If you only use your connection in the uk and not bothered by poor usa performance then good for you.

Ukonline claim 20% of uk households will be able to get their 24mbit service by oct 2005(source adslguide), I dont know what % of uk households will be able to get ntl's 10mbit in oct 2005.
Closed Thread